Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster professional hand part number?

1. jroam82 Feb 26, 2017

I'm hoping the community can help me out.

I'm looking to get a replacement centre sweep seconds hand for my (2 year old) speedmaster pro in the hope that it's a bit straighter than the current one.

I *think* I can find the right one on both Ofrei and Cousins UK, but I don't know enough to be certain - and I'm in Australia so international shipping is involved.

Worse - I'm in Adelaide so ONE AD in a 450 mile radius - but would probably prefer to just call omega and order directly (and have heard it's easier to request a specific part).

Thanks.

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 26, 2017

Try watchco on ebay. They're in NZ and probably have sone kicking around.

Edit, aka abouttime-ch

Edited Feb 26, 2017
  3. jroam82 Feb 26, 2017

Thanks mate.

Couldn't find one though. A few full hand sets but trying to avoid that if possible.

Also, quite hefty postage too (NZ isn't Oz :) ) like $30USD on a bezel, etc.

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 26, 2017

5. jroam82 Feb 26, 2017

Haha yep.

That's the one I suspected on Ofrei.

At Cousins, it looks like this one: https://m.cousinsuk.com/sku/watch-parts/omega-hands/attribute-search/X8543J?_=1488157785509

found by movement 1861 and case 145.022. It says 15mm in the detailed description (which you have to be logged in for I think) whereas the Ofrei one says 14mm - and I have no idea what either of these measurements is referring to.

Ofrei is $60 odd shipping (?!) and Cousins is a more reasonable £10 odd or even as low as £3 if I forego tracking.

oddboy likes this.
  6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 26, 2017

That should do the trick...

Got a watch maker to put it on? :D

7. jroam82 Feb 26, 2017

I do actually.

They've already re-aligned the hour register (it was originally pointing very much to the right of the marker and hence to the right of the bottom of the sweep hand).

In doing that, we've realised that the sweep hand curves slightly to the left - so it's still a touch off centre - and to most people completely fine, but now I've seen it, I can't unsee it.

I dropped by the NYC boutique earlier this month, and they agreed with the verdict, but that it was in tolerance so nothing they could/would do and even if I got a new set of hands, there's no guarantee it wouldn't be similar. One other they had in stock looked similar but the other way, and two others looked amazingly perfect to my eye.

Thus begins my hunt to find a single hand that hopefully won't break the bank in case it all turns out to be a futile exercise.

8. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 26, 2017

Good luck mate. Post some before and after pics. This little detail could be of interest to some here. We're all a little OCD..

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 26, 2017

Unaligned hour register... is it staying fixed since they adjusted it?

That normally a sign of another issue.

10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 26, 2017

On a two year old speedy, I'd imagine it's a misaligned hand before suspecting chrono creep. Is that what you mean?

Foo2rama likes this.
  11. jroam82 Feb 26, 2017

Haha.

I've avoided pics because that's letting the outside world know how finicky I can be.

Here's the before:

IMG_20160527_103256.jpg

To Foo2rama, it's not creep. Reset to the same position every time, just not aligned well when initially applied.

My watchmaker actually aligned it to ever so slightly to the left of the mark now, so it meets (goes under) the chrono hand closer to the middle and is only a problem for me, because well, I'm me.

Foo2rama and oddboy like this.
  12. jroam82 Feb 26, 2017

I actually find it quite difficult to capture in photos, so the above photo is about as close to front on I've ever got.

The hour register hand is more vertical now.

What I'm talking about here is .... all aboard the crazy train .... if you extend the edges of the chrono hand down you can see it isn't centred about the pinion (?) of the hour register hand.

Maybe it curves? Maybe it's actually the tip coming out at slightly the wrong angle (and it's aligned perfectly at the top)? Who knows?

Point is we can't make everything align/centre as it seems it should - or at least can.

NOTE: I'm not saying this is AN issue, it's just MY issue. I love this watch and have worn it almost everyday for the year and a bit I've had it.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 27, 2017

Ordering by case number or caliber number is likely to get you the wrong hand. You really have to order by reference number. There are tons of hands for the 321/861/1861, and even a pile of different hands used for the 145022 case number, so using the reference number is the only way to know for sure you have the right hands.

Assuming jroam82's watch is 35705000, the correct seconds counter hand is part number 066PP3916. Length is 14.75 mm.

When installing this hand, some just look at the tip - I look at the luminous portion as it goes past the Omega logo, and make sure it's centered there first, and then look at the tip. Sometimes the tip is bent and if so I simply use F pattern tweezers (made for hand installation and handling) to straighten the tip back, and the hand is then centered all the way. This of course assumes the dial is on centered, which is actually the first step in proper hand setting, even though it doesn't involve the hands themselves. If the hand alignment is not making sense as your watchmaker tries to get everything lined, up, have him check the centering of the dial on the movement - all the posts need to be centered in their respective holes in the dial to get proper alignment of all the hands.

Cheers, Al

jroam82 and oddboy like this.
  14. jroam82 Feb 27, 2017

Great - now there's another thing I've got to obsess about :)

The hand looks well centred through the Omega logo and up through 12 o'clock - but the dial centring is certainly food for thought. I'll check with the watchmaker the next time I stop by. Also, I guess we'll see how much difficulty it will be sourcing the part and whether it's worth the hassle or just waiting a few years and seeing how it comes back from a service.

Thanks a lot for your reply Archer.

Given the discrepancy in the two online listings I found, I was pretty sure there would be a few variations - and so thank you for the specific part number.

Would it be the same for the 311.30.42.30.01.005 ? I have the oversized box version with the extra trinkets.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 28, 2017

Yes, the watch head is the same, just the bracelet and packaging changed.

Cheers, Al

jroam82 likes this.