Forums Latest Members
  1. yyir Jul 26, 2017

Question,

Sometimes I activate the second hand on my speedy, no real reason, I just like it. Someone once commented it's not supposed to go round, unless you are timing something. However, sometimes I just feel like it.

So, is anyone else a rebel, like me, sailing close to the wind? Or are you a stickler for tradition? And would never do such a heinous thing!

I'm interested in seeing the spilt.

2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jul 26, 2017

How would the watch know if you're timing something or not?

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 26, 2017

My second hand is always moving......

I do start the chronograph a fair bit if that's what you mean. Jobs at work get charged in 15min increments so it comes in handy.

watchknut and blufinz52 like this.
  4. ras47 Jul 26, 2017

I time stuff constantly, just because I can. :)
    Constant use of the chrono uses more of the power reserve, necessitating more frequent winding, but it doesn't hurt the watch. Might even be good to use the second hand to loosen up the pushers a bit.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 26, 2017

This is a myth - running the chronograph does not use up more of the power reserve - the rate that energy is expended from the mainspring does not change when the chronograph is running compared to when it isn't running. Adding any complication to a running watch (running a chronograph, or any other intermittent load) adds friction to the watch that the spring has to overcome. The reason the watch stops sooner than without these added loads is due to the level of torque being supplied by the mainspring. When the torque from the spring can no longer overcome the loads, the watch stops. If you remove those loads, the watch will run again, so the actual power reserve is not affected.

You can demonstrate this easily by fully winding your chronograph, starting it, and letting it run until it stops. Once it stops, turn the chronograph off, and the watch will run again. Let it run down until it stops again, then add the total time the watch has run (chronograph on + chronograph off) and it will be the same amount of time as it would run if you wound it fully and let it run down without the chronograph being switched on.

Power reserve is a function of mainspring length and gearing - it's a fixed thing built into the design of the watch.

Cheers, Al

flw, sjg22, trackpad and 9 others like this.
  6. ras47 Jul 26, 2017

Fascinating! I've been told the opposite so often I believed it myself. And there I go, spreading the misinformation! I appreciate the correction. Always good to learn something! [emoji106]

trackpad likes this.