Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster: Did You Choose Wisely?

1. ras47 Apr 27, 2017

This applies mostly to the Speedy you wear daily. There are so many choices available a noob (like me) had a hard time picking a starting point. Ice of basic style was easy for me - I went classic black face. But what about the size?

39.7mm Reduced?
    40mm Original?
    42mm Professional?
    44.25mm Moonwatch Chrono?

I settled on the new larger size 44.25mm, but only after trying one on at an OB. I have always had a penchant for more substantial watches and I have fairly beefy wrists. The 42mm would also have suited me but I wanted an automatic movement. That's what finally tipped the scales in favor of the bigger size. That, and the insanely great deal I got on it.

So folks, what's your story? Did you pick the perfect size for your personal taste? Are you looking to make a move to a different size? Something in between?

2. Sculler22 Apr 27, 2017

I'm waiting to try on first 3 of above, and then start to narrow the choice once I have decided on the best size for me.

ras47 likes this.
  3. ras47 Apr 27, 2017

Smart. You definitely should try in several styles before making your first Speedmaster purchase. Pictures can be deceiving as far as overall size. And what looks good to you is all that matters.

WatchVaultNYC and Sculler22 like this.
  4. abrod520 Apr 27, 2017

First Speedmaster I bought was a beautiful 105.003, picked up just before they spiked over $10k. I love it, and I think if I were to sell it (not very likely) I would probably double my money. Definitely chose wisely.

5. Perseus Apr 27, 2017

I went with a 3573. I like the size, and because it's a regularly worn I choose sapphire and as a big plus I get to see one the best looking movements out there every time I wear it.

I had a panda dial installed so I'll probably pick up another Speedmaster this year and selling a watch or two.

4-25-17.jpg

6. ras47 Apr 27, 2017

LOVE those Panda dials! White hands on black dials makes legibility ideal. The contrast with the white face is stunning.

Perseus likes this.
  7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 27, 2017

My first was a speedmaster date "Yeman" at 40mm. I feel it's a bit small for me and I wear some other 35-36mm watches no problem. It's proportions at least for me are a little off. My second was a 145.022-76 which I love.

I rotate between 3 42mm watches a 45.5 and a few 35-36mm. My 40mm gets more wrist time on Foogirl. :(

ras47 likes this.
  8. ras47 Apr 27, 2017

That's quite the rotation you've got going on there! My rotation is one Speedmaster and one Rolex GMT2. I like to keep it simple.

Mad Dog and Foo2rama like this.
  9. simon.pearl Apr 27, 2017

I've had the original man on the moon, first Speedy and the reduced, the man on the moon at 40 is the best one for me. The reduced is just a touch to small, I'd wear occasionally but spent most of its life in the safe, the full sized I wore far more, still trying to remember why I flipped it and what for!!

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 27, 2017

Yes...for me certainly...

[​IMG]

11. jimmyd13 Apr 27, 2017

12. Vulffi Apr 27, 2017

I got my first Speedy 30 years after I bought my first hand wound chrono (even Vintage back then), so no other choice than look for something older and original (hand wound & Hesalite) :). I like to see the movement and by luck I found a Speedy from the first steel series with a glass case back.
    P3020984.JPG

P3020969.JPG

Hans the Wolf, ras47, KLB and 2 others like this.
  13. sensui Apr 27, 2017

Wisely is a subjective term.......my wife would definitely think it was foolish to dabble in a Speedmaster when I first bought my moonwatch a year back with the big box......and then......came another...then another....and another.....They are amazing watches with a great heritage. There are so many well executed hits throughout the years from Omega for Speedies that keeps them fun and relevant.

14. japester79 Apr 27, 2017

Speedy pro for me! 1493324505113.jpeg

15. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Apr 27, 2017

Yup, I chose wisely...and again...and again...and again...and....

Mad Dog, ras47 and japester79 like this.
  16. Jaacck Apr 27, 2017

I went for a speedy pro with hesalite. Couldn't imagine going for anything else

Mad Dog and noelekal like this.
  17. arcadelt Apr 28, 2017

I felt the need to have a Speedy in my collection very early on in my collecting "career" after reading about them 17 years ago on the original websites run by Chuck Maddox and Robert-Jan Broer. For me there was no choice (possibly because there actually was no choice) but to get the classic 42mm Speedmaster Professional, so I eventually picked up a lightly used late-90s 3570.50 on eBay in 2001.

IMG_9259 copy.jpg

At the time I had two other watches, a Rolex Oyster Perpetual Date and a Breitling Premier re-edition. The Speedy was huge and looked all out of proportion on my wrist. I was so very used to these two mid-sized watches, that at first I wondered what I had done. However, in time, the size stuck and my collection slowly started moving upwards in size, with the height of ridiculousness coming when some years later I traded both of those tiny watches on a 44mm Panerai Luminor. Thankfully, I have come to my senses a little, and am moving my collection size back down to 38 to 42mm watches (although there are some awfully tempting biggies out there trying to drag me back up).

In 2011 the 3570.50 was joined by a 3569.31...

IMG_5925.jpg

...and last year I got the hankering for a 3570.40.

IMG_9439.JPG

In a month or two I hope to add a 60th Anniversary edition.

IMG_2159.JPG

Did I choose wisely? As much as I like these watches, especially my first, I wish I had spent a little more time in 2000 understanding their lineage and had bought a 1964 105.003 or 105.012. In truth I have no interest in becoming a collector of vintage watches, because frankly it is hard work and too fraught with pitfalls - but I would have loved to pick up a birth-year Speedy way back then when the prices were more palatable. Now that I realise that, those watches are priced beyond my comfort level, and because I am not in the watch powerhouse markets of Europe and North America, the chances of snagging a relative bargain are pretty slim. However, never say never, as my value perceptions have changed markedly over time and continue to do so. In the meantime I continue to enjoy the Speedies I own.

Edited Apr 28, 2017
    be.norm, sensui, Nitzbar and 19 others like this.
  18. speedybob Apr 28, 2017

I did choose wisely...I hope:D

I bought my Speedy Pro with the intention of wearing it everyday. I want it to be my everyday watch, one that I wear every day... I don't want a watch that is too big on my wrist, that will look strange on me, because Speedmaster Pro is 42mm and I have a small wrist of 6.25" wrist. So, even though it's like love at first sight with the Speedy, I try it first before my purchase. If it doesn't fit me, if it looks too big on my wrist then I won't buy it. Fortunately it fits me fine and it doesn't look too big on my wrist.

When choosing between sapphire or hesalite, I also put into my consideration how I'm going to wear the watch and my own personality. Since I want to wear it everyday, I want the crystal to be scratch resistant. Since I'm the kind of guy that put a screen protector on his iPhone screen and put the phone in an Otterbox case so his phone won't get scratches... I know very well that a scratch, even a tiny one, on the crystal of the Speedy would drive me crazy. For that reason I picked sapphire over hesalite.

Scratches on the bracelet ...btw I didn't know that the bracelet gets scratches really easy...they upset me for a while but I got over it... a day later.
    I have several scratches on the bracelet clasp already. I wish they weren't there ...but I think I can polish it and remove the scratches myself if needs to.

So, yes I choose wisely.. well even if I did not, I'd like to think that I have chosen wisely. :D

19. dnuggett Apr 28, 2017

In my mind there is only 1 Speedmaster that I want to own, vintage, used or new. The Moonwatch.

Chose that, and you choose wisely.

jB1128, noelekal, ras47 and 1 other person like this.
  20. palmettoman Apr 30, 2017

Professional w/ Hesalite. Love it.