Forums Latest Members
  1. Lugduno Aug 23, 2017

I'll do my best to make a quite long story short, for the best of all of us. I've been interested in watches for quite some years now, and Omega has always in a way been the "grail" since most contemporary and vintage Rolex has not quite been my cup of tea. I've then decided that my first Omega will be bought as a gift for myself when I get my university degree.

After quite some readings and research, I've narrowed it down to the blue Aqua Terra, ref. 231.10.39.21.03.001 or maybe newer (however not the Basel 2017 edition) OR the classic .005 Speedmaster. Yesterday I spent some time in a major Scandinavian city and decided to try them on at two different (both well-known AD's).

One of the sales representatives surprised me a bit since he was heavily in favor of me buying the Aqua Terra instead of the Speedmaster, for a number of reasons I'll try to remember.

1: Newer, better, technology and movement in the 8500 caliber.
    2: Aqua Terra is a self-winding movement, which he thought would be a problem.
    3: The 8500 is more robust, water resistant and overall better watch, and since I'll buy it as a gift for myself I should treat myself with a watch that can be worn in more overall situations.

As you can tell, I'm really torn between two amazing watches, and hearing some feedback from the Omega community would come in very handy.

All the best,
    Jim

IMG_2060.jpg IMG_2064.jpg

2. wilfreb Aug 23, 2017

Aqua Terra has to manny new tech that is hard to beat, and the new 41mm versions are gorgeous that would be my pick.

I'm not a fan of the plastic crystal and the manual movement of the Speedmaster, maybe the automatic Speedmaster I like better but they are too big at 44mm

Edited by a mod Aug 23, 2017
    FatPhil and jcmartinez98 like this.
  3. Lugduno Aug 23, 2017

You're absolutely right, Omega has done a great job with the development of the 8500, and considering that the Speedmaster is based on almost 60 years older technology, it's quite clear what watch is winning that race.
    But at the same time, the Speedmaster is well built, extremely robust and is well known of its functions...

On the picture attatched, I'm wearing the 38.5mm version of the Aqua Terra. The 41.5 is borderline too big for my small chicken wrists...

4. Df13 Aug 23, 2017

I know that advertising departments would like to have us believe otherwise, but buying an anachronistic mechanical watch based on new technology is like buying today's latest and greatest typewriter. It doesn't really matter. Just buy the one you like.

My daily watch is an Aqua Terra 2500, because it suits all occasions and is durable and water resistant like a sport watch. That being said, I'm not a fan of the 8500 AT models, so I'd pick the Speedy in this case.

5. wilfreb Aug 23, 2017

The new versions of the AT are 41mm and wear perfect, you should try them out

The antimagnetic qualities and the transparent case back makes the new AT a total winner for me, but to each its own of course

Edited by a mod Aug 23, 2017
  6. Df13 Aug 23, 2017

Yikes, have you had a lot of issues with watch magnetization? Plus, a demagnetizer is cheap.

7. Lugduno Aug 23, 2017

Tried the (current, so not 2017) edition of 2017 and it works, but doesn't look as good as the smaller 38.5. But I'm also a guy that enjoy a bit smaller watches and have no issues with wearing 36mm or really small vintage watches.

8. wilfreb Aug 23, 2017

36mm and even 38mm is a great size, if you like it, go for it, the AT is a very versatile robust watch, just like the Date Just

Foo2rama likes this.
  9. Lugduno Aug 23, 2017

You're off course very right, and if the Speedmaster have been around for such a long time, and still is certified by NASA that must mean something of a quality mark. With that said, my personal opinion is that the blue Aqua Terra is absolutely georgeous, and at the same time a very versatile watch that goes well around with most clothing. Another sales person recomended the Speedmaster, so it really just comes down to preferences, and it's here where I really start to loose myself in all of this.

Df13 likes this.
  10. Df13 Aug 23, 2017

If you like the design of the AT, I think it's a no brainer as a do-all kind of watch. I wear mine for literally everything, from swimming to sports to outdoor adventures to weddings.
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Edited Aug 23, 2017
  11. keepitsimple Aug 23, 2017

I don't have any use for a chronograph (I guess hardly anyone who buys them does ;)) so I'd always choose a 3 hander (or possibly a GMT).

The AT is a great looking watch - very versatile too. I'm not a fan of large watches. The 38.5mm is the right size for me (and I don't have that skinny a wrist).

PS - I know you discounted current Rolexes as not to your taste, but don't dismiss the Explorer I without trying one - also a brilliant and versatile watch IMO (and with a much better bracelet too).

PPS - Personally, much prefer the later (but pre-2017) version of the AT as more refined than the earlier version, although you'll probably get the earlier version a bit cheaper.

Edited Aug 23, 2017
  12. mikechi22 Aug 23, 2017

I think the Aqua Terra is great for a graduation gift! Speedmaster is cool but let that be your next milestone gift. The AT can dress up or down and for your first job, that is a good thing. The Speedy is a little much for the office, I think, for a guy starting out. The smaller size is a selling point too, for me at least...dainty wrists!

13. Shailor Aug 23, 2017

I'd go with the Speedmaster Professional. You can get a new one at a fair price and it's styling is beautiful and iconic. I bought mine in 1992 as a gift for myself. I've never regretted it.

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 23, 2017

Not that I have looked for a few years but what is the price difference between the two NEW from an Omega Boutique

Speedmaster and a Seiko dive watch and you have the best of both worlds for the price of one watch.

15. Lugduno Aug 25, 2017

Great comment, and it is also one of the points the sales representatives raised, that Speedmaster should be number 2 on the list. When I pushed him a bit more he admitted that it's quite easy to dress up the Speedmaster using a black gator strap, however the Speedmaster is a bit more casual and sporty out of the box.

16. Lugduno Aug 25, 2017

I was actually planning on doing that myself, and to use my current Certina DS Action as more of a tool-watch when I know I'll be pushing the limits of what the Speedmaster can take. So in that case, it wouldn't matter too much that the latter is not as robust or water resistant.

17. ras47 Aug 26, 2017

Automatic winding is a must for me. I went with a 44mm Speedmaster, but I have 7 3/4" wrists. IMG_2319.JPG
    I just love the look of the Speedy, and I actually use the Chronograph feature. My next choice would be a Seamaster- I think this latest crop are the best looking Seamasters ever.

Shailor likes this.