Forums Latest Members

speedmaster solar impulse GMT head count

1. dinexus Aug 22, 2019

So despite being much more of a Seamaster kinda guy, I've always really liked the original Solar Impulse (quirky, titanium, GMT, 100m WR, cool story), a feeling that was reinforced after RJB wrote it up on Fratello a year or so ago. Well, one recently popped up in NOS condition for well under its market value, so I took the plunge on an *ahem* impulse, figuring I could easily offload it if we didn't bond.

[​IMG]

Well, we did. This thing is awesome. Not too thick, not too long, just enough color, super lightweight, GMT (crucial for me), and the quirky carbon fiber isn't immediately apparent unless the dial is angled enough to catch light. As I'm about to pull off the plastic, I've been wondering – how many of these are actually out there? Seeing as it's been discontinued, mine's numbered in the mid-3000s, which has to be near the end of production unless it was sitting around for awhile? Is there a way to get production year by serial, or is the numbering in line with year of production?

dcomega, Fedev and kilofinal like this.
  2. OmegaYooper Aug 23, 2019

Great to see your post. Huge fan of the solar impulse. Believe it or not, the solar impulse was my first Omega purchase back in 2007. It was my daily wear for ten years, and is numbered in the low thousands. Congratulations, I think you’ve got yourself a real winner!

dinexus likes this.
  3. jets Aug 24, 2019

Very cool piece. I just noticed - one of the few titanium Omegas with polished bits on the bracelet.

4. gpssti4 Aug 24, 2019

I love these, I just wish they were a little smaller - maybe 42mm. How does it wear on the wrist?

dinexus likes this.
  5. dinexus Aug 25, 2019

It wears really light and thin – especially compared to the other 44.25mm cases, like the modern Racing. Little longer than the Racing though, as the older generation Speedy bracelets had an endlink that adds a few mm to the L2L. Wrist shots coming!

OmegaYooper likes this.
  6. jpbrackin Aug 25, 2019

Which Zero Tolerance model is that? I love and carry the oddball Persian looking 0460 as it simply feels perfect in hand and it disappears in your pocket.

7. OmegaYooper Aug 25, 2019

Totally agree, very light thanks to the titanium. C75FD158-690E-4BBD-957E-688C66D29151.jpeg

8. dinexus Aug 26, 2019

It's the 0900 Les George!

9. jpbrackin Aug 26, 2019

That's a stout looking folder by comparison! I like ZT's business model of putting out great designs from the major names. The 0460 is a Dmitry Sinkevich design and definitely isn't for everyone... You must have a thing for titanium tools, me too ;) ke-zt460ti.jpg

10. funkright Sep 7, 2019

Gorgeous watch. Just love the weight of Ti watches on the wrist. I've been hunting for this or the Speedmaster Broad Arrow GMT. Both need the 'right' price for me, haven't found that yet. Enjoy.