Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Ref. 3752.50 with tritium dial from 2001..?

1. sleszyk Sep 1, 2018

Hi,
    I'm considering getting my first Speedmaster and I have my mind set on the hesalite / sapphire sandwich.

I've come across a watch which is a 3752.50 ref but has a tritium dial and a rhodium-plated movement (presumably 1863)... I read that for a short period around 96/97 the first 3572.50s indeed had tritium dials but this one has the warranty card dated 2001... could it be it was in stock for 4 years before being sold, or is that a bit suspicious?

Also, even assuming the watch is genuine, would such unusual combination of circumstances affect its value (due to doubts potential buyers might have)?

I should add the warranty card is from an Asian dealer (Japan?) - does that increase the risk of the watch being counterfeit or not at all?

Should I go for it or stay away - any thoughts will be much appreciated!

2. drhombus24 Sep 1, 2018

Does it have a bracelet? If it’s a 1498/1499 bracelet, that would help solve some of the mystery. Regardless, I think you should post pics. Without them, we re mostly spitballing

dan7800 likes this.
  3. sleszyk Sep 3, 2018

Thanks for your reply. I don't know which bracelet it is but I have pulled a couple pictures of the watch:

moonwatch_1.jpg moonwatch_2.jpg

Now, in the meantime I shared my doubts with the seller and they've come back to me saying the watch was reserved for another customer.... so it looks like this is of theoretical interest at this point (personally I am still curious about it)

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 3, 2018

There is a brief window of tritium on that watch. If your dating by sold date it’s possible it sat at the dealer for a couple of years.

From the pictures I have no concerns

WatchVaultNYC and drhombus24 like this.
  5. drhombus24 Sep 3, 2018

Same. Bracelet looks correct.

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  6. sleszyk Sep 4, 2018

OK great, many thanks for taking a look

7. WatchVaultNYC Sep 4, 2018

Looks correct. You should not worry about the 2001 warranty card. Stuff like that happens all the time

Foo2rama likes this.
  8. sleszyk Sep 4, 2018

Interesting - thanks!