Speedmaster Reduced Self Winding Function Question

Hello all,

I wanted to get others opinion (experience) regarding the self winding function of the Speedmaster Reduced Automatic. It has the 1141 Caliber and is 1995 model.

I have looked at a number of threads on the forum and only found one regarding the automatic feature which required repair. Others have said that the reduced can be a bit problematic due to the smaller size and stacked chronograph module.IMG_3273.JPG

My experience has been that I can wear it for a few days without manually winding and then it runs out of charge. I then have to rewind it and it runs normally for a few days of wearing and again it runs out. This is my only automatic that I have and really have nothing to compare it to for typical operation.

It was last serviced by Omega in 2018 and overall it runs and looks fine. They told me at the time that typically you have to wind an automatic after an extended period of rest (which I assumed was overnight) for peak performance. That would mean that an automatic would need winding on a daily basis.

I always assumed that continual wearing of an automatic would eliminate the need for daily winding under normal use and activity. Otherwise, what is the benefit of an automatic over a manual wind?

Is this typical or am I being too picky??

Thanks in advance.

After a full wind to get the power reserve topped it should run with normal daily activity without having to manually wind it anymore. Seems it's due for a service again to get the problem solved.

Thanks for the reply. I should mention that I did take it back to Omega twice for this issue and they even changed out the movement after the 2nd time. It's kind of been this way since I purchased it years ago before and after the servicing. That's kind of why I'm not sure if this is common or not.

The automatic winding does work since I can get the watch started without winding simply by moving it back and forth for about 30 cycles or so.

No it’s not right and it needs work you should get near 2 days reserve and indefinite use when it’s on the wrist. They change the movement every time they service these by the way. Sadly it sounds like it needs it again. I hate these with a passion because of the servicing handcuffs that come with ownership. Speedmaster Regret might be a more suitable name.

Like 1
Thanks for the feedback. A bit disappointing since I took it to the Omega service center twice for the same issue. I guess I should have been more insistent. Lesson learned.

Curious why the movement needs to be changed out for a service? Do they just exchange them for a reworked movement from the factory because they are too difficult to work on in the field?

Will I have difficulty finding a good independent watchmaker who can/will work on these, or is it better to send it back to Omega?

Thanks for the feedback. A bit disappointing since I took it to the Omega service center twice for the same issue. I guess I should have been more insistent. Lesson learned.

Curious why the movement needs to be changed out for a service? Do they just exchange them for a reworked movement from the factory because they are too difficult to work on in the field?

Will I have difficulty finding a good independent watchmaker who can/will work on these, or is it better to send it back to Omega?
They swap them because Omega don’t actually make or service the chrono module. Its a third party unit by Dubois Depraz.

Yes is it difficult to find an Indy who will work on these since parts are near impossible to source outside Omega or DD. Some will service just the 2890 timekeeping part (from memory, maybe it’s a different ETA Unit) and hope for the best with the rest, others will actually attempt to service all of it but god help them if they ping a part or need spares.

The best option really is to send it to omega and get a brand new movement. Not cheap I know but with these, when it comes to servicing, buy cheap, buy twice.
Edited:

If your watch stops with the chronograph in use, press the STOP button to disconnect the chronograph, and see what happens. The mechanism in the chronograph module is powered by the watch movement, and that consumes some of the power available to extend range.

Like 1
I purchased this one quite some time ago without understanding what servicing of this model entails. Makes me appreciate my Speedmaster Professional even more.

Like 1
In response to Canuck, the chronograph functions and timekeeping work fine. It's just that the automatic winding doesn't fully charge the mainspring and the watch needs to be wound every few days to stay running continuously even when I wear it all day. I don't typically use the chronograph with normal day to day use.

Thanks for the input.

Has it always been this way? It's possible that your physical activity just isn't sufficient to keep the watch wound.

Has it always been this way? It's possible that your physical activity just isn't sufficient to keep the watch wound.
Which is why I suggested trying wearing it on the other wrist

The watch has kind of always been this way, before and after the servicing. I stopped wearing it for a long while and recently started wearing it again. The thought did cross my mind that I don't give it enough motion during the day to keep it charged, which kind of prompted me to ask my original question.

I will try wearing it on my other wrist for a while to see if that makes a difference. It's certainly worth a try.

Thanks to all who replied.

No it’s not right and it needs work you should get near 2 days reserve and indefinite use when it’s on the wrist. They change the movement every time they service these by the way. Sadly it sounds like it needs it again. I hate these with a passion because of the servicing handcuffs that come with ownership. Speedmaster Regret might be a more suitable name.

Are our modern sedentary lifestyles really sufficient to keep the watch wound? I’ve always thought they still benefitted from a morning top-up.

Are our modern sedentary lifestyles really sufficient to keep the watch wound? I’ve always thought they still benefitted from a morning top-up.

I've only had two automatic watches stop on my wrist. One is Marathon GSAR ETA 2824 in dire need of service. The second was my SM300 which also needed servicing. I guess I also have a Glycine and two Fortis that are just broken and need repair. I don't call myself active but I'd imagine your life would have to be really, truly, and completely sedentary, non-ambulatory perhaps, to not be be able to keep an automatic watch running while wearing it unless it is broken or needs to be serviced.

Like 2