Forums Latest Members
  1. IAm_KY Dec 26, 2017

The Omega Speedmaster 38 Orbis in celebration of World Sight Day this year, supporting Orbis International! Since 2011, Omega has supported Orbis International and the Orbis Flying Eye Hospital’s amazing work of preventing avoidable blindness in developing countries. Every paediatric patient receives an Omega teddy bear after their Orbis surgery. This watch hits a very special spot in my heart. I’ve been a volunteer photographer with Orbis since 2008 and have been in the field to Nairobi, Da Nang, Hue, and just last month, to Yaoundé to witness and photograph the life changing work Orbis staff and volunteer medical faculty perform in some of the poorest countries around the world. A portion of all Speedmaster Orbis sales will be donated to Orbis International!

Speedmaster Orbis 1.jpg Speedmaster Orbis 2.jpg Speedmaster Orbis 3.jpg FEH.jpg

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 26, 2017

Thanks for what you do!!!

I just wish Omega would do more masculine Orbis watches. I’m surprised they used the feminine subdials and date window on this one and not the round subs with square date window.

Heck a square date window and I’d think about getting this.

IAm_KY likes this.
  3. IAm_KY Dec 27, 2017

I quite like the new Speedmaster 38 collection with oval subdials personally. I have small 6¾ " wrists so 38mm is a great size for me. Although I love the look of the Moon Watch with round subs, the oval subs and selection of coloured dials are fun and modern to me. The Speedmaster Orbis blue dial is gorgeous!

4. Supah Dec 27, 2017

Thanks for sharing, did not know about this one

5. BostonCanuck Dec 27, 2017

I really wanted to get the men's De Ville Presitge Orbis with its stunning lacquered blue dial. It's one of the few Prestige models that actually looks better on the standard Prestige bracelet rather than a leather strap. Unfortunately I could not get past its stark white date wheel, which I feel really mars the beauty of the dial. If Omega ever does away with that date wheel or makes it blue/black, I for sure will pick one up.

Omega also did a 41 mm Hour Vision with blue sun-brushed dial (without the white date wheel!) and black leather strap that Daniel Craig wore on occasion. An amazing piece (and one I would have bought if I didn't already have a silver-dialed Hour Vision). Recently, this watch has been updated to a master chronometer with a blue leather strap, and Omega appears to have dropped its Orbis designation for whatever reason.

There's also a gorgeous ladies 32.7 mm model with a white mother-of-pearl dial that I may yet acquire for my better half.

So Omega has done a great job on their Orbis dress watches, and all for a great cause. Here's a link to Omega's page on some these beauties:

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/watches/de-ville/prestige/orbis-collection/product/

Edited Dec 27, 2017
    IAm_KY likes this.
  6. Mtnmansa Dec 27, 2017

Thanks for you amazing work and putting your skills towards a great cause that needs more attention and exposure.
    Saw this watch in person and was quite surprised. The blue is stunning and the oval theme works surprisingly well.
    Would be perfect for a gift for the better half.

RRMagyar and IAm_KY like this.
  7. Riviera Paradise Dec 27, 2017

Thanks for your superb contribution:thumbsup:. As someone who has seen someone in my close family suffer daily with Stagardt's disease, I am acutely aware of the importance of supporting any research or charity work related to impaired vision.

As I posted on another thread, I recently changed the original black leather strap to the new blue one and loved the end result...mine is the original "Orbis" hour vision.
    20171207_105610.jpg

RRMagyar, BostonCanuck and IAm_KY like this.
  8. Lowflight Dec 27, 2017

Interesting.

9. BostonCanuck Dec 28, 2017

Gorgeous. I've noticed Omega has been getting into strap colors other than the standard black and browns. Lots of grays and blues in on their newest watches. For you, I would think that the blue strap makes for a much more flexible watch... one you can wear with a wider range of colors.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  10. RRMagyar Dec 28, 2017

Thanks for sharing the news about this new watch and your work. I have the DeVille Hour Vision Orbis — my first Omega — and it is still on the original black strap. I like the change up to blue as in the photo above. I also like the new 38 mm offering — the dial looks great!

IAm_KY likes this.
  11. IAm_KY Dec 28, 2017

Here's a photo of me in the Pre- and Post- Operative Care Room at the tail of the Flying Eye Hospital. Check out the Omega Constellation clock! There's another one in the Operating Theatre

FEH 2.jpg

BostonCanuck likes this.
  12. jetkins Dec 28, 2017

The watches and story are cool, but as a Nikonian I'm now fascinated by your camera! What's the gadget attached to the rear LCD of your...D500?

IAm_KY likes this.
  13. IAm_KY Dec 28, 2017

That’s my Nikon D850 with 24-70mm f/2.8 VR and Zacuto 2.5x Z-Finder. It’s an eye piece for the LCD to allow for easy manual focusing and stability when shooting video. Must have for dSLR cinematography!

14. jetkins Dec 28, 2017

Ah, that explains why it's unfamiliar - I only shoot stills. Thanks for explaining, and apologies for sidetracking the thread.

IAm_KY likes this.