Speedmaster Slapping and Other Stupid Stuff

Do you ever do stupid stuff to your watch?

Mad Dog once started a great thread about objects encountered in one's daily life that are dangerous to watches. Apparently I've become a dangerous object to watches.

I probably would be better off not to tell this on myself, or if I want to go through with telling I should join WUS or Rolex Forum and relate this tale there rather than to clutter this fine forum with such an embarrassing admission.

But, since I committed my thoughtlessness with an Omega watch I'll tell it here.

I slapped the livin' hooey out of my Speedmaster earlier today.

A friend and I were enjoying a late lunch this afternoon. Was a Cajun place where the crab cake appitizers are good enough to make you "slap your granny."

Drinks and crab cake appetizer had just been brought out when a pesky fly began stridently pestering both of us. He just would not leave us be!

We waived him off repeatedly as we munched down on the crab cakes. By the time the main dishes of Cajun yumminess were brought out I was heartily sick off dealing with the fly. Oh, and he was a wily bird too, evading our efforts, first to effectively shoo him away, then to swat him into oblivion with bare hands.

Finally, he lit on my Speedmaster. Right on the outside edge of the bezel at 6 o'clock. I got ready to make my move, muttering to my luncheon companion to watch and see if I was too old and slow to make the kill. I made my best effort to speedily swat and slapped my Speedmaster but good!

The instance I effected this move I immediately came to my senses ... just in time to mentally ask myself: "now why did I just do that?!"

The Speedmaster appears none the worse for sustaining a no-holds-barred slap event. It normally keeps time to within the same minute originally set for longer than a week, even ten days without becoming a minute off, either fast or slow. It trends toward slightly fast, but is within the "most pleasing accuracy" status here, hence receives consideration for long trip events when I might be away for a week or more.

It may be a little puzzled watch, being slapped like that when it was innocently minding its own business. Don't know if the watch's fine timekeeping is compromised. but the poor thing runs yet and appears to be gen'ning out normal accuracy some eight hours later.

Oh, and I missed the fly.
Edited:

Operative word up there in your posting may be "drinks"

"Think you used enough dynamite, there, Butch?"::facepalm1::

No harm no foul

Actually I've yet to take up drinking. It was just coffee and water. The caffeine wasn't the issue for I had needed it in order to rouse myself from a vegetative state.

Did a similar stupid non thinking thing a month back when I accidentally whacked my new one week old SUN65J on a pantry door handle.
These door handles are an old nemosises ( new kitchen) having damaged my elbows and head on numerous occasions so I should have known to avoid them but was blindsided by a request by my 4 year old to grab some snack for her and in my rush to comply whacked the *hit out my watch, I am still not over the trauma I suspect PTSD.

IMG_20220723_233614.jpg

IMG_20220723_233644.jpg

Do you ever do stupid stuff to your watch?

Mad Dog once started a great thread about objects encountered in one's daily life that are dangerous to watches. Apparently I've become a dangerous object to watches.

I probably would be better off not to tell this on myself, or if I want to go through with telling I should join WUS or Rolex Forum and relate this tale there rather than to clutter this fine forum with such an embarrassing admission.

But, since I committed my thoughtlessness with an Omega watch I'll tell it here.

I slapped the livin' hooey out of my Speedmaster earlier today.

A friend and I were enjoying a late lunch this afternoon. Was a Cajun place where the crab cake appitizers are good enough to make you "slap your granny."

Drinks and crab cake appetizer had just been brought out when a pesky fly began stridently pestering both of us. He just would not leave us be!

We'waived him off repeatedly as we munched down on the crab cakes. By the time the main dishes of Cajun yumminess were brought out I was heartily sick off dealing with the fly. Oh, and he was a wily bird too, evading our efforts, first to effectively shoo him away, then to swat him into oblivion with bare hands.

Finally, he lit on my Speedmaster. Right on the outside edge of the bezel at 6 o'clock. I got ready to make my move, muttering to my luncheon companion to watch and see if I was too old and slow to make the kill. I made my best effort to speedily swat and slapped my Speedmaster but good!

The instance I effected this move I immediately came to my senses ... just in time to mentally ask myself: "now why did I just do that?!"

The Speedmaster appears none the worse for sustaining a no-holds-barred slap event. It normally keeps time to within the same minute originally set for longer than a week, even ten days without becoming a minute off, either fast or slow. It trends toward slightly fast, but is within the "most pleasing accuracy" status here, hence receives consideration for long trip events when I might be away for a week or more.

It may be a little puzzled watch, being slapped like that when it was innocently minding its own business. Don't know if the watch's fine timekeeping is compromised. but the poor thing runs yet and appears to be gen'ning out normal accuracy some eight hours later.

Oh, and I missed the fly.
I think your Speedy should be OK. If it can stand up to whatever abuse NASA throws at it, it will stand up to a slap on the wrist.
https://www.twentytwoten.com/1574/nasa-testing-regime-omega-speedmaster-moonwatch/

Not that the world was awaiting this news, but 30 hours later the Speedmaster remains unruffled by the slap. Wore it again today and keeping time with perfect satisfaction.

I think I recall in one of the James Bond books (not a movie), Bond wraps his Rolex around his fingers like brass knuckles, and punches someone. This, obviously, should be your next test…

I guess this is a kind of a 'here, hold my beer' activity. It usually turns out ok, but always room for a disaster to occur.

I guess this is a kind of a 'here, hold my beer' activity.
I think my last words in life will be, “Oh shit, that didn’t work” and I’ll probably be wearing a watch when it happens.

Did a similar stupid non thinking thing a month back when I accidentally whacked my new one week old SUN65J on a pantry door handle.
These door handles are an old nemosises ( new kitchen) having damaged my elbows and head on numerous occasions so I should have known to avoid them but was blindsided by a request by my 4 year old to grab some snack for her and in my rush to comply whacked the *hit out my watch, I am still not over the trauma I suspect PTSD.

IMG_20220723_233614.jpg

IMG_20220723_233644.jpg

It's that sickening feeling when you catch it on something when your walking or doing something and not wanting to look at it but wanting desperately to check it!