Forums Latest Members
  1. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 7, 2015

Prototype or a once off Friday special.......

2. hockey Jun 7, 2015

It is genuine Omega. Doesn't devalue at all. That's the way it came from the factory.

3. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Jun 8, 2015

I do not know if this is related but I have several examples of MK3 with such movement numbering.

EdtheAussie likes this.
  4. seikoskar Jun 8, 2015

yes, I also discovered this: http://www.fratellowatches.com/speedmaster-mark-iii/
    I also found a couple of mk3 on the net with R.00000 serial numbers

5. TNTwatch Jun 8, 2015

How did you know they were preproduction models? Do you have something everybody can rely on?

I recall someone mentioned prototype serial numbers would start with a zero.

Edited Jun 8, 2015
    italy1861 and Archer like this.
  6. Davidt Jun 8, 2015

I think it will most definitely devalue it.

Do you want a watch with a standard Omega cal 861 with a serial within the expected range, or one with an odd R serial that perhaps, might be a replacement or prototype. Pretty sure most folk would prefer the normal 861.

7. TNTwatch Jun 8, 2015

If you could come up with some concrete proof that this watch or your watches came like that from factory, ie. some genuine prototypes or pre-productions, their values not only wouldn't decrease, they would increase quite significantly.

8. seikoskar Jun 10, 2015

I have sent a mail to omega to ask them if there exist a list of pre-production watches. I supose it is a long shot, but well worth a try.
    I am not a collector. Just wanna have me a Speedy ;-)
    the price tag on this one is 1340 pounds. For that price I get a mint condition case, a very nice dial with creamy indices, original hands with slightly paint peelin the center, a mint looking movement (with a strange serial number) ,mint original bezel-insert, AND...a very nice oyster-style bracelet, comming from a seventies Seamaster cosmic 2000 ;-)...cool, but I guess it devalues a bit compared with the correct 1171.

IMG_67381.jpg
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 10, 2015

Wonder what happens if you pull an extract from the archive on that serial? If it were mine I'd try it

Foo2rama likes this.
  10. Northernman Lemaniac Jun 12, 2015

Hi!

Sorry. No ideas. I have seen Lemania branded movements with the same copper color surface as on the Omega branded movements. However the serial number starting of with an "R" is weird.
    I would actually attempt an e-mail to Omega Bienne, alternatively you could opt for an extract of the archive providing the serial "as is".
    That may provide some info. Our resident Speedmaster guru @speedy4ever should perhaps also have some info as he has been digging in the archives himself!
    If the price is right I would say it is interesting anyhow!

11. seikoskar Jun 16, 2015

I think I´ve found out that the omega part number for the escape-wheel-bridge, is 1004. and as far as I can understand they used 8 -digits there as well. I´ve seen another Speedy for sale, with service escape-wheel-bridge. Also 8-digit.
    As I see it now, this movement is either a service-movement( but I don´t see why Omega would give whole movements another serial number,.. I suppose all the service-parts would come from the same bin...?)
    I am really starting to believe in the pre-production theory......i think :-/

12. Northernman Lemaniac Jun 16, 2015

The following information was posted by an Australian Omega certified watchmaker some time back:

Normally, the serial number is engraved on the escape wheel bridge. A replacement bridge has no number engraved, hence my new watch does not have a serial number. In later years, post-approx. 1970, Omega would provide such parts, at least for some models, with a new serial number prefixed with a letter "R". Thus theoretically the heritage of the watch could be traced if the numbers were recorded.

I think that makes perfect sense! Omega could maintain (depending on the watchmaker sending back information) traceability on the watch in question if the part normally engraved with the serial number was replaced. The alternative would be to custom order a new part with the correct serial number engraved. That would have taken ages and been even more expensive. With a separate range of serial numbers for replacement parts, they could keep them "in stock" with their local distributors around the world.

13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 16, 2015

As a collector, I can tell you categorically that an R serial is not something I would place a premium on - for me it is like a "Q" plate on a motor car. Showing my age, in the UK a car of indeterminate origin, or missing a chassis plate, assembled from parts or restored using a new chassis was given a registration starting with a Q.

As a watch, it's fine. As is a Seiko.

As a vintage Omega, it is a curiosity, an outlier. It has some value in that, but not much.

Now here is an interesting concept. In the diamond buisiness, many years ago, some dealers kept in their drawer a tin containing all the "funny colours". These stones were not white, but green, or orange, brown or pink. They were unsaleable and undesireable - they didn't put them in the safe. Nowadays, marketing has helped these curiosities reach values far exceeding their white brothers.

So perhaps these R numbers will find a following of their own.

Just not from me.

14. mac_omega Jun 16, 2015

In this case we will reach the stupid status of Rolex collecting with all these tiny differences lke: red, double red, underline, nipple or not nipple dial, etc, etc. This will be the time when I quit collecting them and sell all my speedies...

I hope we never reach this point in collecting Omega and Speedies in particular

seikoskar likes this.
  15. Northernman Lemaniac Jun 16, 2015

What if someone just happens to like the watch..... Replacement movement or not.
    Hell! I would have taken a Ferrari 250 GTO or GT SWB any day.... Even if it did not have matching numbers!
    :)

Edited Jun 21, 2015
    Geo!, seikoskar, Hijak and 1 other person like this.
  16. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 21, 2015

Stepping aside from the "R" debate for a second, it's worth saying that £1340 is a good price for a properly functioning 861 Speedy with bracelet.

Als 27, nixf6, watchyouwant and 3 others like this.
  17. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jun 21, 2015

Just being pedantic here, but all 250 GTO's had the same wheelbase, so there was no GTO SWB.

Spacefruit, italy1861 and Northernman like this.
  18. emilio Jun 21, 2015

I think we all know that this point will come in a nearby future..

I think we are allready there. Look at sales prices of do90 bezels or #6 endlinks..

Swissmister likes this.
  19. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Jun 21, 2015

Yes but this was the short 240mm version, the all should have been called SWB ;)

20. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Jun 21, 2015

Oops 2400mm