Forums Latest Members
  1. black_cat Jun 3, 2019

Hello,

I've been gathering lots of information from this forum. Thank you all.

I've been looking to buy a vintage speedmaster to change up my normal Longines watches. My local 'junk' auction sells watches (sometimes fake, sometimes real) and has listed an omega professional for the sale this afternoon with a low estimate.

I was wondering whether anyone would mind having a quick look at the attached photo and letting me know if anything looks immediately 'off' to them. I'm afraid I don't have any better pics than the one they provided. I've struggled to find the same model, but it looks real to my very novice eyes.

I imagine I would need to pay for a service etc, but I've no interest in buying a fake, no matter how good!

Thanks very much in advance.

Felix

speedmaster.jpg
  2. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 3, 2019

Err no it isn't. There are plenty of Speedmasters marked 'Professional' that don't fit that criteria including the X-33 and SpeedyMoon (moon phase). At first glance that looks like a genuine manual wind moon phase and may in fact have a solid 18K bezel. Of course further checks are needed. That model features in Moonwatch Only so is certainly seen as part of the Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch family.

Edited Jun 3, 2019
  3. CJpickup57 Jun 3, 2019

Looks fine to me @black_cat based off of just one picture in bad lighting. Here is a bit of information on that particular watch: https://www.fratellowatches.com/speedy-tuesday-omega-speedmaster-professional-moonphase-3575-20/

If real, which I believe it is, it has all of the functions which you say it doesn’t (except the black dial of course) plus a moonphase. Give the article I linked above a read :thumbsup:.

4. black_cat Jun 3, 2019

Thanks very much everyone. Maybe I'll leave a lowish bid and if I get lucky great (and if it's a fake, I can chalk it up to experience!). If I get it, I'll post some better pics...

5. connieseamaster Jun 3, 2019

I'm sorry, but a manual wind moonphase sounds like the complication combo from hell

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 3, 2019

Easy to set - correctors for both date and moon phase.

7. black_cat Jun 4, 2019

In case you're interested, it looks like you were right that it was legit. It had an estimate of £100-200(!) and went for £1,900 plus auction fees of c.25%.

CJpickup57 likes this.
  8. CJpickup57 Jun 4, 2019

9. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 5, 2019

So ~£2,400 and when you add in the inevitable service fee ~£2,800 or more like £3k if you went to Omega so it doesn’t actually sound massively cheap. I have seen those change hands on forums elsewhere for less.

10. black_cat Jun 9, 2019

I guess someone has dropped off a bunch of Omegas because there's a whole load this week (I haven't seen many before). I don't suppose they will go cheaply, but they are all listed with low estimates (£1-200) so I might go and have a look tomorrow. A few look a bit unusual - I've attached some photos. Does the first one with the white dial ring any bells? Thanks again!

Omega 3.jpg Omega 2.jpg Omega 4.jpg
  11. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 9, 2019

None of those are particularly exciting. The Dynamic has already been discussed on here and has been declared a redial.