Forums Latest Members
  1. adrian scott Jun 10, 2020

Anyone have any thoughts on the new Speedmaster?
    Expensive update or good investment :unsure:

Speedmaster2020.png

2. Davidt Jun 10, 2020

There are several existing threads discussing this watch

3. MCC Jun 10, 2020

Certainly expensive compared to other Speedies and probably not an investment. It is certainly good looking though but no match for a vintage in my view.

4. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 10, 2020

Not all 321s are Speedmasters. Best 321-bang-for-buck is the seamaster imho. Vintage ones can be had for cheap.

kov and Eve like this.
  5. alam Jun 10, 2020

we’ll know if this particular model (or any new watch) performed well as an investment in 20-30 years from now, in the meantime buy a watch because you like it and enjoy wearing it... :coffee:

6. tvlaan Jun 10, 2020

I think it’s both. Ore than just an expensive upgrade (but it is rather pricey) and likely a very good short term investment as it’ll likely start out with a similar markup to the Daytona...

long term, I think the price will settle at or below msrp

7. llvhhui Jun 10, 2020

I think it’s over priced to be honest. It’s steel on steel. And the faux patina might turn some people off. Still a very cool piece though.

stuart70 likes this.
  8. kelsey Jun 10, 2020

I like everything about it except the faux patina, I’d have to see it in person to know if that would be a deal breaker for me.
    Rest looks great and such things generally look better in person.

As others have stated buy because you like, I have no opinion on watches as investments.

9. Evitzee Jun 10, 2020

Millions of column wheel chronographs have been made over the last 100 years at all price levels, but people have convinced themselves an Omega 321 is somehow a holy grail among watches. Omega is responding to those that feel that way. Hand over your money if you are one of those glassy eyed folks.

10. kelsey Jun 11, 2020

BTW has anyone here ordered one?

11. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 11, 2020

Yes, but all of them will likely have incorrect timekeeping due to chrono wobble if one farts or burps too hard...very import when timing that steak on the barbie whilst sipping ones prefferred beverage (overdone steak :eek:)...

I beleive the 321 was proven to be reliable under 'stressy' situations, where all others failed (See above comment) :whistling:

12. M'Bob Jun 11, 2020

“Holy grails” exist for people in many arenas of life, and often others that look in from the outside are at a loss to understand the obsession. But that’s what humans do: we find things to cherish and put on a pedestal, be it another person, a car, any antique, etc. - the list is endless.

That being said, as @eugeneandresson pointed out, there is an undeniable history that accompanies this caliber, and often it’s accompanied by an aesthetically pleasing case, with other positive design features. So, yes, if you’re into the little corner of the world that holds watches in high esteem, it’s reasonable that this caliber would be on the list.

Caliber561, blufinz52, 64Wing and 5 others like this.
  13. jcz5 Jun 11, 2020

This is a fantastic piece and would be next on my list if I have not already allocated some funds to buy a few other pieces.

The only reason people are saying this is too expensive is because we have grown up in a world where the speedmaster was relatively cheap. However, Omega has been actively increasing the price of its new Speedmasters. Look at the 50th anniversary speedy, Apollo 8, etc.

Even using the Daytona as a base. I would argue the speedmaster is better executed in terms of having a visible and decently finished movement. Also, the I would argue the cal. 321 is more regarded than the 4130 movement. Also, you have to consider how one watchmaker assembles this movement from beginning to end. As oppose to a more assembly line process.

kelsey likes this.
  14. Om3ga321 Jun 11, 2020

I ordered mine back in January.
    I love the straight lug Speedies so a new Ed White with the grail 321 is hard to resist.

15. frazierspa Jun 11, 2020

The EW Cal. 321 sold out in days. Three years plus worth of names on the OB's list. The list is now closed. Yes, like a Daytona, it's a great investment if you can get one at retail. I placed a 50% deposit at an OB on day four after the announcement due to a small amount of reservation. Wish I pulled the trigger on day one. Those who feel that the EW is overpriced are comparing it to less expensive, more vanilla, References. When compared to more high-end watches it becomes a bargain. As to its faux-patina, it’s not a faux color. The creme color that Omega selected for the lume is the same color as the original tritium lume WHEN NEW. Print advertisements show that the original tritium lume was NOT white.

Edited Jun 13, 2020
  16. Icnbne Jun 20, 2020

Im pretty sure my 1861 was also one watchmaker assembled- when it went in for service

come on man, i have the 321 on order with a deposit down but lets call out marketing bs where we see it

17. tritto Jun 20, 2020

Yeah, the one watchmaker thing is complete marketing BS. It's not like this mythical watchmaker makes each component by hand. He just has a tray of new parts and puts them together like any independent watchmaker when he services a watch.

18. kelsey Jun 20, 2020

Though just like other watches charging 10x the price.

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 21, 2020

As I've said previously, for any watchmaker assembling new movements with all new parts is the best job you could ask for. Far easier than what lots of independent watchmakers do on a daily basis.

No worry about having to bore out and install bushings to repair worn out holes in plates an bridges, having to burnish worn pivots, or replacing balance staffs, etc.

No having to deal with sloppy work or horrible "fixes" made by other watchmakers, like this regulator pin on a 321 Speedy that was replaced by adding a boatload of glue...

[​IMG]

If there was a gravy job, this would be it...

red crowned, 8100_RPM, Pazzo and 7 others like this.
  20. Icnbne Jun 22, 2020

Not really, at 10x the price youre thinking patek master comp grade watches, assembled and finished by hand

not just assembled from finished production parts