Forums Latest Members
  1. Steven9 Apr 10, 2015

hoping for a massive response to this.

I've been looking to buy a speedmaster but I have no idea what sizes they come in. I know that the professional comes in at 42mm. With my wrist being 6.5 big I know that would be too big for my taste.
    Do they come in smaller sizes? If so what sizes are they? I've tried on a rolex explorer ii which I think was 40mm?

Just looking for as much help as possible and hoping that they come in a variation of sizes. If anyone has measured there's id love to knoe exact sizes etc. possibly with some photos?

Thanks for your help.
    Steven

2. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 10, 2015

6.5in wrists are a perfect fit for 42mm cases IMO.
    I believe the Speedmaster variations are 38.5-reduced and 42-classic plus the co-axial version which is 43 I think.
    But take into consideration the hesalite crystal actually makes the dial look bigger then the sapphire sandwich. The sapphire squares off the top and the edge of sapphire creates an image of it appearing slightly smaller. Here's a look at both.

image.jpg
  3. yinzerniner Apr 10, 2015

Speedmaster Pros come in either 39.7 (the "First Omega In Space" limited edition), 42. The one thing to consider is to try the speedy on; the case actually wears more like a 40, as the crown push guard adds 2mm to the case width.
    And yes, as posted above the automatics are smaller (reduced, racing, date, day date, etc) and larger ones (Co-axial, Dark Side, Grey Side) but the Speedy Pro, which has been and forever will be a manual movement, only came in the two sizes above.

4. trama Apr 10, 2015

Hey Steven,
    I have a Speedmaster Reduced, it is slightly smaller than the Pro, and it has an automatic winding mechanism. Here is a pic, my wrist is just under 8", and I've been wearing it 25 years. photo-5.jpg

5. proximal Apr 10, 2015

My wrist is about 6.5" and the Speedmaster Pro fits fine. I wouldn't go any larger, but it works.

6. ulackfocus Apr 10, 2015

The dial and bezel of the FOIS is the same as the regular Speedmaster. The only difference in the measurement is because of the crown / pusher guard.

7. Steven9 Apr 10, 2015

Thanks folks. Anyone with the reduced/automatic got the exact sizing? I've seen 35.5, 38 and 39mm.

8. yinzerniner Apr 11, 2015

They have all different sizing depending on which automatic series you're dealing with. 38mm I believe is the original speedy reduced (3510) and a few subsequent models (3513, 3520, et al), while later automatic Speedmasters (Date, day-date, triple, racing) are all 40mm. Many places say that the 35.5mm sizing was actual incorrect, and that the smallest was 38mm. Basically, they think that the measurement was for the bezel and not the case.

9. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Apr 11, 2015

^ what he said :)

10. guelerct Apr 15, 2015

[​IMG]
    Have the pro and the gsotm
    43 definitely feels bigger on the wrist but the sapphire back pushes it up a bit which makes it a non issue as far as comfort goes

BuckeyeOmegaMan likes this.
  11. andrewd Apr 15, 2015

Theres no substitute for trying one on. As others have noted, 2mm of that 42mm are taken up by the extra metal designed to protect the pushers, the dial size has not changed since the earlier design which was 39mm. I have the same size wrists as you and the Speedy Pro wears perfectly for a sport watch. Having said this I would not wear it every day in the office.

The Speedy Pro is an iconic watch, the other watches in the range don't float my boat at all. The proportions look wrong on the reduced and they have a reputation for being expensive to service. The 9300 series is way too big and is cheapened by a new side of the moon being announced every 6 months. My definition of iconic: Come up with a classic design 50 years ago and don't f*ck with it! Keep making it exactly the same year in, year out regardless of whether it is perceived as 'cool' for the fashion of the day. There's probably less than half a dozen watches in this category and the Speedy Pro is one of them.

12. repoman Apr 16, 2015

May I take exception with some of this? I know you are sharing your opinion, and you are entitled to it absolutely - but its off-base IMHO. The Speedmaster Professional is iconic, it represents a tried and true chronograph of exemplary quality, aesthetics, and function. It symbolizes man's adventurous spirit pushing out into space, and in general a better time (IMHO). Saying the 9300 "cheapens" it is silly. The 9300 shares nothing in common except the label "Speedmaster" and I consider that marketing anyway (note "Professional" is not used in the 9300's). It is separate and distinct from the Speedmaster Professional. Bringing additional variations of the "side of the moon" is responding to market demand and leveraging their advances in ceramic material science. Every 6 months is just plain inaccurate; they announced the Dark Side of the Moon in 2013, the Grey Side in 2014, and the new variations of the Dark Side in 2015... that's every 12 months. Omega is probably the most innovate watch company today, pushing the technology and material science. If anything, I would argue everything Omega is doing now is bringing *MORE VALUE* to the Speedmaster Professional... look at the rise in prices across the board for all Speedy Pro's in the last couple years.

13. andrewd Apr 16, 2015

I think you misunderstood me. I did not mean that the 9300 devalues the Speedy Pro. It is indeed a completely different watch, and not one that I like. I might of exaggerated how often a new side of the moon is released, but it is still tacky how Omega is constantly seeking a new marketing angle to flog more 9300s. I respect Omega for not messing with the original!

14. guelerct Apr 16, 2015

I don't think the 9300s are overdone
    They are in the same family as the SpeedyPro but serve a completely different function
    I wear the moon watch on weekends with a t shirt on a nato and I wear the Gsotm with suits at work
    As far as line extension goes the 9300s have a date complication, coax movement, ceramic casing, sapphire back...totally different animal but shares a common ancestor with the moon watch
    Rolex rarely gets criticized for their timeless Datejust and that comes in 10 colored dials, fluted or non fluted bezel, day date or date only, precious metal or steel, big medium small, etc...
    Don't even get me started on Panerai

BuckeyeOmegaMan likes this.