Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Dark Side of The Moon (311.92.44.51.01.004)

1. bgkbck Apr 24, 2017

Hi all. First time poster that recently purchased a Speedmaster Dark Side of The Moon and after around 8 wears I noticed the pusher button on the bottom, below the crown, was gone forever!

Watch didn't impact anything and I'm very careful with my watches and normally only wear them to work or out on dates so I was surprised to look down for a time check and see that the pusher button had come off.

Anyone have a similar experience???

Crazy when you consider I've been daily wearing my Seamaster Professional Chrono 2599.80 for 15 years and haven't had any issues with that TANK but after wearing the ceramic omega a handful of times the damn pusher button falls off.

Cheers
    Bronson

2. ras47 Apr 24, 2017

That's very strange, but occasionally a defect slips through to the public. You should have a valid warranty and Omega should be able to fix this for you rather quickly.

3. bgkbck Apr 24, 2017

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Speaking of repairs, I just got off the phone with Omega and they are sending me a box for repair. Said the turnaround time would be 4-6 weeks.

4. ras47 Apr 24, 2017

Might be faster if you took it to an Omega Boutique but that assumes you have one close by. Time to bust out the old one while your new hotness is in the shop.

5. bgkbck Apr 24, 2017

I thought the same thing too but wouldn't a local boutique just package it up and send it off to the regional service center?

I know right? I wanted to wear it this weekend and with that pusher button missing it would be like wearing just one shoe.

6. ras47 Apr 24, 2017

Some of these boutiques can do minor repairs in-house. Not the big stuff like full diagnostics you get at a service center but some smaller jobs.

7. bgkbck Apr 24, 2017

Didn't even think of that. Thanks for the tip!
    Cheers

8. Meme-Dweller Apr 24, 2017

The case back of the DSOTM is different and the local OB may not have the tools to even open the case back

ras47 likes this.
  9. ras47 Apr 24, 2017

Ah yes. It's new and it's ceramic. It could take a while for the right tools to filter down to the OBs, and some may not want to work on ceramic even with the right tools.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 25, 2017

The pusher cap is held in place with a small spring clip...this is clearly not ceramic, but uses the same idea:

[​IMG]

Unlike a Speedmaster Pro that uses a screw to hold the cap on, and would typically have Loctite on the threads, the clip is relatively fragile. If the pusher was caught on something it could have been pulled enough to pop the clip off, and then the pusher would be gone....

Not sure I would want a boutique messing with this, unless they had a proper watchmaker there (not a Boutique Technician, who are essentially hired off the street, given a few weeks training, and then let loose on the watches).

Cheers, Al

11. bgkbck Apr 25, 2017

Nice....You'd think a watch with $12k retail, and the history behind this model, would have components that were little more durable.

Almost makes me want to sell it knowing a $4 part is holding pushers that could come off after getting hung up on a shirt sleeve or sweater.

Ridiculous!

Thanks for the insight Al.

BrianMcKay likes this.
  12. ras47 Apr 25, 2017

I've never heard of this happening before, which makes me think it was a freak thing. I'm very impressed with Omega's quality control on all their watches I've owned.