Forums Latest Members
  1. 17SGS Aug 12, 2019

Hello all - this is my first post. I am new to the watch collecting scene and wanting to get started with my first nice timepiece. I have found MANY things that I want, and am trying to get the best value for my starting budget ($2k - $3k). A local jewelry store recently lost their status as an AD for Omega and have placed all their new Omegas on sale at 35% off retail. The selection is pretty good, but one that catches my eye is a Speedmaster Date (I believe its a 3210.50.00). It is marked at $2275 which seems to be about the going rate for a used version on many of the usual sites.

I've read many good reviews of the watch, and a few that say to 'get the Pro' which seems to be a mantra for purists. But I plan to buy what I like, so not terribly worried about those types of opinions. I am more interested in whether its a quality piece at a reasonable price. Looking for feedback from owners on this one.

P.S. They have a new Moonwatch for $3400 and I'd be all over that, but I want the sapphire crystal (this one is hesalite).

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Ryguy008 likes this.
  2. Ryguy008 Aug 13, 2019

Seems to me you’ve made up your mind already! However as someone who was once in your shoes let me run some points by you for reference.

I had a Speedmaster “reduced” and loved it. However, I eventually “drank the koolaid” and caved; buying a Moonwatch and never looking back.

From a watch owners perspective there’s something about winding that watch every day that gets me.. The reduced never had that same feeling. Something that really got me going every morning.

Further more I believe the date (like the reduced) has 19mm lugs instead of 20 mm lugs. This doesn’t seem like a big difference, but it allows you to change straps across many more watches (for example my Seiko monster has 20mm lugs so nato straps are cross compatible).

Long story short; if I could go back and do it all again I would have saved myself the trouble and gone straight to the Professional. In fact; I would have stocked away more money and bought something cool like a 220 misprint, or if I was lucky a DIN bezel..

However I don’t want to take away from how amazing the reduced was! Never gave me trouble and always kept ticking. I just eventually wanted more and should have realized that in the first place!

Happy hunting :)

17SGS and Dan S like this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 13, 2019

How big is your wrist? I own a date and rarely wear it, as it feels small. I wear my pro 99% of the time.

Pros it’s a eta 7750 based movement. So easy to service. It’s an automatic. Lots of watch for the money.

Cons wears small, 19mm straps...

There is a 3,6,9 subdial version in grey available from a good seller on the forum and I can find it for you.

4. CJpickup57 Aug 13, 2019

Welcome to the forum @17SGS.

I have what is called a Speedmaster "triple date" and also the Professional version. My triple date is a reference 3521.80.00 that is also an auto and is from about 1993. I agree with @Foo2rama that it wears small. It is very close in overall size as the 3210.50.00 and has the same 19mm lug width. My wrist size is aprox 6.5in. It was my first Omega and I most likely will be keeping it for myself or to give to my first son when he gets older. Here are a few wrist shots to give you a size idea.

IMG_2679.jpeg

The Professional I own is the Speedy Tuesday 1. It is the same case size as a normal Professional. Here are two wrist shots of my ST1 to show you the comparison of size.

IMG_2429.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

I am in no way trying to shape your opinion or tell you what to buy. Please buy what you like and what you will enjoy. Only posting to help you with research. The 3210.50.00 sounds like it is at a very good price for a brand new piece with an Omega warranty and as Foo2rama said it is an easy movement to upkeep in the long haul if you plan on keeping it a while.

Good luck with whatever you choose and I hope you join the Omega family with a piece you love.

5. 17SGS Aug 13, 2019

My wrist is 6.75" (so a little on the small side). Didn't think about the strap size, but good point. I would be interested in seeing the grey model if you can connect me. Thanks for the input.

6. 17SGS Aug 13, 2019

Thanks for the info and photos. Great looking watches! Sounds like our wrists are in the same range, so curious if you feel the Date is small or if the Pro feels too large, or if it doesn't matter. When I tried them both, I thought both sizes where wearable.

7. CJpickup57 Aug 13, 2019

Both are very wearable! I like wearing my Date in my daily rotation. The ST1 comes out only when I know I am not getting into anything crazy during the day or for an occasion.

17SGS likes this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 14, 2019

17SGS likes this.