Forums Latest Members
  1. artek Sep 22, 2019

Popped into a local AD today as I will be getting a speedy soon. Still debating between hesalite and sapphire. Any thoughts on how it looks on me or which version to get? (Sorry I know this question has been asked to death).

64F55292-DEFD-450A-8163-7AEC44A61861.jpeg 1E7B6625-D134-4E34-88D4-6716C22B0890.jpeg
  2. saulgoodman Sep 22, 2019

It fits very well. I'm sure you have done your reading regarding the hesalite vs sapphire issue. Purist will tell you heasilite is the only way to go. I don't like scratches and I am not planning to launch into space any time soon so, I went with the more modern scratch resistant sapphire with the sapphire case back that displays the 1863 movement. I couldn't be happier. Whichever one you chose you can't lose.

WatchShopping, Pun and Jimvv like this.
  3. time flies Sep 22, 2019

It looks great. Get the one you like. If you don't get the hesalite you'll always wonder and it will drive you crazy. Having said that... you're already hooked and you're destined to have more than one.
    20190328_160652.jpg
    Have fun
    kfw

Pun and artek like this.
  4. Evitzee Sep 22, 2019

Most people can wear a classic Speedmaster......it doesn't wear too big or too small, it's just about perfect for most people, men and women. It only matters if YOU think it looks right, no one you meet in public is going to think anything about how it looks on you. Sapphire or hesalite, just personal preference. Some like the idea of sapphire front and back and a view of the movement, some like the classic look. Try both on and see which one will fit your style. I've never found hesalite hard to maintain, unless you are really banging it around you won't be picking up dents and scratches that can't be taken care of with a little Polywatch. And I really have no desire to look at a movement that is not an example of haute horology, it's a tool movement even if the finish is a bit better on the 1863 movement. Anyway, do your due diligence and pick your poison.

WatchShopping, Pun and artek like this.
  5. dslloyd Sep 22, 2019

I just went thru the same decision making process a few weeks ago. Plenty of opinions to read here so you will be well informed of pros and cons. Probably the best advice is go sit and look at both and try them both on. That’s what I did. Looks like you did too. Personally I’m with saulgoodman and went with sapphire sandwich. I love ii!! Did you feel any connection with one more than the other?

6. artek Sep 22, 2019

Thank you, yes, I've done my quite extensive research but there's always little voices in my head that want to sway me one way or another.

7. Evitzee Sep 22, 2019

All mechanical watches attraction is 'in the head'......they are a product that really isn't needed anymore.

8. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Sep 22, 2019

Also not “needed” are quartz watches, or smart watches, and a heck of a lot of other products. Like so much of consumerism, you are right that it’s all in the head. The head wants what the head wants!

P.S. Watch looks great on OP

artek likes this.
  9. artek Sep 22, 2019

Thanks!

10. ext1 Sep 22, 2019

H E S A L I T E because of the milk ring effect around the sapphire crystal that cannot be unseen once seen.

challenger70 and Foo2rama like this.
  11. 64Wing Sep 22, 2019

Honestly?...looks upside down on you ;) lol

For me, it came down to the purity of a true-to-form hesalite crystal in keeping with the original Moonwatch specs. It looks great and has a character that (in my opinion) surpasses the sapphire.

Save you some coin too. Besides, you're going to own more than one Speedmaster at some point. Might as well have a standard ref then start chasing limited editions and oddities within that family.

Just my $0.02

Very happy to see someone on the verge of making a great purchase regardless of whether they chose hesalite or an imposter ;)
    but-thats-none-of-my-business-trump-meme-tea-kermit-54204144.png

artek likes this.
  12. artek Sep 22, 2019

I hear you ;-) thank you.

13. vienna Sep 23, 2019

I would allways go with hesalite. It‘s more orginal to me, easy to polish and cheap to replace.

kind regards Max

wagudc likes this.
  14. rob#1 Sep 23, 2019

Hesalite - it’s the classic and will leave some change to buy the mandatory range of leather straps and NATOs ;)

However, if you like seeing the movement but want hesalite look out for a 3592.50 / 3572.50, it’s the best of both worlds (plus - it has tritium lume; minus - it would be at least a decade old)

15. avidmark Sep 23, 2019

Ive had both. Sapphire first, then traded it for a hesalite, and glad I did. I like knowing the speedy I have has nearly unchanged since the late 60's. The hesalite is very easy to maintain. Any scratch will mostly come out with light polishing. When I got it second hand it had a deep scratch that has slowly disappeared with a light polish once a month. Leave the sapphire for the Racing Speedys. Which I also love.

artek likes this.
  16. cbail Sep 23, 2019

The size looks perfect to me. I can’t weigh in on Hesalite versus Sapphire, as I only have a Sapphire Speedmaster (FOIS), but it think it’s hard to go wrong either way. The comments about a milky ring are accurate, but I find it doesn’t bug me.

artek likes this.
  17. fergusm Sep 25, 2019

+1

18. WatchCor Sep 25, 2019

Honestly, size looks very good on you. You can always make it slimmer with a thin leather strap or chunkier with a NATO.

Personally I would go for the hesalite.

artek likes this.
  19. Speedy2254 Sep 25, 2019

Looks good. I'd go with Hesalite / solid case back to keep it traditional but that's personal preference. Important thing is the fit & that looks spot on to me.

artek likes this.
  20. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 25, 2019

Hesalite solid caseback

8 minute video and you can see in the first 10 seconds the one to pick.
    ( The one without the milky ring )

artek and SpeedyPhill like this.