Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster reduced - waste of money or go for it ?

1. Au79 Aluminium Feb 15, 2019

Thanks for the corrections Archer. So much to learn... :thumbsdown:

2. REckroat Feb 15, 2019

OP - I would also listen keenly to @Archer . While there are definitely some well versed OF members who post great insights, after lurking around the OF for a couple years now, I have found Archer's posts to be some of the most helpful. Always based on practical, hands on experience and facts and patient with us newbies.

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 15, 2019

I’m not sure English is his first language. He also made this statement.

While it’s a correct sentence it seems to imply the El Premero in the Daytona is a module movement.

His statement about the 38mm being the successor seems to imply it’s a similar movement and a reduced it can be read the other way.

There is other bad info in that don’t get me wrong, it’s not a great article, just something I noticed.

4. WatchVaultNYC Feb 15, 2019

My watchmaker in San Diego services the DD module and does not charge extra for it. Maybe its a bit more time consuming, but hardly a deal breaker IMO if the issue is servicing.

I've found the 7750 Speedy Autos having far more issues than the Reduced when I get them, so anecdote about reliability (most of the time its the day corrector). I move several hundred Reduced and close to a hundred Speedy autos a year so its a reasonably sized statistic.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 15, 2019

I have no idea if there is a language barrier or not, but certainly not giving accurate information the way it reads to me...

KingCrouchy and Foo2rama like this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 15, 2019

Omega charges the same for this watch as they do for the 7750 based models. People often state that these are "more expensive" to service, and IMO that's not true. However what is absolutely true is that you will have far fewer servicing options with a reduced than you will with a 7750 based version. For some that may be a deal breaker, and for others not.

The 7750 and it's variants are some of the most robust and reliable movements out there, and in my opinion there's absolutely no doubt they have fewer problems than the modular movements do. You've mentioned the 1151/7751 day corrector a couple of times, and if it is the actual corrector that presses into the side of the case, that's not really a movement issue. I've seen correctors damaged by mishandling during service, but generally I've not found them to be a problem.

If it's the day corrector system in the movement, I've never had an issue with that system...

Cheers, Al

7. valkyrie_rider Feb 15, 2019

My 2cs.

If you really want the Pro, save a bit longer and get what you really desire.

If you wanna scratch the Omega itch on the cheap, I would rather go with a Mark 40. As mentioned, its caliber is based on the Valjoux 7750/7751 which is a reliable workhorse and relatively easy to find a watchmaker that will properly service it.

The Dubois-Depraz add-on chronograph module increases the cost-of-ownership of the watch in longer term.

Edited Feb 15, 2019
    8100_RPM likes this.
  8. dabbispade Feb 16, 2019

Thanks guys for the input, I guess I am gonna try the reduced as I feel it is more of my size after I tried both. But worsed case I will sell it :)

9. WatchVaultNYC Feb 16, 2019

I'm pretty sure you're 100% correct about that - ie. its the corrector not the movement. But from an owner's perspective, I know very few watchmakers who will do a "spot fix" i.e. "pls fix the corrector pusher but don't service the watch", so more often than not a fault in the pusher leads to a complete service of the watch

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 16, 2019

But the same would apply to a faulty chronograph pusher or faulty crown, and those are far more common issues than a faulty corrector. The correctors themselves are incredibly simple devices - the most common issue with them is damage during service in my experience, and even then problems with them are quite rare. I have a bunch here that I purchased that have sat in my stock for 5+ years...and I service a lot of these watches.

So if there are problems with the watches you are buying, and this is a common fault, I can only speculate that maybe the watches you are buying have not been looked after all that well, or have been serviced by people in the past who have not taken proper care when installing the movement in the case and pressing the case back on...that is typically when the corrector gets damaged.

Cheers, Al

11. WatchVaultNYC Feb 16, 2019

The corrector issue is usually that it does not spring back into place or does so very slowly, not "damaged" but more of a dirt and wear issue I imagine. I see this a lot more than stuck chrono pushers. Maybe I'm a bit more picky than most, but watches with issues like this I usually send back (fun statistic - I send back about 25% of watches that I buy in bulk for not passing my internal QC).

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 16, 2019

I see stuck chronograph pushers all the time, so clearly we are seeing very different things...

WatchVaultNYC likes this.
  13. flqt-9000 Feb 16, 2019

I think it is worth to wait and go for a real moonwatch!