Forums Latest Members
  1. bmronell Aug 7, 2016

I'm looking for some input on my 1968 Speedmaster. The movement serial number, dial, bezel, hands and case all seem correct for a reference ST145.012,(the 145.012 reference and year of production has been confirmed through an extract from the archives). However, the mystery is the case back, which shows ST 105 003.65. The case back seems correct for a 105 003.65 (stepped back and faded but still legible speedmaster logo), The case is clearly not from a reference 105.003 (it has crown guards). I have read that it was not unusually for reference numbers and serial number to not match years perfectly based on the parts available at the time of production. But to me, a three year gap in parts (a 1965 part used in 1968) seems a little wide and also the mismatch between the case and case back seems like an odd combination to come from the factory. The other possible explanation is a part swap but again it is a little odd that a part from an older watch made it into a newer watch particularly when it is a part that would have been very unlikely to be damaged. Any thoughts from the Speedmaster experts out there?

caseback.JPG dial.JPG movement.JPG back.JPG back2.JPG
  2. spin_transistor Aug 7, 2016

Nice looking watch. What is the serial number on the movement? I'm sure somebody will be willing to swap out the case back with you, if that's what you want to do.

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 7, 2016

There's a school of thought that says watchmakers used to be somewhat careless during servicing and could have swapped parts from different watches. Seems plausible in this case.

4. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Aug 7, 2016

Are pushers too high ?

5. bmronell Aug 7, 2016

Probably just be the angle I took the pictures from. When viewed straight on, pusher hight looks okay compared to other 145.012's examples I have seen.

6. Davidt Aug 8, 2016

The obvious answer is almost certainly the correct one here.

At some point after it left the factory the caseback was switched for a different one, due to a mix up at a service, damage etc.

Given that the value of a 105.003 is greater than a 145.012, you should be able to get at least a straight swap for the correct one of you wanted.

7. bmronell Aug 9, 2016

Thanks everyone for the input. At least I ended up with an older casebook rather than a newer one. I may look into a swap if I every consider selling it but for right now, I am happy to have it in my collection.

8. emilio Aug 10, 2016

I don't think the gap will be 3 years (65-68). My 105.003-65 is according to the extract also from '67. So if your 145012 is from '68 the gap is much smaller.

I think the watchmaker just used some old stock and would be ok with this caseback..