Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster FOIS second hand rebound

1. many Apr 10, 2019

I have a Speedmaster FOIS and sometimes when I reset the timer the second will go past zero then rebound back to the zero position.

In other words, I depress the 2 o'clock pusher to start the timer. I wait. I depress the 2 o'clock pusher to stop the timer. I then press then 4 o'clock pusher to perform a reset. I expect the second hand to snap directly back to zero or to the 12 o'clock position.

Sometimes what happens is that the second hand will go past zero to the '54 or '55 hash mark then rebound to zero. Is this normal?

2. starcraft Apr 10, 2019

is it microscopically going past 0 and bouncing back, or noticeably going back? some people here are quite unrealistic about certain things (I'm not suggesting you are many).

many likes this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 11, 2019

@many

Based on your description, there's nothing wrong with your watch, so please ignore the advice to take it back until you read this at least.

Having the hand go past the "zero" point on reset, then bouncing back to align at zero is perfectly normal. I'm not certain what it is you are seeing, but based on your description your watch is just fine.

This bouncing back is due to the shape of the cams that are on the various wheels - shaped somewhat like a heart. The hammer acts on these and depending on how far away the hand is from zero, it will often overshoot before coming back to rest. Most of the time this happens so quickly you can't see it, but here I've taken a video of a Speedmaster I just finished using the slow motion feature on my phone, and edited a little slower still...

So if this is what your watch is doing, then ignore the advice given to take the watch back - it's perfectly normal.

Cheers, Al

AveConscientia, many and Lonestar like this.
  4. many Apr 11, 2019

Thanks, everyone for the input I really appreciate it.

@Archer thanks for the video that's exactly what I am seeing.

5. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Apr 11, 2019

::facepalm1::

6. LeonDeBayonne Apr 11, 2019

Just for my information @Archer, the second hand is resetting to zero clockwise?

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 11, 2019

Yes in this case it is. It depends how far around the hand is if it sets CW or CCW.

many and LeonDeBayonne like this.
  8. LeonDeBayonne Apr 11, 2019

Yes, indeed. I'm sorry, I must be tired. ::facepalm1::

9. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Apr 11, 2019

Al, I notice in your video that the minute counter hand bounces to the one minute mark and back to zero when the chrono is reset.
    I'm pretty sure none of my speedmasters do that. Is that normal too?

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 11, 2019

I think if you check yours using slow motion, you will find otherwise...:)

many likes this.
  11. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Apr 11, 2019

Think I misunderstood the issue looking at the video. S'cuse me, carry on etc