Forums Latest Members
  1. PeteInNYC Dec 30, 2016

Hi all,

First time poster here. I am really enjoying the forum and your insights.

I started educating myself about watches earlier this year and quickly found myself wayyy down the rabbit hole. (I'm sure everyone can relate.)

I am now contemplating getting my first Omega. I fell in love with the Speedy Pro but have been torn between the Hesalite look and the sapphire case back. I only recently discovered the 3572, which seems to have the best of both worlds.

I was hoping to get your thoughts on the reference. It seems like the perfect one for me; am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Best,
    Pete

2. kkt Dec 30, 2016

The solid backs have better antimagnetic properties and were therefore the watch that NASA selected etc. etc. So for maximum tradition that would be the choice. However, seeing the movement has its charms too.

i20rider likes this.
  3. b-16707 Dec 30, 2016

You can always buy a regular solid caseback one and then down the line get the Thomas Preik clear caseback for the speedy or if you have $ get the part from a place like ofrei. Abomination? Maybe.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 30, 2016

861 didn't go to the moon either ;)

If you want a display back that is the way I would go. I personally do not like sapphire crystals on speedies. There is no shame with the sapphire back.

PeteInNYC likes this.
  5. JFingers Jan 1, 2017

It's the model I bought after much deliberation. Yes, it is cool to have THE moonwatch with the solid caseback. However, I really enjoy looking at the movement through the sapphire caseback while still having the warmth of the hesalite front. Best of both worlds. And it may not have gone to the moon, but it's gone pretty high...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blue skies, y'all!
    -only jake

6. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 1, 2017

Umm that and the fact that the watch didn't have the option of a display back in the early 60s.

7. Jaacck Jan 1, 2017

Don't get the sapphire sandwich, will always see the milky ring when looking at it dead on

Taddyangle likes this.
  8. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jan 1, 2017

My first Omega was a 3572.50.

Definitely go with the tritium version if you go this route.

I wanted the sapphire case back. Staring at the movement is the reason I went this route. I also ended up buying the case back mentioned above for my Ed White that I bought in 2015.

9. PeteInNYC Jan 1, 2017

First, happy New Year to all. I really appreciate everyone's thoughtful responses. I think I am going to go ahead and pull the trigger.

Btw Jake- if there had been any remaining doubt, they were definitely done away with after seeing your post. Those photos are incredible.

I will post some wrist shots once I pick up the 3572 (likely with my hand on the steering wheel of a minivan as opposed to the cockpit of a fighter jet). [emoji846]

Thanks again,
    Pete

JFingers likes this.
  10. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jan 1, 2017

It will be your first of many Omega Speedmasters. Let's hope not the first of many minivans.

PeteInNYC likes this.
  11. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 1, 2017

If I have followed JFingers postings correctly, and judging by the pressure suit he is wearing, that is actually no mere fighter jet, that is the U2 ultra-high altitude recon aircraft, you know the one that nearly started World War 3 back in 1960. That is about as near to space as you can get without joining NASA and from my little understanding is very tricky to fly and land next to mere fighter jets!

12. JFingers Jan 1, 2017

It is indeed the mighty, mighty U-2S Dragonlady. And while 1960 wasn't great for Mr. Powers, we did help prevent WWIII in 1962 by providing the pictures/intelligence that showed Soviet ICBMs in Cuba (and lost Maj Rudy Anderson in the process). It is also pretty difficult to land. If you're interested, check YouTube for "U-2 landings"... Or imagine trying to ride a bicycle down a mountain at 100 mph with a 12 lb fishbowl on your head while balancing a 105' pole.

But more importantly, @PeteInNYC, good luck finding a 3572! And post pictures when you do!

Blue skies,
    -only jake

Edited Jan 1, 2017
  13. Perseus Jan 3, 2017

I think the Speedy movement is one of the most beautiful movements out there so I'd encourage you to get a display back like the 3572 if you're already leaning that way. I believe that model is discontinued so you may need to hunt for a little bit.

Speedmaster back 2.jpg

PeteInNYC and Taddyangle like this.
  14. PeteInNYC Jan 6, 2017

Just picked it up! Thanks to everyone for your thoughts. I'll start a new with some pics later today.

Jammer005 likes this.