Speedmaster tokyo 2020 green

Just wanted some opinions , I've been back and fourth on which speedmaster to buy Im looking for a
Good investment watch and had planned in going with just a traditional professional. This morning Infound a tokyo 2020 green in very good condition all boxes ans papers for 6000 . Just curious what the consensus is on these . Biagio

There is no such thing as an “investment” watch if you plan to ever take it out of the box- then it’s just a watch, so buy it if you like it.
As far as the Tokyo models, I love them for more than just their visual appeal (the rising sun and the blue are my fav)- the historical element of being made for an event that didn’t happen due to a global catastrophe- yes, morbid but a reminder of so much promise dashed by a once in a millennium unifying event…kind of bitter sweet.
I think for what they are (fun colored Speedmasters) they are a solid value at current prices for some of the models- they do have the potential to go up in value over time (if that is your thing) as they were a LE and won’t be made again.

Like 4
It's not an investment and $6k - $7k for the green & gold model is the going rate on the market right now.

Buy it because you would want to wear it. And also because you're a sadist who likes being branded:

342343242.jpg

Like 7
As far as the Tokyo models, I love them for more than just their visual appeal (the rising sun and the blue are my fav)- the historical element of being made for an event that didn’t happen due to a global catastrophe- yes, morbid but a reminder of so much promise dashed by a once in a millennium unifying event…kind of bitter sweet.

I keep toying with the idea of getting one for similar reasons. 2020 was super tough. I had it actually relatively easy - my job was safe, we didn't lost any close family, etc - but it was still a bizarre, brutal year in many ways. I think a 2020 speedy would a nice memento of perseverance.

That said, the two I really like - the rising sun and the panda are a bit out of my reach.

Like 3
Investments? There is no such thing as a reliable investment! Especially in watches, you may get lucky and sell for considerably more than you paid, but on the whole, there are better bets available.........you may as well take a punt on two flies crawling up a wall.
Speaking of which...I reckon the little bastard of the left will get to the top first.........

I get what you mean. No one likes paying $5k for a watch that’s worth $1k on the resale market.

If that is your main priority then go more mainstream than the green dial. Green is really fashion sensitive IMO some years green is big some it is not. The Tokyo Panda is 1 and Rising Sun 2 for those watches.

But if you love the green, shop carefully and you’ll find a bargain or two out there as it is not the most popular one. Just recognize that less popular is what it is, it may change it may not.

Like 4
This is what I was going for in the post , Maybe investment was a bad choice of words . I agree can't go wrong with a traditional speedy . Im trying to build a small watch collection because I love watches "grandfather as a horologist ". Ive been putting a lot of money in my 401 k to catch up and it leaves me with no fun at all. Figure maybe collecting cautiously would be a way I could do something I enjoy and not loose too much money

It's not an investment and $6k - $7k for the green & gold model is the going rate on the market right now.

Buy it because you would want to wear it. And also because you're a sadist who likes being branded:

342343242.jpg
omg that awesome !!!! and if you think about this watch it represents two huge conspiracies ...we went to the moon and the existence of covid

maybe investment was a bad choice of words... how bout Im a watch fanatic that's really poor and want to be able to sell my collection some day and not explain to my wife why we are missing so much money in 15 years "when I retire" . Truth is I survived cancer like 10 years ago and I'm always worried all the money Im putting away I won't be able tp enjoy , this month I left a job to become a trainer conductor and even though Im in pretty good shape I couldn't perform the "hand test" that woman bigger than myself could do , probably nothing could be my arthritis however it shook me , lost the job , can't go back to my other job and just took a job as a very well paid fry cook lol so I decided I'm not waiting any longer , I'm buying my dream watch lol . Im an amateur horologist and have built a few for family members . had an explorer II in college "present from my wife" but sold it, was blown away a few years ago when I was going to buy another one. I sold mine in 2010 for 4000, can't touch them for less than 7500 , that's when I got really Interested in the speedmaster incredible history and just a beautiful watch for the price , I wear a lunar pilot and was surprised how much I love the bulova.

