Forums Latest Members
  1. gaf1958 May 22, 2014

A new acquisition for me this week is a Speedmaster 176.0012, colloquially known as the Mk 4.5. Essentially a Mk IV case with the Mk V calibre 1045 (Lemania 5100) movement, it was apparently never officially a "Mark" speedy even though it used the Mk IV case.

When I recently bought my Speedy Mk II re-issue I had to make the decision as to whether to get the grey dial with orange highlights or the black version. I (almost) unhesitatingly went for the grey/orange, with no significant regrets.

This arrival addresses any lingering regrets :) and gives me one new, one vintage!

It looks good, particularly so for a 40-odd year old watch, with an unrestored case and a brand new Omega bracelet. I used a cape cod polishing cloth (very gently) to help remove some light marks from the grained area on the front of the case. It helped restore the "brightness" of the original finish without destroying or diminishing the grained effect. Even next to it's 40 year younger "twin" it holds its own very well...

The old one is lighter than the new, but most of that stems from the old style bracelet being much lighter than the super-solid new one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Etp095, SeanO, khoalety and 7 others like this.
  2. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter May 22, 2014

remarkable how close they kept it to the original :)

3. gaf1958 May 22, 2014

Yes, I also find it interesting how similar the Mk IIs and Mk IVs are. Omega obviously liked the Mark II enough to morph it into the Mk IV and much later resurrect it as a 2014 model.

4. Mathlar May 23, 2014

The new bracelet is also a work of art. It looks so faithful to the original, but with solid steel links and a great clasp - combining the vintage look with modern resilience.

5. shaun hk Fairy nuffer May 23, 2014

They are a great looking pair, the vintage is in lovely conditiion they really don't look 40 years apart

6. Ru4scuba May 25, 2014

Great looking pair! I never liked the old one but the added color to the dial really makes the new one pop IMHO

7. Dablitzer May 25, 2014

Lovely pair! The re-issue is very eye catching....:thumbsup:

8. SeanO May 25, 2014

lovely watches. I'm happy to see that they managed to contain the size.

9. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 25, 2014

The case looks identical!!! Very handsome pair, and I wish I could have a Mark 4.5 with that condition.