Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Movement 861 Bracelet Question

1. Shep Aug 30, 2015

Greetings to all,

When I started taking flying lessons in the 70's I purchased this Omega Moonwatch and I broke the bracelet and put it up and it has sat in my safe box until 2010 when I saw one for sale in Sam's Club and I said to myself.." hey, I have one of those ...somewhere!!"..

So, I found it and the only thing wrong with it..besides sending it to someone to clean it, is I am missing one end piece on the bracelet, and the 2 spring loaded pieces that hold the bracelet to the watch housing.

Ok, so I sent the watch to a reputable jeweler and he replied to me that the movement is 861 but the band was a mystery because there were no numbers on it., which was indeed unusual. He stated he called Omega and they told him that this was the original bracelet for the Moonwatch and he could not get a replacement.

So I am the noobie here I hope someone can help my feelings...

All I need is the one end piece and the spring loaded "things" to put the bracelet back to work. does anyone have any ideas on IF I could ever find that end piece?

Also, does anyone also have any input on why this bracelet didn't have any markings on it...like he said it was UNUSUAL...that it didn't.

I am going to have the movement cleaned, etc to get it back to working condition...well, it works fine know, but since it has been sitting in a box for 20, (actually longer than that) years I don't want to run it until it is cleaned.

Any thoughts on how I could get this original band back to work would be appreciated and if that is an impossibility then what bracelet would I need to order for this movement...

Thanks so much in advance..

Shep

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 30, 2015

Picture of the part needed, as so far I understand your after a ' Thing-a-me-jig'

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Aug 30, 2015

Pics will help. The springbars are not quite a dime a dozen, but fairly cheap. End links can also be bought, but not sure on price. Others will be able to help when you add some photos.

4. Shep Aug 30, 2015

I probably screwed up the upload of these photos so please feel free to beat me with a wet noodle...anyway I hope these photos come through without giving those viewing too much heartburn...

Thanks!

Moon Watch Bracelet Cartouche.JPG Omega Bracelet end Piece front.JPG
  5. Shep Aug 30, 2015

This is the only other marking stating that this is truly an Omega bracelet...so does anyone have an idea what year this may represent and how I can either replace it with an original bracelet or where I may can find a replacement end piece!!

Thanks much!!

Shep

Omega Bracelet end Piece Rear.JPG
  6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 30, 2015

Need better pics of the whole bracelet not just a closeup

7. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Aug 30, 2015

Going by the pic of the clasp, a pic of the watch itself could prove to be interesting.

orbistat likes this.
  8. orbistat Aug 30, 2015

I'll call it non genuine already without seeing further pics, the construction is arse about I reckon, being male where it should be female at the pivot pin. The letter Omega is the wrong font/shape for that era and would normally be within a triangle. The font on the word OMEGA is also non typical for it's era. disclaimer:This is just my street smart opinion and stand corrected if found wrong by the forum gurus.:thumbsup:

9. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 30, 2015

Pics of the watch would be interesting!

You posted a picture of the end link. Can you post a pic of the other side? There may be a number stamped onto the endlink itself that will give some clues.

While finding correct vintage ones may be hard and/or expensive, there are probably some more modern ones that will do the trick.

Shep likes this.
  10. Shep Aug 30, 2015

thanks for the replies...I hope the additional photos will be worth viewing.. Moon Watch Bracelet Whole.JPG

11. Shep Aug 30, 2015

A view of the backside... Rear of Watch.JPG

12. Shep Aug 30, 2015

Good call..I just look and on the underside was the number "47" but that was all...

thanks!

13. Shep Aug 30, 2015

Here is a photo of the end piece number... End Piece Number.JPG

14. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 30, 2015

15. Shep Aug 30, 2015

thanks for taking the time to reply...

I followed both links and I must admit..My eyes glazed over in a very short time...when you say a few $$$....what does that mean in USD?

So...In this thread can anyone tell me what this watch will be worth IF I can find a 47 and please give me some ideas on how to FIND another 47 and the spring posts that connect the bracelet to the watch...Keep in mind I have no reason to sell it...unless my nephew ...well never mind...I do plan on keeping it and wearing it...maybe!

So, in summary......if I could find a 47 end piece...any idea of what cost and where to find one? Also....'Probably" scares me in the fact that if I order it and it doesn't fit then where am I then and how much $$ for a 633?

As you guys can tell I only know flying and electronics and no idea of the great hobby/business you guys are involved with..I just would like to have my Moon Watch back as it was when I purchased it...if it is possible....thanks !!!

16. Shep Aug 30, 2015

I did message ofrei...that name sounds familiar..was he in the Atlanta area before? It seems to me that I had to send this watch to someone there not too long after I purchased it because the stop watch movement stopped working and it took me about 4 months to get it back and If I remember correctly he was working out of his apartment.......could be wrong...that was a LONG time ago!!!

17. Davidt Aug 31, 2015

A simple Google search for Omega 47 endlink turns up a lot of info.

18. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 31, 2015

The 633s are $66 for a pair. #47, you'd probably be hard pressed to find one unless you spend the time to get to know the lay of the land for vintage watches and parts and spend some time hunting.

Best of luck!

19. wsfarrell Aug 31, 2015

Here'sPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network a bracelet on eBay with 47 end pieces. No telling how high it will go---a "completed listings" search shows nothing.

20. Shep Aug 31, 2015

Thanks and I will go forward on the 633's..If they don't work I won't be out enough to fret over...Maybe I need to put my only #47 on EBAY...LOL!!

Thanks all for the responses and if anyone has an incline I would be interested in what this watch would be worth. I'm 66 years old and may need to decide to wear it or put back after it is cleaned and the bracelet is back intact for a hand me down to my nephew and to get insured via my homeowners, etc....

Again, this group has been great in my quest to resurrect my flying partner, so many years ago..

Winds.......Shep