Forums Latest Members

Speedy Dilemma - Pro/Racing/57/Numbered Editions

1. ProfSpiderMonkey Apr 17, 2015

Hello Gents,
    I've been racking my brain for months now on my next watch purchase. I know I want a SpeedMaster, so I thought I was done with the indecision, but there are roughly 4 billion choices. I've narrowed it down to a few choices, but I need your help sealing the deal. A little bit about myself so you can tailor your answers: I wear suits as often as I can. I'll put on a suit to sit around the house. When I'm not wearing suits, I'm in dickies and a t shirt, wrenching on my cars. So that should tell you that Im more about racing than I am about going to the moon, so the moonwatch heritage is not that important to me. I also have fairly small wrists. That makes the sapphire sandwiches and some of the bulkier options look ridiculous on me. So here's what I've got.

Speedmaster Pro because, its obvious. It's the classic. It's timeless. It's why most of us like Omega watches in the first place.

Speedmaster Racing. I'd get it in the same style as the pro, but I like the white outline on the sub-dials. Its also smaller, automatic, and the cheapest of the options

Speedmaster 57 - Blue dial with a brown leather strap- It just looks freaking sweet. It's barely a Speedmaster by purist standards, but it's automatic. It's also the most expensive of these choices

Speedmaster Numbered Edition - It's the smallest of all options, which is good for my dainty wrists. It's got the classic 1861 movement, and it's not too pricey.

Here's the big questions; Which will be most comfortable? Which will hold or increase it's value the most? What am I not weighing into this equation that I should? I know the hessalite sapphire conundrum, but I could go either way on that. I like automatic, especially with the open back, but that tends to make the watch thicker, which is no good for me. In all honesty, I'll probably get the 57 any way you slice it, but I'll probably get that second. So which of this dynamic trio should I get first?

Thanks in advance.

Gino

2. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 17, 2015

If when you say numbered edition you mean the FOIS I would go for that, no contest.

Cheers

MikiJ likes this.
  3. lillatroll Apr 18, 2015

Hello
    Try them on and buy the one you love the most. If you don't love it don't buy it. Don't worry about the value increase/decrease save that for your stocks and shares portfolio.

4. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Apr 18, 2015

Suit up with a Speedy 57. Yeah it's more expensive but since it's on your list I presume price isn't a factor. That brown strap/blue dial has class the others don't have, and will look great with a suit (and brown belt and brown shoes).
    When wrenching on the car, remove the watch.

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 18, 2015

Speedmaster Pro because, its obvious. It's the classic. It's timeless. It's why most of us like Omega watches in the first place.

Bingo

The gateway 1st purchase that gets so many started

MikiJ likes this.
  6. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Apr 18, 2015

"Which will be most comfortable? Which will hold or increase it's value the most?"

The most comfortable is the one that feels best on your wrist. No way for someone else to predict how a watch wears on your wrist. As for holding or increasing in value, just get what you like the most. Don't try to crystal ball future values, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment. Buy and enjoy!