Forums Latest Members
  1. Roughneck6 Jan 5, 2012

I purchased a new Speedmaster Pro Moon Watch. It is outstanding and so far I have not worn my Seamaster since I placed this on my wrist. My question for those who know concerns the second hand. I like to keep it moving all day, thus activating the stop chronograph. Does this hurt the watch, cause long term damage or make the watch loose time during the day?
    I am not sure why but I like seeing the sweeping motion of the second hand. Thanks in advance of any information.

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 5, 2012

You will get differing opinions on this, but here's mine for what it's worth.

Engaging the chronograph will have /some/ slight impact on timekeeping, though probably not a huge one. My Seamaster Pro Chronograph with its Valjoux 7750 movement varies by a few seconds more a day with the chronograph engaged, which I'm guessing is because of some additional drag on the movement effecting the remarkably tight timing tolerances in the escapement, but I'm not a watchmaker. Its not a huge difference and not one I really notice much.

In terms of wear, there are more parts in motion, however as long as those parts are lubricated and you service the watch every 5 years or so as you should, I wouldn't give it a second thought. If you have a look at the sheer number of vintage Omega Speedmaster Professionals that are STILL in use from the 80s 70s and 60s, some with little to no servicing in their lifetimes, you get to appreciate that the Lemania based Omega Cal 861 and 1861 movements are among the toughest and most reliable chronographs on the market.

Its your watch, and its a very good watch, so don't be afraid to use it as you see fit!

3. Trev The Architect Staff Member Jan 5, 2012

I almost always leave it running on my chrono diver, simply to avoid anyone pointing out that my watch "has stopped". Having it running non-stop surprisingly makes no difference in day-to-day time keeping. Any deviation is not measurable in seconds, anyhow.

Welcome to ΩF

One more thing: "Pics or it didn't happen" ;)

4. ulackfocus Jan 5, 2012

I owned a Seamaster 145.006 321 chronograph - the same movement as the Speedmaster you have.

First, the timekeeping was different when running the chronograph continuously. I noticed it was slower by a few seconds a day.

Second, don't run it all the time. You could prematurely wear the coupling mechanism or teeth on the gears or some other parts. My watchmaker told me once but I forget which are most at risk. As mentioned by Ashley, if you keep up on the maintenance chances will be exponentially less of anything bad happening.

So, where are the pics? If you want to dance, you gotta pay the band!

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 5, 2012

Wasn't there a pretty big change from the Cal 321 to 861 though, I know it went from column wheel to cam and level for the actuation of the chronograph mechanism and the beat rate went up among other things, not sure how much it was revision and how much it was redesign.

6. ulackfocus Jan 6, 2012

The base movement stayed the same except for the changes you mentioned. I don't know why I thought this, but I answered as if the OP had a vintage pre-moon Speedy. Must have got this thread confused with another. :confused::oops: Anyhow, I did have a DeVille 861 and that wasn't as bad a difference in timekeeping between chrono on and chrono off but it still had a change.