Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster reduced has problems

1. Vintage Lemania May 15, 2017

Hi, all, I just received the speedy reduced I posted about over the weekend and there are some unforeseen issues with the watch. Ive decided not to open a return on Ebay, since I'm sure it would be a massive pain anyway to do so.
    Here are the issues I've found:
    1. The chrono hand jumps occasionally as its going around the dial
    2. The pushers are sticky(sometimes require a bit of force to operate
    3. The chrono hand and the 30 min counter hand don't reset completely to zero

Now, while this is a bit disappointing since these issues weren't described in the listing, I was told by the seller that the last time he had it serviced was 4-6 years ago. Do these issues commonly happen when a speedy reduced needs to be serviced/the module needs to be fixed/replaced? With that said, I do like the watch, which makes this even more frustrating.

2. ras47 May 15, 2017

These are classic signs of the need for service. I recommend using Omega for service as they typically give you a two-year warranty with that service. You can save some money if you find an authorized independent watch service that can do the service, but the good ones are tough to find. Some forum members have had awesome experiences with independent repair services and can offer recommendations.

watch3s and R3D9 like this.
  3. Kmart May 15, 2017

I can't remember if it was your thread or not but it was mentioned in one of them that unserviced Speedy Reduced(s) tend to change hands on Ebay a lot because no one wants to pay for a service. Your watch needs one, and it's going to be pricey whether you send it to Omega or not. I'd budget around $600 if you decide to go that route -- or, if it doesn't seem worth it to you, take it up with the seller.

4. Vintage Lemania May 15, 2017

I saw that thread as well. Wasn't mine..but was informative. I wrote the seller asking if it had these issues while under his possession. He doesn't accept returns..so I was thinking that it would be a huge hassle if i tried to return it. What would you do in such a situation?

5. ras47 May 15, 2017

If it wasn't described in the listing you have a case for an eBay dispute. "Item Not As Described" is right in he eBay TOS. The question becomes, does the seller care about his reputation enough to step up? Is it worth it for you? Maybe ask him to split the cost of repair after you get an estimate.

R3D9 likes this.
  6. R3D9 May 15, 2017

I would absolutely return it and take this as a lesson to ask lots of questions of the seller before buying. Most sellers, even the ones who avoid proactively disclosing issues, will fess up once asked directly. Plus, if they do lie to you, you have a slam dunk case when you file a grievance with PayPal.

Good luck!

Davidt and ras47 like this.
  7. Vintage Lemania May 15, 2017

im assuming that for what i paid(1589.71) I could get a much better piece that what I received. Now that I'm looking at it..it also looks like there is a crack in the rim of the hesalite. Frustrating first foray into the speedy world..

IMG_1273.JPG
  8. R3D9 May 15, 2017

Yikes! How much did you pay? Did the seller disclose the crack? What did he state about the condition of the movement and/or how it was keeping time?

9. ras47 May 15, 2017

When I bought my first Speedmaster I used eBay for pricing info - strictly research - but I was determined that I'd buy on the forums from trusted sellers, even if it meant paying a little more. The peace of mind of dealing with a seller committed to his reputation and to the principles of good business practices cannot be overestimated. These sellers generally are willing to have conversations before finalizing a deal.

10. R3D9 May 15, 2017

You're not going to get better advice than this. Return the item and sit back and wait for one you want to pop up from a trusted seller.

Rometx likes this.
  11. ras47 May 15, 2017

Freakin' eBay, man. It's not what it used to be. I used to love that site but now I barely even look at it.

12. Vintage Lemania May 15, 2017

I wrote the seller as soon as I noticed these issues. Here is his response: Sorry - at work, just saw this. No - I cant say that I have noticed. I tried the chronograph a few days ago and did not notice anything unusual. Like I mentioned earlier, this watch was part of a larger wear rotation and did not see much wear time for a while and have definitelly not seen anything unusual... never dropped it, banged it or similar. Had it on the leather band for a while and recently put it back on the bracelet, but certainly have not noticed issues you note below.

Hope this helps.

Even if I do open a case with Ebay..doesnt seem like id get all that far. Should I just try and sell it myself? Doubt I could get even close to what I paid for it though if I did that. What a headache..

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 15, 2017

What's the link to the auction?

14. Vintage Lemania May 15, 2017

15. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer May 15, 2017

initiate the return. It does not even look like he posted recent pics. The one you posted looks really grungy with stuff around the bezel that I do not see in the listing.

You should have no problem returning this watch.

R3D9 likes this.
  16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 15, 2017

He knew the issues reading his description. Plus he has older poor photos that avoid showing a Chrono reset. Focus on the movement being broken and not resetting which requires an immediate and full service before use. Your not going to get anywhere with the crack that I can't see.

R3D9 likes this.
  17. Vintage Lemania May 15, 2017

I agree. Looks nothing like it did in the pics. The seller clearly sent me a worn out grungy speedy instead of a lightly used one(as it looked in the pics). Ive certainly learned a lesson. Thanks!

18. Vintage Lemania May 15, 2017

Ok. Still think I should initiate a return though, right? Thats what I'm heading towards.

Foo2rama likes this.
  19. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer May 15, 2017

do this...

20. Vintage Lemania May 15, 2017

Return it?