There is no such thing as an “investment” watch if you plan to ever take it out of the box- then it’s just a watch, so buy it if you like it.
I think for what they are (fun colored Speedmasters) they are a solid value at current prices for some of the models- they do have the potential to go up in value over time (if that is your thing) as they were a LE and won’t be made again.
I get that but Im just being cautious because first my significant other has no idea what I'm doing , and if I have to make a quick sale I don't want to be out of luck because I bought a redheaded stepchild. Actually Watches have always been a passion after a really bad month where I had though I may be sick I figured maybe I can do both , put money away and enjoy my hobby. Im just being overly cautious, I love the Tokyo in green but I have very flamboyant taste ....especially for a guy that looks like a caveman. it up between one on chronometer 24 for 6000 and a new "2023" professional for 4900 so like 5400 after duties . Tokyo on chromo seems to be in very good shape, I figure with an omega service it would come back like new, it's amazing what they can do. My last and only other luxury watch was an Explorer II , I had a huge dent in it, whenI got it back from Rolex it was gone , blew me away.

To be candid, I don't think that watch is as likely to hold value as a traditional moonwatch. I think it has a limited audience and won't be an easy sale. So only buy it if you like it and don't mind making a bad investment.

Like 1
Some watches appreciate in value, some just flatline, some drop like a stone. Rolex is and always has been an anomaly. They were aspirational (slightly higher than most sport watches but not stupid money) but the last 5 years has been insane. They are finally coming back down to earth (30% across the market for the last year) but they will never go back to the mid 00’s for value.
The way I have always felt is that I enjoy the pleasure of wearing a watch I like for as long as I like, and if I ever have to sell, I hope to break even on it. If I make a few bucks, then bully- but breaking even on a consumer product is still pretty amazing IMO.
Stay away from fashion pieces if you are risk averse- include some of the fickle $$$$ PP/AP/VC and particularly Richard Miele. Tastes change quickly and what’s hot today may not be hot tomorrow. Classics are never out of demand.

Like 2
Buy what you like and don't worry if it might be a little harder to sell down the road, if you like the green Tokyo buy it, $6k sounds about right. For me that makes more sense than buying a black one on the idea that it would be easier to sell in the future.

I actually have a green Tokyo, it's a striking watch with the Sedna gold bezel, crown, pushers and dial furniture. I have it on a Genteel Handmade green calf strap with green stitching. Very cool, and different, look for this iconic watch. The only green item on the watch while on the SS bracelet is the green bezel, it's not like a lot of these watches with solid green dials, rubber straps, etc. It's pretty subtle.
Edited:

Stop thinking about it as an investment and buy what you like.
I appreciate that, not really investment per se , just don't want a dud I can't sell because I have terrible taste lol this is my daily
Eta 2836 with pink mother of pearl dial and pink and white cz .
Actually one I built for my daughter that wanted a coach and I said NO!

Buy what you like and don't worry if it might be a little harder to sell down the road, if you like the green Tokyo buy it, $6k sounds about right. For me that makes more sense than buying a black one on the idea that it would be easier to sell in the future.

I actually have a green Tokyo, it's a striking watch with the Sedna gold bezel, crown, pushers and dial furniture. I have it on a Genteel Handmade green calf strap with green stitching. Very cool, and different, look for this iconic watch. The only green item on the watch while on the SS bracelet is the green bezel, it's not like a lot of these watches with solid green dials, rubber straps, etc. It's pretty subtle.

For some reason I can't seem to attach pictures on my tablet right now.
Im just being overly cautious , I almost bought a split second which would have been a mistake, Im also diagnosed
with OCD so I tend to be ridiculous. It will be in bubble wrap on my wrist after what I've done to the Lunar Pilot

Investments? There is no such thing as a reliable investment! Especially in watches, you may get lucky and sell for considerably more than you paid, but on the whole, there are better bets available.........you may as well take a punt on two flies crawling up a wall.
Speaking of which...I reckon the little bastard of the left will get to the top first.........
I just wanted to get a consensus on how people feel about the watch, like he split second that most aren't a fan of . If I could afford It Id get the 50th anniversary, with the Tokyo its also Intriguing because the olympics never happened and it a moon watch..I can drive my brother nuts since he doesn't believe in either covid or the moonlandiing

Well, perhaps post web pics of both here and get some opinions.

As for your brother- he needs to get a hobby- perhaps collecting moon swag and flat earth memorabilia.

I just wanted to get a consensus on how people feel about the watch, like he split second that most aren't a fan of . If I could afford It Id get the 50th anniversary, with the Tokyo its also Intriguing because the olympics never happened and it a moon watch..I can drive my brother nuts since he doesn't believe in either covid or the moonlandiing

Now there is a good reason to buy it.......anything that needles ratbag conspiracy theorists has to be good!

Generally, luxury watch market prices remain in decline. IMHO, if your concerned about resale don't collect luxury watches. Enjoy the lunar pilot; its a fantastic piece!