Forums Latest Members
  1. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Mar 10, 2015

I'm curious of the durability in regard to aesthetics of the Speedmaster. The awesome shape of the bezel is quite exposed, and being ion plated aluminum I was wondering how long before it starts to lose its pristine look. I have a few watches that after just five years needed a bezel replacement. I realize some wear gives a watch its character. But couldn't help but cringe when I think about the damage of slamming the thin lip of the bezel against a wall or desk...
    Anyone have any pictures showing wear and tear of the classic Speedy. How they hold up??

Edited Mar 10, 2015
  2. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Mar 10, 2015

The bezel is actually stainless steel, the insert is aluminium.

3. Frunkinator Keep tickin & tockin, work it all around the clock Mar 10, 2015

So the thin edge should hold up...

4. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Mar 10, 2015

I've had over a dozen speedmasters and don't recall ever denting one. Obviously, I never wore one while re-tubing steam generators, which used to be my occupation.

lerxst, ctime3 and Frunkinator like this.
  5. imexian Mar 15, 2015

Getting the scars is all part of the history of that watch...

jaymyms likes this.
  6. imexian Mar 15, 2015

I wear a speedy from 65 it's worn on bezel and used, it's great....

7. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner Mar 16, 2015

Well:

I am wearing my Speedys all day long, doing everything ... This watch is a watch for Racers, Astronauts, Men!
    I do not have big problems with wear and tear - this watch is really a hard thing and you need a lot to get wearing
    on it which is unable to be polished away! The only thing you will see very fastly are scratches on the clasp - but
    thats absolute normal. Do not hesitate to wear a Speedy every day and night to all sceenes of work and events ;-)
    Thats what makes a Speedy a Speedy - an allday impressive and accurate watch for everything!

Best regards,
    Hans

DSC_0259.jpg DSC_0275.jpg DSC_0276.jpg IMG_20140825_145000.jpg P5130256.jpg P6190061.jpg P8140563.jpg P9020623.jpg

Temiyasen and xcentric like this.
  8. yinzerniner Mar 18, 2015

I, too, was surprised at the "thin edge" of the bezel when I first tried on a Speedy Pro, but I think it successfully skirts the aesthetic line of classic and modern while adding a bit of character to a bezel that has been oftentimes copied. The good part about Speedys is how easy it is to find replacement parts, and if you really are worried about keeping the "as new" look you can just swap out the crystal and bezel, while keeping the originals in case you'd like to go for more of a worn character. Best of luck and wear it well.