Forums Latest Members
  1. Scepticalist Apr 7, 2017

I've been after a black dial non-lobster Speedsonic (lumed markers) for a while now and have spotted one that looks interesting.

Only thing I'm unsure of here though is the model number inside the caseback as below

[​IMG]

Everything else I can see looks genuine but it seems odd that the model number last digit is scribed? Any comments?

Edited Apr 8, 2017
  2. Scepticalist Apr 8, 2017

Possibly a service replacement? Are those service marks that are inscribed also?

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  3. tyrantlizardrex Apr 8, 2017

I'm trying to find the pictures, but I've seen another with the last digit hand scribed - I think you're right on it being a service back.

4. Scepticalist Apr 8, 2017

Hmmm, problem is it "could" be a made up watch. The parts weren't that hard to get. The movement is Omega though, so quite how you'd ever tell I don't know. The movement serial dates to 1976

5. tyrantlizardrex Apr 8, 2017

Can we see some more pictures?

6. Scepticalist Apr 8, 2017

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've no reason to distrust the seller, seems to have plenty of previous sales on forum. He does have a lobster for sale also. Claims it came from grandson of original owner. No history though.

Also not sure if these ALL had that caseback. I've seen them with a plain caseback also.

ahartfie likes this.
  7. tyrantlizardrex Apr 8, 2017

The wear looks consistent across the watch... I don't see that being a build.

The only thing I might question, is the dial and bezel combination, but then again, funky things went on in the 70's so who knows what the original optional combinations were.

I'd probably go for this if the price were right.

This is my one:

IMG_4324.jpeg

ahartfie likes this.
  8. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Apr 8, 2017

9. Scepticalist Apr 8, 2017

Bezel? You mean the shading? It does seem that the bezel is more commonly darker, but I did find this one that suggests it's variable:
    [​IMG]

Tom Dick and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  10. Scepticalist Apr 8, 2017

I wouldn't say it's cheap, probably on the money for current market, though I would replace the day wheel for UK at service

11. Scepticalist Apr 13, 2017

Anyone have an idea of how much the day wheel would stretch me to? I know they're getting hard to find. If it's too much it may be better to wait for a nice one with the English version?

12. tyrantlizardrex Apr 13, 2017

I had my non running one serviced by Paul at Electric Watches - costs below:

£60 full service + battery
    £80 new genuine Omega crystal for 188.0002
    £6 new case back gasket
    £6 new pusher O rings (2)
    £85 new coils / electronics
    £140 new date and day wheels

ahartfie likes this.
  13. tomchi Apr 13, 2017

Looks very legit to me. Can't tell if the sunburst finish is original, might have been redone with a brush as I can see small irregularities, but seems very well done. As for the last digit on the model number, I would guess that might be because it could be a service part shared between .001 and .002. To be confirmed but that would make sense.
    I say go for it, it is a lovely watch, and larger than you might expect from an Omega of that period.

14. tyrantlizardrex Aug 1, 2017

I know that he has in the past, and that working on the chronograph module adds considerable cost to the bill.

I think if I had one that had chronograph issues, I'd be talking to Swiss Time Services - Tony is a bit of a demon when it comes to full strips and rebuilds of these.

15. Tom Dick and Harry Aug 2, 2017

The watches is fine, there were a number of bezel options and that one is completely correct, if the price is right its a nice thing. I would say that I have owned 20+ Speedsonics (the only ones I currently own are NOS Lobster and my NASA Radial prototype) but they are wonderful watches and hugely undervalued for what they are.

The example shown looks very nice with very little wear (to the case, which notoriously pick up dinks and damage)

16. tyrantlizardrex Aug 2, 2017

Given that it was April... wonder if the OP ever bought the watch? ;)

Tom Dick likes this.
  17. Tom Dick and Harry Aug 2, 2017

Lol totally missed that mate, still on Ibiza mode, hadn't fully read and appreciated the post was reignited as a different enquiry!

@CRSSwiss , Chris is right, STS really would be the right place to go but servicing these beauties isn't cheap and again as Chris mentioned Tony @ STS really is the don with these

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  18. tyrantlizardrex Aug 3, 2017

Swiss Time Services is arguably a better option than Omega for vintage watches... Tony and the team there have a lot of knowledge, and unofficially, for years were the vintage service centre for Omega here in the UK.