Forums Latest Auctions Members
  1. c5driver

c5driver Sep 13, 2019 11:13am

For the last couple years, I've been on the hunt for my grail Speedy and it seems that as of the last few months, the market has significantly slowed down in terms of both quantity and quality. I missed out on a nice 220 bezel about a year ago, when I couldn't decide between that and a very nice condition stepped dial '71 and now it seems there's not all that much to choose from. I'm considering a '68 321, but the bezel is a bit rough.

Has anyone noticed this as well?

2. WatchTimes

WatchTimes Sep 13, 2019 11:19am

The market is fluctuating I think a lot of people are holding the quality pieces while selling some overflow in their collections

c5driver, 1965Speedie and TwinPeaks like this.
  3. Davidt

Davidt Sep 13, 2019 11:58am

It's the end of summer. The market is often slow This time of year. It'll pick up

M'Bob, c5driver and Mossback like this.
  4. KingCrouchy

KingCrouchy Sep 13, 2019 12:14pm

It's normal, wait a few months and it will grow again after the summer

c5driver likes this.
  5. saulgoodman

saulgoodman Sep 13, 2019 12:30pm

I'm not an expert by any means, so this is an observation based on much reading and taking in what has been happening in the watch world over the past few years. It is no secret that there has been a real surge in vintage watches and pre-owned watches. Just over two years ago I was offered a very nice '69 Speedmaster for $3000. Around the same time I had the opportunity to buy a pre-owned steel submariner for $5000. I turned both watches down thinking the prices were a bit much. What a dope! Since then, we have witnesses Rolex dry up the supply of stainless steel models leading to a frenzy in aftermarket sales. When Daytona's, GMT Masters, and Submariners went through the roof or became unavailable, people turned to the Explorer, and the Explorer II. Then the vintage Speedys began to go up in price and many of them have been snatched up by collectors and those who hope to cash in later. Even the prices of the newer Speedmasters has crept up. It is a rippling effect. When people can't get one thing, they move on to the next best thing. Before you know it, the entire watch industry is wondering what is going on? This is a combination of buy fever, and people "investing" in watches they believe will hold their value. I wish them all luck!

joeshoup, c5driver and Mossback like this.
  6. kingsrider

kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Sep 13, 2019 1:01pm

gemini4 and c5driver like this.
  7. c5driver

c5driver Sep 13, 2019 1:34pm

8. kingsrider

kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Sep 13, 2019 1:39pm

I found a nice DON bezel some time ago. Right now the watch is sporting a telemeter bezel.
    2019-01-25 001.JPG

9. c5driver

c5driver Sep 13, 2019 1:55pm

Amazing dial!