Forums Latest Members
  1. Herculest Mar 7, 2019

Hi, I am a newby here, trying to gain some useful knowlegde / insights before buying a vintage Omega Speedmaster. I am currently looking ast what looks like a Speedmaster 105.003 Ed White. It is a 1965 model with a serial number that seems correct but quite late in the series (25.4M). I was wondering if this odd numbering should raise a red flag or is this common for these series? I included some pics of the watch. Any thougths / pieces of advice from more experienced Omega collectors on this are much appreciated. Cheers.

CD00F304-9166-4EF5-8942-9B8FC87010EC.jpeg E27B903C-F94A-4A80-A4B0-95C2B0E2C1E1.jpeg
  2. ewand Mar 7, 2019

hi - welcome to OF. I'd say if you haven't done so already, get over to http://www.speedmaster101.com and learn all about the reference there.

The serial number is fine - in the middle of the range for a 105.003-65, but I would want to see some better photos of the watch before committing any money. The straight-ahead shot looks really pale - has the lume all gone, or is that just the photo (I suspect a bit of both).

Are the hands replacements? The bezel isn't original. The crown looks like a 32-tooth "B2" crown which might have been fitted in a service previously. I don't think those are genuine Omega end-links on the bracelet either, and it's not the "correct" bracelet for an Ed White either (as far as I can tell). Oh, and it needs a service.

3. jimmyd13 Mar 7, 2019

There's an awful lot of replacement parts on the watch. There'll be little change out of £7000 to put it to right with the correct bracelet.

connieseamaster likes this.
  4. Herculest Mar 7, 2019

Many thanks. I had checked the 101 site, but still wasn’t sure. Thanks for your view on the bezel, I had doubts there as well. The crown is a replacement I learned. I will give it some thoughts.

5. Herculest Mar 7, 2019

Thanks and appreciated. I noticed it too, bit scared about how much this is gonna cost to get it back in good condition again.

6. jimmyd13 Mar 7, 2019

You have to be brutal with pricing a watch like this. Even if being brutal means you walk away. What's a good Ed White going for now? £12,000?

Start with the figure you're comfortable with.

Deduct £2500 for a bezel
    Deduct £500 for a crown
    Deduct £2200 for a bracelet
    Deduct £400 for the dial work
    Deduct (maybe?) £500 for a full service.
    Are we happy with the hands? Replacements - £1000? Rework what you have for a few hundreds.

connieseamaster likes this.
  7. Herculest Mar 7, 2019

That makes sense. I should also factor in some work on the case. Has some rust on it (hope nothing in the dial work), but I don’t want it polished beyond recongition. What would be a good estimate for that work? Hands are original but need rework.

8. jimmyd13 Mar 7, 2019

It's stainless steel - there's no rust. Don't polish the case at all. You want an original Ed White, not a polished used-to-be. What's listed above is the cost of returning it to original. If you want a perfect Ed White, then leave this watch alone and increase your budget. They come up on the FS section here once every blue moon.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 7, 2019

I’ve seen a lot of SS cases that are corroded, so I would not discount the concerns regarding case condition completely...

padders likes this.
  10. airansun In the shuffling madness Mar 7, 2019

Service pushers on it too.