Forums Latest Members
  1. Timob Nov 12, 2017

2. Speedmasterfan88 Nov 13, 2017

Hi! I think they both went for about marked value, given the condition.

The second one, whilst mybe looking more rough, had more correct parts and it's a CB case. The pushers on the first one were replaced, also no movement shot seems to stall these auctions at a certain point.

If you want to learn more about speedmasters, and compare the two EBay watches to what they should look like, check www.speedmaster101.com for more information ;).

Cheers,

Max

Dash1 likes this.
  3. mr_yossarian Nov 13, 2017

The first one was an "italian special". It was offered from a dealer here in Berlin and I contacted the seller. The case is HF, caseback CB, movement serial from a 145.012. He admitted that he bought this watch from Italy after I asessed it and frankly asked if he got this one from Italy, he even took it off from Chrono24 which I suggested to him. His Ebay ad though was not a full disclosure of the watch either.

Speedmasterfan88 likes this.
  4. MaiLollo Nov 13, 2017

Superficially it looked good, but if you go deeper, it was a minefield...

5. Speedmasterfan88 Nov 13, 2017

No wonder there was no movement shot, I didn't bother reading the discription at that point.
    Thanks for the info.
    Kind of shady by the seller.

MaiLollo and mr_yossarian like this.
  6. mr_yossarian Nov 13, 2017

Unfortunately he didn't follow my advice to honestly describe it.

joso, MaiLollo and Speedmasterfan88 like this.
  7. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Nov 13, 2017

As always it would be nice to have photos as well as links (Which expire long after this thread might be referenced).
    The first watch is not a 105.012 as has been pointed out above - but even on the photo you should have alarm bells ringing:
    1-s-l1600.jpg
    The new pushers are the wrong size for a 105.012 - so we know the watch has been worked - now we must dig.

Have a close look at the dial. It is good from far but far from good. It has a nice colour (though given the origin and other history illustrated above, is it natural?) but on inspection we see damage to the minute track and very even lume, even over where the dial is damaged, and so I think we have an undeclared re lume.

1-s-l1600-001.jpg

The case back is single step. So -66 (Possibly - we are not shown inside in the listing), but no evidence of facet lines on the lugs, and indeed (again pointed out above) the lugs are indicative of an HF case.

The movement number is way too high for a 105.012.

The watch should really scream at you that it is an assembly tarted up for sale by an unscrupulous person.

If you are in the hunt for a 321 speedmaster and you DO NOT see this after a little due dilligence, then your next purchase may be dodgy.

Please be careful - prices have pulled some real sh1t out of the swamps, both watches and people.

8. mr_yossarian Nov 13, 2017

All correct assumptions,I may add I had him send me closeups of the dial, movement (wrong serial, screw(ed) heads all over only a mother would love..if) caseback inside pictures ( a CB )...on the positive, he appreciated my offer to ask me next time before he buys a Speedmaster.

Andy K and Spacefruit like this.