Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster professional accuracy issues when not worn

1. watchyouseek Jun 21, 2019

Hi all, i would like to seek your opinion on a moonwatch that is worn sparingly maybe 1-2 times a week for a couple of hours. The watch is the latest reference purchased last year brand new.

I wind the watch on a daily basis and it is kept in the omega carry case, however i notice when its not worn for multiple days despite being wound, it runs faster.

However when the watch is worn on a daily basis, it tends to be more accurate and does not run as fast compared to unworn. Is this normal?

thank you for your opinions.

2. Duckie Jun 21, 2019

Sounds all normal to me.

3. Davidt Jun 21, 2019

The moral of this story is don't ever take off your Speedmaster!

I know little/nothing about watchmaking but I assume this is due to position variation in that watches gain/lose time at different rates depending on what position they are in. If you always leave it 'crown down' when not in use this may be a gaining position. When worn it is constantly changes positions and gains a better average rate across all of them.

Manny1979 and time flies like this.
  4. time flies Jun 21, 2019

Resting position and consistent daily winding play into things. Try charting the resting positions 20171219_125701.jpg
    have fun
    kfw

5. watchyouseek Jun 21, 2019

Thanks for the advise. i will give it a try to wear it more often.

6. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Jun 21, 2019

Interested to know how much it is gaining over 24hrs

7. Stephanos Jun 21, 2019

That sounds quite normal, depending on how much it's gaining really. Did you have a chance to measure it? There are several apps to help you do it (roughly obviously) - I used 'Toolwatch' recently.

8. watchyouseek Jun 21, 2019

i will give "toolwatch" a go and see the accuracy. thanks mate

9. JTridesbikes Feb 20, 2020

So I'm relatively new to automatic watches too and have found this to be so true. I loosing 2 seconds a day or so and occasionally 3 when I first got the watch in Sept. I would wind it up, wear it a bit less often and it was at that rhythm. Then I started wearing it every day and putting it in the travel case, crown side down at night, and it has maintained it's position at +0 for 5 days in a row now!!

So it seems one or two seconds on the 8500 is normal, but if you wear it a bit and crown rest, it really settles down!

10. JTridesbikes Feb 20, 2020

It just occurred to me that I posted a point about automatic 8500 in a speedy thread (manual winding).

Ok, now I'm really showing my "newb-ness"

11. profzhu Feb 21, 2020

My speedy professional runs about 10s fast a day, even after servicing shrugs. It's never really known for accuracy?

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 21, 2020

Just set it when you wear it. No need to wind it when you are not wearing it.

I wear mine most days but swap it for a diver if I’m getting too wet or banged around too much. I just let it run down and set and wind when I wear it.

13. Duckie Feb 21, 2020

Mine runs about +3s/day consistently on the wrist and it's all good.

PhilF likes this.
  14. PhilF Feb 24, 2020

Pretty much my experience as well, when worn (and warmed by body heat) my Speedmaster runs +3-+5sec/day, when it sits in the watch box at around 67f it tends to gain 7-8 seconds a day. This has me wondering if the timing accuracy is influenced by temperature? Although it's wound manually at about the same time each morning, I think consistency effects it's accuracy, wearing it provides some of that consistency. Hard to get an exact timing due the way you have to "back hack" to accurately set time. As much as I love my standard Hesalite Speedy, if the new METAS version isn't messed with as far as appearance, I'm going to be very tempted.

Jetpolar likes this.