Forums Latest Members
  1. griz84 Jul 6, 2018

Hello, I am hoping to take advice from some of the speedmaster experts here :)

When running the chronograph on my speedy Tuesday I have noticed the chronograph hand is jumping, it’s not a smooth sweep and looks jittery, especially between 10-20 seconds on the dial. It’s only just noticeable to the naked eye if you are looking for it, but slowed down it’s quite pronounced. Using the seconds track on the dial you can see it stop, and then jump forward 2 or 3 notches at times, then go back to functioning normally.

The watch keeps great time and the chronograph still functions accurately so it’s all a bit odd.

Thoughts?

2. Risto Jul 6, 2018

That does not seem normal. I just tested slo-mo on my moonwatch, King Seiko Chronometer, and Citizen bullhead chronograph - no jumping of second hand. Does it keep time ok?

3. griz84 Jul 6, 2018

Yes it keeps time great. I was considering waiting until the warranty was close to expiring before sending it for a warranty repair as I enjoy wearing it and it only appears to be a chronograph issue which I don’t often use...but I am reluctant to do so if this would risk any damage to the movement.

4. FreelanceWriter Jul 6, 2018

I'm not an expert about anything besides 70s-80s vintage hockey equipment, K9 behavior, strip clubs, and English grammar; but that's obviously a problem. Can't tell from the slo-mo if that's what the experts call "chrono stutter" or something much worse (or worse-looking to the lay eye); but even those who still believe (incorrectly) that chrono stutter is just a figment of our cognitive inability to accurately perceive the motion of a chono sweep hand (and Stevie Wonder) would recognize that as a watch problem and not an "illusion" attributable to our cognitive limitations or an endearing normal "quirk" on a SpMP. To date, the most annoying argument I've ever had with anybody on any watch forum (WUS 2009 or 2010). If it's new, get a new replacement ASAP; and if it's not new but under warranty, send it in before the warranty expires -- and from what I've read, don't be shocked if it comes back with residual issues IIRC from some of the complaints that generated that WUS thread responsible for my PTFSD. If it's not under warranty, I think some of the experts might recommend servicing it elsewhere than Omega.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 6, 2018

I had similar "discussions" with that individual...and similar frustrations with the nonsense he would write.

I don't think you will get a replacement of this LE, so sending it back to Omega for warranty repair is really the only solution for the fix unless the OP wants to send it to someone else and void the warranty...

To the OP - Slow motion is not the best way to see this fault. I can't tell really what the issue is there, so if you can post a video of it stuttering in real time that would help. It's likely the normal stuttering that can happen with these when the friction spring for the chronograph seconds recording wheel needs some adjustment - it's a simple fix.

Cheers, Al

ctpete likes this.
  6. griz84 Jul 6, 2018

Many thanks Archer, I am not wearing the watch today so will upload a video in real time tonight.

Assuming it is the normal stuttering, is there any disadvantage of waiting until close to the end of the warranty before sending to omega for a warranty repair?

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 6, 2018

No, it won't hurt anything to leave it.