Forums Latest Members
  1. adrianjt Aug 30, 2019

Hi there, first time poster, part-time lurker since I started researching 1970s Speedmasters, in particular the 4 and 4.5. Wonder if anyone can help?

I have found the best Speedmaster 4.5 I can, with a case that has had no metal removed, the original bracelet with 1970s stampings on the clasp and a spare service replacement, no rust or goop between the "cassette" and outer case... one that's obviously been looked after over the years. Watch looks great and keeps better than expected time; perhaps -5 seconds/day. However the crown occasionally skips a tooth when it's handwound, and the power reserve isn't great at 32-35 hours.

A few people have said that the plastic parts for its 5100 movement are scarce; obviously this is one reason I could find a good 4.5 affordably. Servicing the movement, which I'm going to have done anyway, is expensive. I understand it is an obsolete movement, but does anyone have a view on the possibilities of 3D printing? Seems like reproducing the plastic parts in a suitable material (in particular the calendar supporting parts) are perfect for this capability.

Comments welcome...!

Etp095 likes this.
  2. Etp095 Aug 31, 2019

Omega charges $750 to service a movement, that’s the avenue I took. The watches I had done by them didn’t have any sentimental value, so I let Omega do the service.