Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Broad Arrow early 2000's, opinions ?

1. Blackdog Apr 19, 2022

Hello guys,
    I'm thinking about adding one of these to my humble Speedy collection. I always loved the white dial blue hands iteration (3551.20). I need to move a couple of ETA Blackbays first, but will likely consider going in this direction afterwards.

I see that these are still decently priced and I like the fact that the dimensions are very reasonable. I do not feel attracted to the extra thickness of the 99xx calibers (and the associated price, to be honest). I understand that it is a superior movement, but I think that they need another iteration to make them slimmer.

These older Speedies had a column wheel, vertical clutch chrono movement, which is good on paper. I seem to recall there were some teething problems back in the day, what's the verdict looking at them today ?

Please feel free to share pictures of yours !

2. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 19, 2022

These are IMO an upmarket version of the Moonwatch in exactly the same form factor (and a similar 178.0022 case number note). The later 9300 models are much bigger in comparison and are really a very different offering. There are no actual Moon connections since they don't use a Lemania derived movement, in fact it is rather more aristocratic that that as it is based on the F Piguet 1185. Many Omega collectors overlook them but do so to their disadvantage in my opinion, a healthy Broad Arrow is an excellent watch and this movement is in a family that has been used by AP, VC, Panerai, Blancpain, Breguet etc, with Omega being the lowest tier manufacturer to actually implement it!

There have been issues with the Omega development of this movement, particularly with the very first but these have been ironed out and a watch that has been back to Omega at least once should be fully reliable as the movements have received rolling updates which have ironed out the problems. Chuck Maddox was scathing about these when they were first released yet lauded the Grail which used something that is from the watch equivalent of the farmyard and I think he plain got it wrong.

Mine is the slightly later 3313 co-axial version, shown below. I am wearing this today in fact. The earlier 3303 movement model you refer to has a white or cream dial, this one has varying silver finishes so changes in look as the light catches it.

IMG_8396.jpg
    IMG_7133.JPG

Edited Apr 21, 2022
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 19, 2022

The F. Piguet based movement was much maligned, mostly by one person who made it his life's work (it seemed) to go into every thread on this movement in every forum and trash it. Yes, the chronograph had some possible issues, but in all of then that I've serviced over the years (in both Speedmasters and Seamaster chronographs), I've only ever seen one that was actually affected by one of the issues. Omega has upgraded all the chronograph parts that were problematic, so if you get a watch that was serviced after around 2008, all of the upgraded parts would have been installed as part of a normal service. Once that's done, the movement is fine.

For the co-axial version, this is the only movement that Omega made the decision to upgrade from the 2 level co-axial escapement, to the 3 level escapement. This resolves the inherent design flaw in the 2 level design, so it will be as reliable as any other 3 level co-axial escapement watch.

Cheers, Al

Blackdog likes this.
  4. Blackdog Apr 19, 2022

Thank you Al. Your insight based on professional experience really means a lot !

Just to confirm, the 3313 co-axial is the version with silver dial and "1957" below the "Speedmaster" (can you share the reference number by chance ?) and the non-coaxial is the 3303 movement with eggshell white dial and NO "1957", correct ? I need to see what I can find in Chrono24... though I can't really pull the trigger quite yet.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 19, 2022

The version you mention in your first post, the 35512000, has the ivory dial, no 1957 text, and uses the 3303, which is not a co-axial version of the movement.

The other is ref. 32110425002001, which has a white dial, the 1957 text, and uses the 3313.

Blackdog likes this.
  6. Blackdog Apr 19, 2022

Thank you very much, Al ! That's the info I needed !

7. funkright Apr 19, 2022

This is my Speedy BA GMT. Liked it soo much I bought it 2X. Won't let it go again... Model 3581.50.00

IMG_4562.jpeg
    Tekashi_145.022 likes this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 22, 2022

Love my 3313. Butter smooth and a joy to set and wind.

padders likes this.
  9. justacpa Apr 23, 2022

I like the broad arrow hands on the Speedy. Reminds me of my PO for some reason....

10. KnoP Apr 25, 2022

I like the 1957 replica from about 2010!
    looks most like the real 57.