Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Co-axial Moonphase with Black Dial on Steel - New Arrival

1. KJH666 Jun 21, 2017

I have basically been lusting over one of these watches since Basel 2016. Given the size, height and weight I decided that it was a watch that I really needed to see in the flesh before making a final decision.

The release date was scheduled for Oct 2016, but in the UK they arrived in the major boutiques a week or so before Christmas and didn't really hit the normal High Street ADs in other towns and cities until around early March 2017. I was particularly impressed with the blue dial, but that was the model being used in reviews and podcasts etc.

Last month I finally got to see one in the flesh and try it on. I was surprised that it felt no bigger than a 42mm Speedmaster, a little higher perhaps, but not really a problem. I then went into serious thinking mode.

As more and more pictures of the whole range started to appear, the black dial on the SS Bracelet (30430445201001) really started to grow on me and I finally decided that was the watch for me.

Last week an opportunity to buy one arose and it arrived today. I appreciate that this watch is a marmite watch to purists, but for me it ticks many boxes. I like automatic watches, it has a date function and the NASA moonshot and footprint images used on the Moonphase are superb.

The bracelet has the latest micro adjustment with a push button and three micro adjustments. The watch is anti-magnetic and comes with four years warrenty.

I accept that it is not a moonwatch, it isn't supposed to be - it is another Speedmaster and is a welcome addition.

If the Rolex boys can get excited by the new SD having a line of Red, then this is the Omega equivalent.

Some images for you.

Thanks for reading,
    Ken

IMG_3695.JPG IMG_3705.JPG IMG_3707.JPG IMG_3712.JPG IMG_3716.JPG IMG_3718.JPG IMG_3719.JPG IMG_3732.JPG
    KstateSkier, Shailor, Jwit and 28 others like this.
  2. e_shayne_b Jun 21, 2017

It's a beauty, cheers

3. Riviera Paradise Jun 21, 2017

Congratulations Ken! Wear in excellent health.

IMO one of the most beautiful dials Omega makes right now. I would rate it as possibly the most interesting modern moonphase chronograph produced by any of the mainstream players in the luxury watch market (Omega, IWC, Rolex, JLC).

As many have mentioned before, case size can be an issue for some (perhaps more of an issue for those looking for a dressier look), but on the metal bracelet this watch is very sporty and can be rocked with a t-shirt & shorts.:)

4. Bushido Jun 21, 2017

Congratulations and excellent choice! I had ordered mine upon announcement...then waited and waited for the belated release. However, once I saw it in the metal and tried it on, I loved it and made the wait worth while. Enjoy the awesome watch!!

IMG_20170422_184340.jpg

vinn, Golfjunky, ras47 and 4 others like this.
  5. Kmart Jun 21, 2017

Great watch. Best moonphase wheel ever in my opinion.

And can I just take this opportunity to also say that I love your avatar? Something about it just makes me smile.

6. KJH666 Jun 21, 2017

Thanks for the comments guys, I am enjoying the watch and letting it grow on me. I was looking at comments about the hour hand being lost on the Speedy Tuesday as it crossed the white Sub dial with interest and checked this watch tonight as it got darker. The SS hands just stand out against the black dial so none of those issues here.

To Kmart, not sure where you are from, but it is the original Basil Brush who was a famous TV star in the UK in the late 60s and early 70s. They did an updated Basil a few years ago, but he just wasn't the same. The image is great, makes me smile too.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  7. Riviera Paradise Jun 21, 2017

Dirty Gertie from number thirty..boom, boom!:)

8. Exarkun12 Jun 22, 2017

Congrats! It is fantastic!

9. ras47 Jun 22, 2017

Sometimes it's the little things that bring the most joy. I need a watch to help me manage my day. I rely on it so it needs to be reliable and accurate. But why not a design I love to look at? Why not a watch with some history? Speedmaster checks all the boxes for me. I hope yours does the same for you. Congrats, and welcome to the club!!

10. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Jun 22, 2017

But the blue one though‽
    **wolf whistles while hitting himself over the head with his shoe**

11. KJH666 Jun 22, 2017

I thought that I wanted the blue dial and that was the one that I tried on at my local AD. It may sound stupid, but with the blue dial, the blue bezel insert and the blue leather strap - it was too, well blue.

I did find an image below of the blue dial on a SS Bracelet, which looks great, but it doesn't come like that so you would have to buy the bracelet as an add on.

After seeing the watches in the flesh the black dial on the bracelet was the combination for me.

IMG_1573.JPG
  12. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jun 22, 2017

Wow! What a great-looking watch! Congratulations :)

13. Aronis Jul 16, 2017

So after about a month any regrets on color or bracelet choice? I have been looking at the Too Blue model, but do like the black face with silver bracelet. Considering buying one (not as an investment LOL) as a watch. I am mystified about the shear range of prices on these products.

Mike

14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 16, 2017

Nice watch, but more importantly, are you a Fox or a Dog ::confused2::

15. KJH666 Jul 17, 2017

Absolutely no regrets after a month, in fact I haven't worn anything else and it's great not having to wind the watch. I am also glad that I opted for the bracelet version. There is always the option of buying the blue dial and paying extra for a bracelet, which would give you the option of swopping between the two. There are some images of the blue on a bracelet on google and it does look good.

Just one point, if it is a watch that you intend to wear on rotation with others a watch winder might be a good call as setting the Moonphase cycle would be a pain if you had to do it every time you took the watch out of the watch box.

Bottom line, go for it - it is a superb watch. It is also a watch that you should be able to find discounted, grey dealers in the UK sell these for about £1.5k below RRP, so worth shopping around.

16. KJH666 Jul 17, 2017

Not sure what that means, but a 6" male with 7" wrists if that helps.

17. Golfjunky Jul 17, 2017

Cracking, congrats.

18. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 17, 2017

Your avatar obviously :p

19. pianomankd Jul 17, 2017

Beautiful watch!!!

20. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 17, 2017

He's a FOG :)