Forums Latest Members
  1. LouisaMay Sep 28, 2015

Hi there!

Not only am I new to this forum – I am new to the entire world of watches! Still, I’m so hoping that you experts can help! It’s my husband’s 30th birthday in 4 weeks and the only watch I’ve ever heard him sigh about is the Moonwatch Pro. I cannot afford to buy him a brand new one but was hoping to get him a wonderful, mint condition watch of his very own.

What I’d love your advice on (and I realize it all comes down to personal taste) is how vintage I should go? 70s? 90s? 2000s? Jack really likes clean, simple, not too bulky – but the story is so important for these watches. I cannot spend more than 3,000 US and would love to spend no more than 2,500 but that may not be possible.

I’m currently looking at a 1974 Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch st 145.022 for approx. $2,700 and a 2008 st 3570.50 for the same price. I’ve read that the 1970s editions are pretty special, but again that could be all personal opinion.

Do any of you have any advice for a watch for a man who doesn’t have a special one yet – what is the most important thing I should be looking for (beyond making sure papers come with the watch and I buy from a trusted seller!)?

I so appreciate this! Thank you.

Lou

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 28, 2015

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 28, 2015

I'd actually get the modern one just because its likely to be in better condition internally, has a sturdier bracelet for daily wear and '74 isn't really that special. The newer one will look better and for all intents and purposes *be* better, especially as the '74 will almost certainly need a service on top of its asking price, likely with some parts replacement.

Last thing you want is to buy the '74, have it stop on him and face a ~1K+ bill for a full overhaul with parts.

4. LouisaMay Sep 28, 2015

Wonderful advice, thank you dsio!!!

5. LouisaMay Sep 28, 2015

6. watchcollect Sep 28, 2015

I encourage you to look at the sales section here and see what is available and reach out to George user name Kringkily. Solid seller on the forum.

7. LouisaMay Sep 28, 2015

I will - thank you for the advice

8. map782 Sep 29, 2015

x2 for Kringkily. I just bought a Speedmaster Pro from him and couldn't be happier.

9. Ma1352 Sep 29, 2015

Checking sales section here is a good recommendation, I would also recommend what I think might be another alternative. Since the occasion is a birthday, there are places which might have special financing promotions or other promotions for that matter (zero interest for so many months) and therefore this way they will afford you to buy a brand new instead of a used watch. I personally would shop around (if special financing will help you to spread your payments over a few months with no interest and if it will not burden you much). Also, if paying in cash, some places might be able to offer you a better deal as apposed to non-cash (I'm talking new watch here because the occasion is a birthday). If you will talk to an authorized dealer, ask them if they have special financing with no interest rate, you never know.
    Best of luck

10. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Sep 29, 2015

+3 for @Kringkily. Outstanding seller, fair prices. I have bought many from him.

11. abrod520 Sep 29, 2015

+4 for Krinkily of course. Very good seller. You may also try WatchRecon if you're feeling adventurous! But be sure to do your homework - while the vast majority of people out there are honest (though sometimes misguided on their asking prices ;) ) you should still take care to make sure you're not getting into trouble.

12. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 29, 2015

If you go the used route, and don't go with a well known seller (+5 for kringkily!), then be sure to post watches you're considering here before you buy.

Best of luck, and a very nice present!

13. LouisaMay Sep 29, 2015

You guys are all wonderful! When I do this, I will definitely buy from George! Thank you so much for all of your advice.