Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster - Winding Watch While Wet

1. Hands90 Mar 6, 2021

Strange question but this is the best place to ask.

In the morning I give my speedy a quick rinse and sometimes this is accompanied by a wind up.

Would this be a bad idea. Also I already did so.

My thought is, that it should be fine since it's not submerged and the crown is not pulled out. ;)

What do you guys think.

2. engben Mar 6, 2021

I'm sure you are fine, agreed that the watch is not submerged with the crown pulled out.

3. Tekashi_145.022 Mar 7, 2021

Really good question. And if it’s safe to wind with tap water, I wonder if it’s safe if salt water or soap is on the watch (from getting out of the ocean, or accidentally getting some soap suds on the watch when washing hands)? Or, these days, a more likely scenario- if remnants of hand sanitizer are on the watch?

I take no chances and only wind when my watch is dry, but I’m curious.

Pun likes this.
  4. Dor_42 Mar 7, 2021

With fresh seals I don't think this should be a problem, that said, you don't HAVE to do it while it's wet so just let it dry and then do it.
    General rule of thumb - if anything that gives you stress can be eliminated just do it! (Don't off your mother in law tho, that could send you to jail and in most cases that is more stressful).

5. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 7, 2021

Normally I roll my eyes at the, ’can I get my new Omega wet’ type threads , but for once I think the OP may have a valid concern. Or at least something worthy of discussion. The rubber crown seals might well not be as effective if the crown/stem is rotated on the tube vs when the seal is maintained the rubber/steel interface doesn't move, particularly if submerged or under a jet. As above, I’d avoid this or for that matter getting alcohol gel anywhere near the crown or pushers. Now I may be just as guilty of spreading FUD and nonsense as the dynamic pressure idiots but presumably crowns aren’t designed to operate submerged. I doubt it’s a major concern but since it’s avoidable, why risk it?

Edited Mar 7, 2021
    Foo2rama likes this.
  6. gnuyork Mar 7, 2021

Not to hijack the thread, but I have another similarly related question...

Is it safe to wind your watch while the chronograph is running? I hit the chronograph first thing yesterday to time something and then started winding it, then wondered if that was bad.

7. Hands90 Mar 7, 2021

From what I read on this forum, yes. It's completely fine to do so. I asked last month if I could move the chrono hands out of the way for an extended period of time.
    Basically keep the hands stopped so I can see the dial without any issues. Since I know that keeping the chrono running all of the time can stress the movement.

On that thread someone sent me another that answered all of these questions.

gnuyork likes this.
  8. Dor_42 Mar 7, 2021

Been asked here many times before, if it would have had the potential to damage the watch you would not be able to do it, meaning Omega would not allow it to happen mechanically.

gnuyork and Hands90 like this.
  9. Dor_42 Mar 7, 2021

This is also a common mistake, you can leave the chrono running for as long as you want, just keep it up with the usual service intervals.

10. Dan S Mar 7, 2021

Most likely you didn't damage your watch by winding it while wet, but the potential for water intrusion is definitely higher while the crown is being turned or pushers being depressed since the surfaces are moving with respect to the seals. Dynamic seals are generally not as effective as static seals. So in the future I'd suggest drying it before winding.

Pazzo, W210, Foo2rama and 2 others like this.
  11. gnuyork Mar 7, 2021

Forgive me for asking yet again, I'm new to the Speemaster and this is my first chronograph. I've never seen it asked before, but I don't keep up with reading the whole forum.

Dor_42 likes this.
  12. Dor_42 Mar 7, 2021

No worries, by saying "it had been asked here many times before" I wasn't implying you should know better than asking, just to re-assure you that there's a definitive answer.

gnuyork likes this.
  13. Evitzee Mar 7, 2021

If you want to rinse your watch everyday, and I wonder why you would need to do that unless you are sweating profusely or working in a dirty enviroment, why not wind it first and then rinse it?

Foo2rama, Dor_42 and padders like this.
  14. padders Oooo subtitles! Mar 7, 2021

Some good sense right there.

Dor_42 likes this.
  15. Dan S Mar 7, 2021

Winding the watch while the chronograph is running is not a problem, but the above is not a good standard to use with watch functions. One should not assume that you can't damage a watch by pushing buttons or turning the crown. There are several ways to damage a watch by pushing buttons or turning the crown at the wrong time or sequence. For example, several movements can be damaged by using a quick-set date function when the time is close to midnight.

Foo2rama and Dor_42 like this.
  16. Dor_42 Mar 7, 2021

I see your point, in my head I was only referring to what was asked but I can see how someone could take it the wrong way.

Dan S likes this.
  17. gnuyork Mar 7, 2021

Yes, exactly. That I knew about... But chronographs are new territory for me. And loving it.

Dor_42 likes this.
  18. bthUK Mar 7, 2021

Why would you bother to wind a watch with wet hands? It only takes a moment to dry them.

19. Hands90 Mar 7, 2021

This is true but I've already done so a few times so I was curious. Also my speedy gets dirty from the daily wear so I wanted to give it a wash