Forums Latest Members
  1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 24, 2016

These "R" serial numbers do not come up with any result when I try to look them up on the Omega Extranet, so that isn't much help.

I don't know what the process was back in the 70's (or before) but currently if you have a damaged part that is serialized, you send the old part back to Omega, and they engrave a new part with the same serial number, and send the new one back to you. The old one is not returned because they don't want duplicates out there. I am going through this process right now with an 1120 movement that needs a new barrel bridge, and that is the part on some older models that has the serial number on it. I can just buy a new bridge without the serial number, but having the serial number added doesn't cost anything extra - it just takes time so 6 weeks for the replacement bridge to arrive.

Cheers, Al

MCC, Northernman and sky21 like this.
  2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 24, 2016

I have seen other "R" serial number on older Omegas before. Mostly on the cal. 1120 series, which has the serial number on the rotors. I would suspect that because of this, more "R" serial number exist for that particular caliber.

Never seen a "R" on a Speedmaster before, but I've learned never to say never with vintage Omega.
    gatorcpa

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 24, 2016

1120 would have it on the barrel bridge or the balance cock. Never seen one with a serial number on the rotor.

BTW when this thread came up last year, I emailed Omega here in Canada about these numbers - no answer. I just today emailed someone else from Omega in another country I know who has been with the company for many decades - we'll see what he says.

Cheers, Al

Northernman likes this.
  4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 24, 2016

Yes, you are right. I got my IRS forms mixed up. You see that the Form "1120" is the corporation tax form while the "1040" is the individual form. Hey, it happens sometimes.

Anyway, here is a post from a few months ago that discusses the differences between prototype and replacement rotor on the cal. 1040.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/the...-on-this-seamaster-chronograph-176-007.33678/

There are some pictures of "R" serial numbers there.
    gatorcpa

5. Watching May 25, 2016

I got an answer from Omega. Not what I hoped for but anyhow it solved the mystery!

Answer from Omega:
    As far as the extract of the archive is concerned, it is likely that, at some point in time before you acquired the watch, the movement was exchanged with a replacement movement (movement number beginning with R.XXXXX) and therefore we regret to inform you that no extract of the archive can be ordered.

TNTwatch likes this.
  6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 26, 2016

7. jaguar11 Oct 8, 2016

Strangely enough I have just found another of these.... Numerically speaking not a lot of difference between them....

speedmaster serial[4].JPG
  8. seikoskar Oct 10, 2016

wow! How interesting. The movement looks not to be rhodium, as mine, (or is it?) but the R-number is very close, only 176 movements apart.
    Can you see from the dial text aproximately when the watch is from? My dial is early 80´s I suppose
    http://chronomaddox.com/speedy_dial_details.html

Edited Oct 10, 2016
  9. Northernman Lemaniac Oct 10, 2016

Did you hear anything back on this?
    The link by @gatorcpa is interesting (I think this must be the same post I recalled having read somtime in the past):
    http://www.watchprosite.com/?page=w...95908&pzt=&dv=true&wf.responses.open_bLoB_s=0

10. jaguar11 Oct 10, 2016

Hi, This is from ST145.022-69. This supports the theory that these are indeed replacement movements. To suggest that yours is a one off seems too much of a coincidence to me especially given the proximity of the numbers....

11. Bumper Oct 10, 2016

12. seikoskar Oct 11, 2016

Sorry, I´m mixing up things. My movement is not rhodium. It is a 861 movement pink gilt colored, so in case this is a replacement movement, it is pre-92

13. minutenrohr Sep 1, 2018

...today I get a 135.003-62 SC (Seamaster 30 from 1962). My 1st R-movement...I thought "replacement", that seems to be correct?

IMG_7732.JPG IMG_7733.JPG IMG_7734.JPG IMG_7743.JPG

Als 27 and TNTwatch like this.
  14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 1, 2018

Having the R serial number doesn’t necessarily mean that the entire movement is a replacement.

It could be that only the piece containing the serial number was replaced. Some automatic Omegas has the serial number on the rotor and those get replaced quite often.
    gatorcpa

15. minutenrohr Sep 1, 2018

Thanks. Maybe there was a water damage on the crowns side. The patina on the dial is more distinct on the right (=crown) side...

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 1, 2018

No it may not be. The lemania 1873 is identical to the Omega 861. In fact I own a watch with this movement. The fear on this piece is that it’s a pieces together movement from multiple watches. Which is a perfectly fine movement but as this appears to be a 78 to mid 80’s watch your going to have resale issues down the road and they are easy to source with no questions asked. The pictures hide the baseplate engraving which is also suspect.

17. seikoskar Sep 3, 2018

Well.. this got me curious ;-)
    I popped off the case back and looked at the engravings through a loupe. the baseplate 861 engraving and Omega logo is definitely there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Aludic @SpeedyBirthYear Jun 10, 2019

Hi all,

Apologies for reviving an old thread; just stumbled upon another R-serial Speedmaster (145.022-68 or 69). The owner is very frank about the fact that it has an odd serial number. To my eyes, it appears to be a bit of a Franken:

- R-serial movement
    - AML dial (145.022-68 Transitional ?)
    - 145.022-69 caseback
    - Newer crown
    - DNN bezel (but appears quite 'aged' for a 90's replacement)

To me, it appears to be another clue for an R-serial movement to be a non-original (i.e. Service) movement. Perhaps this new datapoints helps people.

Any new thoughts about this?

Cheers,

Sander

Some pics: hopefully the owner doesn't mind when I include a reference: https://www.ebay.de/itm/1969-Omega-Speedmaster-Professional-Moon-Watch-145-022-69/113777876465Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network :)
    s-l1600.jpg s-l1600-2.jpg

19. iamvr Mar 29, 2023

Sorry for reviving this old thread but wanted to add another example. I‘m offered this 2576 with also a R serial number, which I was not familiar with. The seller also said it was a „prototype“, which sounded weird as it was a common movement by then. Reading through this thread, R for replacement makes most sense. I‘m „color blind“ but even I see the different color of the part with the serial number and the rest.

6310797C-C759-4A9F-9D90-368D3F447136.jpeg

RevZMan123 and Northernman like this.
  20. Northernman Lemaniac Mar 29, 2023

I guess the most likely explanation to the "R" serial numbers is that they are numbered replacement parts.
    Color blind too, but not that color blind to not see the difference between the stamped bridge and the other parts.
    The bridge is holding the bumper rotor, so that this would be worn at some point, perhaps worse on an early design, seem very plausible IMO.
    That again would explain it being replaced during a service. Using R-series for replacement parts would make a whole lot of sense as you could still ID the watch, but not having to make new engravings (with the original serial number) to a movement part when replacing it.

:):thumbsup:

iamvr likes this.