Forums Latest Members
  1. roryoc11 Jan 31, 2017

Hi all,

I currently own a 1990s speedy which I love and wear daily. Whilst on holiday I saw an ad for an ST 145.022-71 Speedmaster in the area and went to check it out. The plan being to get rid of my current speedy in favour of this fine reference to wear and enjoy.

Everything on the watch checks out and looks good (thanks @Spacefruit for the unparalleled resources available on speedmaster101) bar needing a new crystal and some work to get the hour to reset.

However whilst examining it i noticed some black paint in my hands, and was wondering if the bezels on these can flake? It could have been from the loupe but I doubt it.

I've attached a picture of the watch in question to help everyone think!

IMG_7442.JPG

Thanks,

Rory

Etp095 likes this.
  2. MaiLollo Jan 31, 2017

It does look good indeed, even if it has what is called the "hour creep", which is when the hour counter for the chrono spins constantly. My 145.022-74 had it when I got it and a watchmaker repaired it in 5 days for next to nothing, so no biggie there ;)
    The pic is bad but it looks like a correct step dial, bezel, dial and hands look all correct.
    As far as the black paint is concerned, I have no idea !

LeoneFM likes this.
  3. wsfarrell Jan 31, 2017

I've never heard of paint flaking off a bezel, and that one does not appear to be retouched. Nice watch, once the hour creep is fixed and the crystal is polished or replaced.

Spacefruit likes this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 1, 2017

If you don't know the service history, the watch should get a full service. I've not seen a bezel flake (it's not paint, I believe these are anodized aluminum), but one thing to consider is that if the watch has not been serviced in many years, often the case back gasket can turn to black goop, and that can get on your hands. This is one I just started servicing where the gasket has not completely turned to liquid, but was well on the way and had to be scraped out:

[​IMG]

Cheers, Al

Etp095, LeoneFM and MaiLollo like this.
  5. LeoneFM Feb 1, 2017

+1

6. roryoc11 Feb 3, 2017

Thanks for your advice all, the paint must be from the loupe or gasket. Was kind of hoping I would get a stay away to end the will I/ won't I debate!!

7. td69 Feb 8, 2017

Speedy 71 is officially the last reference that comes with step dial, though some 74's do have that as well. Because of that, IMO they are quite more valuable than their 70's peers. I'm hoping all the scratches are only on the crystal, not the dial. As far as the paint flaking off bezel is concerned, I've never seen the flake myself but my everyday Speedy has its DON bezel show some bigger scuff marks over time the longer I keep wearing it. Here's my 71 that comes with full 1039/516. Good luck with your hunt!

71.jpg