Speedmaster snoopy / 321 dilemma

Hi folks,

Long time lurker and all that..

After thinking my watch purchasing was done for a while (expensive year this year involving 40th birthdays and family holidays) the Omega boutique called and offered me the snoopy 50th! I couldn’t turn it down, so picked it up last week. This comes into my collection along with my 3861 Hesalite Speedmaster and my Explorer 1 40mm (224270).

Now the dilemma is the watch I’ve been holding out for since announcement is the Ed White, and not sure I’m getting one from the boutique any time soon but who knows. However they are trading only just over list on grey market.

I do love the snoopy, more than I even thought I would just not sure whether to keep it.

so.. I’m in a pickle whether or not I..

1. Sell the snoopy and both my other watches for the Ed White + cash (about 4k). Down to one watch but gives me cash to help appease the mrs.

2. Sell the snoopy now, keep my other 2 watches and just wait for the call finger crossed.

3. Sell my 3861 or Explorer and keep the snoopy for now, see what happens in the future.

I can’t justify keeping all 3 watches at this time so need to make a decision, but it’s hard!

Any advice?

Keep the Snoopy and save up for an original Ed White and not the re-issue from the OB.

Like 7
[
Keep the Snoopy and save up for an original Ed White and not the re-issue from the OB.
ah yes secret option C. My only worry is I know nothing about vintage and the expense that can come with it

Don't do anything until you are sure of what you want. You say you love the Snoopy but aren't sure you want to keep it, hard to square the circle there. If your heart is set on the Ed White you should be able to sell the Snoopy and add a little money and get the EW. I have the EW and think it's the best Speedmaster in the last 50 years, but that's just my opinion. Others like the Snoopy, personal choice.

I would not go the vintage route unless you just have to have a vintage watch. That's the beauty of the new EW, you get the original 321 movement but with a superior case, dial and bracelet, and Omega will provide service for it for years to come. 60+ year old movements with limited access to new Omega spare parts is not something I want to deal with.

Like 8
Option 4. Keep the Snoopy and the explorer. Sell the standard Speedy Pro. Wait for a call from the AD for the 321, then decide if you can afford it without selling a watch or not. Will give you time to save up as well.

I refuse to buy anything for more than retail because the prices are driven up by hype and speculation.

Like 5
Option 4. Keep the Snoopy and the explorer. Sell the standard Speedy Pro. Wait for a call from the AD for the 321, then decide if you can afford it without selling a watch or not. Will give you time to save up as well.

I refuse to buy anything for more than retail because the prices are driven up by hype and speculation.
Yep this is what I’m thinking thank you

If you have to sell one now this is what I would lean towards as well. Just sucks because you’re gonna take a big hit selling the 3861.

I'd also do Option 4. I have both an wear both as well. The 3861 will loose a lot of wrist time once you get the 321.

Like 1
I almost sold my 321, but came to my senses. I’m wearing it for the very 1st time today.

And don’t sell the 3861. It’s a good one to wear all the time that you don’t have to worry about something bad happening to…

IMG_1252.jpeg

Like 4
So I’m now thinking about either selling my Explorer and 3861 and buying the 321 with some extra cash. OR I could use that extra cash and buy the white Speedmaster and have the three watches! So basically 3 nice watches in the collection or ‘just’ the grail 321.

does the 321 wear similar to the 3861?.. I know folk keep saying it’s smaller but the 3861 is also 40mm excluding crown guards so assume it similar.

A straight lug Speedmaster wears differently than a twisted lug for various reasons, to me it fits much better, looks better and is far more enjoyable to wind in the morning. Keep your Snoopy but if you really are serious about the 321 sell the 3861 and Explorer and add the needed cash.

Like 1
The 321 is a watch I wear at least a handful of times per week, usually on leather. It is brilliant, nearly flawless and full of understated detail.

I think it is the finest recreation of a watch ever attempted by any company, and something I would move a Snoopy for to make room to fit. Omega is the absolute king of reissued watches, no question.

I might be wrong in many Omega fans’ eyes, and whilst the Snoopy is in its own right an incredible and playful watch, I feel it is slightly lesser of the two if you are able to go for the 321.

In a perfect world however, there is room for both, but I understand the need to appease both your curiosity and also the needs of your wife…

Like 7
The 321 is a watch I wear at least a handful of times per week, usually on leather. It is brilliant, nearly flawless and full of understated detail.

I think it is the finest recreation of a watch ever attempted by any company, and something I would move a Snoopy for to make room to fit. Omega is the absolute king of reissued watches, no question.

I might be wrong in many Omega fans’ eyes, and whilst the Snoopy is in its own right an incredible and playful watch, I feel it is slightly lesser of the two if you are able to go for the 321.

In a perfect world however, there is room for both, but I understand the need to appease both your curiosity and also the needs of your wife…
Thanks! Yes ideally I’d have both, and more but that would be firm grounds for divorce.

interestingly I’ve also been offered both the white dial Speedmaster this week (very nice in person, but not a 321) and the no date sub I had asked about a long time back. The sub peaks my interest as I don’t currently have a diver and is half the price of the 321. Not sure I’m a sub guy though as nice as it is

Like 1
Thanks! Yes ideally I’d have both, and more but that would be firm grounds for divorce.

interestingly I’ve also been offered both the white dial Speedmaster this week (very nice in person, but not a 321) and the no date sub I had asked about a long time back. The sub peaks my interest as I don’t currently have a diver and is half the price of the 321. Not sure I’m a sub guy though as nice as it is

I am very lucky to have a patient and supportive wife. She bought a WatchBox for me to fill, so who am I to let the team down?

My name is also down for a 124060, not much of a fan of the brand as a whole, but a simple no nonsense diver like that is never a bad option.

If worse comes to worse and you are not a fan of the Sub it is not at all too difficult to simply sell it locally for a small profit.

Have not yet seen the white dial speedy, so can’t say how much I’d consider that as an option, as far as I’ve seen it’s pretty tasty, but with a Speedmaster already in your collection with a 3861 it’d be a pretty big overlap.

Most definitely go for the 321. Ok, this is from the guy who just picked his up… but still, go for the 321

Like 1
Most definitely go for the 321. Ok, this is from the guy who just picked his up… but still, go for the 321
The honeymoon lasts for a considerable time with the 321, and every time putting it on feels like an occasion, even if it is only ever used for timing steaks! Congratulations on picking yours up today.

How long was the wait for you?

Like 1
The honeymoon lasts for a considerable time with the 321, and every time putting it on feels like an occasion, even if it is only ever used for timing steaks! Congratulations on picking yours up today.

How long was the wait for you?

thanks. I’m hoping it does last!

I was somewhat late coming to the 321 and so under a year of waiting but I suspect helped by a couple of other purchases from the OB reasonably recently.