Forums Latest Members
  1. tyrantlizardrex Mar 23, 2016

One my "wants for 2016" was a Speedsonic... with f300s and chronographs being my two of my triggers when buying vintage Omega, I thought it was about time I got my mitts on one.

So I jumped on a 1 owner, non running, cushion cased model early in the year:

image.jpeg

Having talked it through at the London GTG (and been slightly bullied by @LiquidSolid and @SpikiSpikester - thanks chaps, you were right) I decided that I didn't want the full spa treatment, but to keep some of the war wounds (service marks on the lugs anyone?) - I've since been waiting for Paul at electric watches to have a gap in his schedule.

Friday I popped it in the post, and today I got this:

"I've given your Speedsonic an initial inspection to see why it is not running but I have not dismantled chrono functions etc but the pushers feel OK. So based on your letter, the estimate would be:

£60 full service + battery
    £80 new genuine Omega crystal for 188.0002
    £6 new case back gasket
    £6 new pusher O rings (2)
    £3 new crown O ring
    £85 new coils / electronics --- yours are broken
    £140 new date and day wheels --- see below

The calendar wheels are not turning over smoothly at midnight and jam. This is usually an indication of broken / damaged plastic teeth. The day wheel in particular is easily damaged on the Speedsonic. Please note: I have not removed the hands and dial to check status at this stage."

Clearly a few bits wonky, but all in pretty reasonable, let's hope there's nothing lurking deeper and it's just the coils that are causing the non-running issue! :)

Edited Mar 23, 2016
    Cyrus and LiquidSolid like this.
  2. dx009 Mar 23, 2016

Cheesus Christ! That's a lot of money... You people in the West are getting ripped off slightly. I'm hoping he'll do a good job and all but still...

3. tyrantlizardrex Mar 23, 2016

Compared to what Omega charge this is incredibly reasonable... ;)

You have to bear in mind that the Speedsonic is also quite a complex watch, with an electric module, a chronograph module, and the main timekeeping/watch module.

Most of the expensive stuff above is parts...

Edited Mar 23, 2016
  4. LiquidSolid Mar 23, 2016

lol, wasn't me. Ok ok.. it was! :thumbsup:

Hope u get it back in time for the next GTG.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  5. dx009 Mar 23, 2016

I can only imagine Omega's prices.

Can I see a picture of the movement please ? I'm curious to see how this one looks...

6. tyrantlizardrex Mar 23, 2016

Here's an in depth post on Paul's site about working on the movement: http://electric-watches.co.uk/movement-types/tuning-fork/esa-9210/

From what I understand it's built up in layers with each being a different module.

Edited Mar 23, 2016
    dx009 and GregH like this.
  7. BlueBoy Mar 23, 2016

Was thinking the prices were pretty good.. ::popcorn::

tyrantlizardrex and West Slope like this.
  8. webvan Mar 23, 2016

If you're ready to pay £380 with possible "surprises" I'd have STS look at it even if it costs more (think I paid £460 in 2011 for a complete overhaul of my SS Lobster) , you'll get it back working perfectly and with a two year warranty.

These are complex watches with their DD chrono module and I still remember how painful it was to get Paul to properly fix the simple problem (it only needed a new index wheel and I had to suggest it after two fruitless return trips) on my SM120 F300...

9. grizzlycanuck Mar 23, 2016

Kudos to you for not doing the full spa treatment, bet you will be happy.

10. tyrantlizardrex Mar 24, 2016

I think the Swisstec (STS) price was £600 and a date wheel set would be on top of that - I did speak to Simon first, but given that I didn't want the "good as new" treatment, and that ive had no issues with Paul, I thought I'd send it his way.

11. webvan Mar 24, 2016

Your money and your call obviously ;-) Are you sure the date wheel set was extra ? STS don't normally charge for parts and they hadn't for my Lobster (got the old datewheel back). Checked the date it was in 2012 and the total cost with VAT was £474. You could always tell them to leave the case as it is, not sure if you'd get a discount though.

12. tyrantlizardrex Mar 24, 2016

Pretty sure... And they do if it's outside the scope of a normal service. ;)

On the Beta21 cal for example, if a module is dead, you pay for the module on top of the cost of the standard service...

With the Speedsonic, I understood that it was the same.

Pauls working on it now, and as I say, I'm happy with the f300 work he's undertaken in the past for me :)

13. webvan Mar 24, 2016

There is no such thing as a "normal service" at STS, it's a "full service", parts included (crown, glass, wheels, pushers, spring, gaskets, O rings, etc...), hence the price, but you get peace of mind and a two year warranty.

The 1300 and 1301, like the 151x, are special because of the modules, which are indeed extra.

14. tyrantlizardrex Mar 24, 2016

Edited Mar 24, 2016
    West Slope likes this.
  15. webvan Mar 24, 2016

It's not "semantics", I think it's important for those reading this and looking into getting their watch serviced to know that there are independants who charge you for every bit and bob for a not unsubstantial bill at the end of the day and companies like STS who offer a full service with parts included a two year warranty and an invoice of course.

16. tyrantlizardrex Mar 24, 2016

It kind of is, to me a normal service is a full service... Squirting oil inside a watch case, and adjusting the regulator isn't a service. A full strip down and rebuild is.

In the same way that Omega/STS (actually Swisstec in this case) charge you for every bit and Bob, but in a lump sum up front - i.e. An agreed service cost.

You may want to check, but as far as I understand, Swisstec offer a 1 year warranty on the electrics, not 2.

I'm as much of a fan of STS as the next man, but there are other reputable people out there, Paul is my choice for f300's.

And the prices he's quoting, I feel, as the person who's paying the bill, are quite reasonable.

Again, I spoke to both parties, I made my choice on what to do with my watch.

For anyone else reading this, I hope they'd do their own due diligence, don't solely trust opinions on the Internet, and make a decision based on what they want to do with their watch.

Looking forward to wearing this one, @LiquidSolid it will be back before the 26th, so I'll bring it along! :)

Egatdagi and LiquidSolid like this.
  17. tyrantlizardrex Mar 31, 2016

Just had an email from Paul to say that it's all done.

£385 all in (including RMSD back to me) - other than the dead coils, and the broken date wheels, nothing further was lurking, which is pretty awesome to hear, knowing that the guy who had it from new only had it serviced once (in addition to a new battery/seal every 18 months) in all those years of ownership.

It should be back with me tomorrow... now I just need to decide on a suitable strap.

Any suggestions?

ahartfie likes this.
  18. nickw Mar 31, 2016

Black rally strap? I have been looking for a non-lobster speedsonic for close to a year. Thin numbers out there congrats for seeing one returned back to life! Getting a previously non-working piece back from a service is such a great feeling. Enjoy!

19. tyrantlizardrex Mar 31, 2016

That's a good call - I've got a 22mm black leather NATO that I might put it on once it arrives... just to get some wrist time in before buying any more straps :D

Speedsonics in general seem to be a bit thin on the ground... unless you like GOLD! ;)

20. tyrantlizardrex Apr 4, 2016

image.jpeg

It runs!

ahartfie and GregH like this.