Forums Latest Members
  1. solesman Dec 26, 2018

Merry Christmas to one and all.

I'm looking to pick up a Speedmaster soon and wanted peoples thoughts (yes, I know the decision comes down to me.)

I'm considering to either go for the new reference that comes with the black croc strap and deployant clasp. I intensely dislike the Speedmaster bracelet that ships now. If I go with this reference, aside from a boutique or maybe Goldsmiths or Ernest Jones, are there any recommended grey market dealers people on here can recommend? I'm based in Surrey.

Also, I'm considering a 3592.50 with gilt movement hesalite and sapphire case back. It would be nice to see the movement, but would the steel and hesalite be the one?

Thanks all.

Dan

amiriqbal likes this.
  2. zwjk Dec 27, 2018

I am not in the UK so I can't recommend any dealers, but if you're buying a new Speedy I definitely recommend you purchase one on a bracelet. It will definitely make resale easier if you ever decide to sell it.

I do prefer the 3592.50, but you won't be able to find it brand new.

3. Stevedssd Dec 27, 2018

Iconic Watches is a good UK Grey but their current advertised price of £3150 is not that cheap for a 311.30.42.30.01.005. As said above I'd personally get a 005 with a bracelet, rather than a 001 on a strap. If you don't like the bracelet there are so many strap options at limited cost to replace it once you have it. Most AD's are likely to beat the current Iconic price so it's worth asking.

smitty190373 likes this.
  4. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 27, 2018

You think? I agree that Iconic aren't as cheap as they once were but I wouldn't bank on getting much more than 10% from an AD and boutiques won't entertain a discount at all. You may get lucky but I think it optimistic to suggest 'most AD's' will beat 15%

amiriqbal likes this.
  5. solesman Dec 27, 2018

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm in agreement that it's unlikely that an AD will give anything more than 10% hence my asking regarding greys that people on here have experience with.

I know a 3592.50 would be pre-owned. Is it worth buying? Held in high regard? The gilt movement is a stunner for sure.

I hear you with the bracelet option :) I've been offered a free service from a boutique and "help with a snoopy strap and deployant clasp" The service is £500 now and I'm guessing it won't need servicing in the next 2-3 years so will most likely increase in cost. That would be 15% off in the long run if I keep the watch of course. Also, a 50th anniversary will come out sometime next year. Paralyzed here!

6. dan7800 Dec 27, 2018

7. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 27, 2018

If you buy new with warranty, by default it won't now need servicing for at least 5 years since if it started to run erratically within that time frame you could get it sorted under warranty. I would wait a couple of months and see what the 50th looks like personally. The std watch will still be here.

8. solesman Dec 27, 2018

If I was US based I would 100% contact these guys, but I'm in the UK.

9. NickC Dec 27, 2018

I would drop Giles at www.oakleighwatches.co.uk a line and see what he can source.

10. SpeedyD Dec 27, 2018

Walk in with the cash for the amount (e.g minus 15%) or whatever you’re willing to pay. If it is a sensible amount then I would expect an AD to trade. But be prepared to walk away. I usually leave my number and ask them to call back if they change their mind. They usually do.

amiriqbal and Jerseyhammer like this.
  11. Ewellblue Dec 28, 2018

If you've not already made your mind up try this. I walked into Ernest Jones in Kingston a while back and was completely honest with them telling them I was going on holiday from Gatwick and planned on buying a Seamaster from there airport store, but wanted to try before I was under a two hour time limit at the airport. They were very helpful and as soon as I'd made my decision they offered to match the airport price without me even asking. To work this out divide the cost of the watch by 1.2, so managed to pick up a UK watch minus the tax but without the headache of do pay the VAT on my return. This was about 18 months ago but no reason why it won't work now!

12. Thegreatroberto Jan 13, 2019

If the OP lives in Surrey I'd be suggesting too to go and get the watch at Gatwick or Heathrow. I'm looking at the new SMPc and can get £600 off at these airports. And good luck if you can get Your local Ernest Jones to match. I'd be having some of that!
    I know when I do battle with my local AD that they will get nowhere near the £600. So I'll try my local Ernest Jones instead.

13. akshaydashrath Jan 14, 2019

Just picked one up from Dom Hackett in Hatton Garden. Great price on the watch with a 5 year guarantee https://www.hackettwatches.com/hw/items/JWEBA48NDJ. Worth dropping him an email.

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 14, 2019

Be mindful that the 50th LE will be nowhere near the price of a standard Moon Watch :whistling:

15. amiriqbal Jan 14, 2019

I would go for a 3572 with tritium, if you can find it.

You'll always be able to pick up the standard moonwatch and haggle somewhat of discount/buy grey.

I'm biased though, as I've been hankering after a clean 3572 for a while!

16. stevec14 Jan 15, 2019

My AD (fraser hart in Newbury) will do between 10/15 % straight off the bat if that’s any use to you (admittedly that’s me asking). I’d look to pay between 3000/3050 for the 001.

There is a firm called your luxury time LTD advertising on chrono 24 at £2,850 new. I assume they source these from eu dealers but might be worth a look. You pay via the chrono 24 escrow system so there’s a bit of extra protection as the funds don’t get released until you receive and are happy - I haven’t used them however so can’t comment on anything else however.

I’d probably stick at an AD if I could get one close Ish to that price.

Try watchfinder for an older one. On paper their prices can seem a bit steep, but they are usually willing to knock a couple of hundred quid off for those who ask (and many don’t). Good luck with the search.

amiriqbal likes this.
  17. Ian_km Jan 15, 2019

Exactly what I paid at Leslie Davis in Milton Keynes a year ago, easy to deal with and good service.

Edited Jan 15, 2019
  18. steelfish Jan 15, 2019

I don't know about others but I've always had great experiences in ADs and indy boutiques. Unless it's obviously an LE you should find 15-20% achievable if you're open and honest. I'm always up front and if it's something I genuinely will buy I'll say 'what can you do to help me buy today? It's out of my price range today but if you do me a great deal I'll buy now instead of having to save up for it more in a few months time.'

I think they just appreciate not being messed around.

I bought my 9300 speedy for almost the same price as the proper moonwatch with this approach - granted I also bought a whopping engagement ring at the same time though!!

19. Dombo63 Jan 15, 2019

Have you tried the watch on with the deployant clasp strap? I found the Silver Snoopy strap and leather strap on Speedy Tuesday Mk I were not as comfortable as the standard steel bracelet.

20. stevec14 Jan 15, 2019

I have to say, I’m the same. The leather with deployant on the 001 was fairly stiff and inflexible. I’d buy on the bracelet and source a good aftermarket strap personally.

amiriqbal likes this.