Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Bracelet - it's a love / hate thing

1. petay Feb 5, 2016

i probably risk incurring the wrath of a few people but I have come to the realisation that I just don't like the Speedmaster bracelet.

I've had my speedy 3570 from new for about 4 years and was wearing it on a nato until that broke about a year ago and I mov d back to the bracelet as for some reason I was to lazy to order a new nato. The speedy then took backseat to a Rolex Explorer 2 16570 black face I picked up.

Having now ordered and fitted a new NATO I feel the watch looks a lot better and it's becoming the watch I reach for in the mornings now.

Would love to hear what other people think of the speedy bracelets compared to how the watch looks on a NATO.

Also just to mention - omega really need to have a look at themselves when it comes to the Bruce of their branded NATO straps....... £140...... BEHAVE!

image.jpeg
    Bozzo, CTS-V, nlogax and 3 others like this.
  2. ViperStripes Feb 5, 2016

I'm with Speedy on NATO or vintage leather looks best

nlogax, Baz9614, Etp095 and 1 other person like this.
  3. ViperStripes Feb 5, 2016

Bl00dy autocorrect

4. abrod520 Feb 5, 2016

I hate hate hate the newer chunky, heavy Speedmaster bracelets, but I can't get enough of the vintage stretch-link style. 1039s all day!

As for the Omega NATOs, they're super overpriced but they're so, so comfortable and perfect. One of these days I'll splurge on a modern Seamaster 300 MCO and buy an Omega NATO for it.

Bottom Ninth, Baz9614 and Etp095 like this.
  5. petay Feb 5, 2016

oooooo never really looked at the old bracelets before but the 1039s is a winner!

I think part of my issue with the new one is the polished central sections - just does not look right to me

6. shoota70 Feb 5, 2016

current Speedy bracelet is awful. It bums me out, to.

emilio likes this.
  7. bb58 Feb 5, 2016

It's definitely a love/hate relationship. I wear it more often in the winter because my wrist tends to swell up in the summer heat and that makes the bracelet very uncomfortable. Still, I'd love to just put an OEM NATO strap on it and be done with it. If only they didn't cost so much :(

8. yinzerniner Feb 5, 2016

The Speedy Pro is probably the best strap watch out there - 95% of combinations work. Nato, Perlon, Mesh, Leather, Ostrich, Nylon, etc.

As for the bracelet the newest model is a mess - too heavy, lack of adjustment, cumbersome clasp. The 1998 is very similar as well.

The 1498/1499 is the sweet spot IMO - solid end links, non-stampled construction, a friction clasp that's very solid and secure, taper from 20mm to 16mm, 18mm clasp, moderately light, decent adjustability.

Kuki and alford78 like this.
  9. Moonwatch78 Feb 6, 2016

This is an interesting thread. Been thinking about this recently as it's seemed that most posts about Speedies , on groups, forum etc favour straps. Maybe it's just a fashion and most things go in circles? Come back into fashion. The bracelet seems to be out of fashion at present but just to be different I must say that I wouldn't change the 1171 on my 145022-78 for strap as much as I like the look of leather or NATO. It's integral to the watch, creates a whole 'feel' and is beautifully tapered. Plus, it's what my dad who left me the watch always wore it on. But I also like the informal strap look so wear my FOIS on leather. I guess that's the beauty of the Speedy.It's versatility for different occasions and moods

10. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Feb 6, 2016

I've always liked the Speedy on a strap rather than the bracelet. I used to just like padded plain black, but recently I've noticed that a little colour in the stitching can work well. The latest I have bought for my 3570.50 is a Di Modell Rallye, (for a very reasonable £21 from Watch Obsession.)

11. DTMwatch Feb 6, 2016

I personally prefer Speedmasters on a strap, though I've never had an issue with the Speedmaster bracelet. I like the design of the Speedmaster bracelet, but again I always seem to prefer my Speedie on leather straps.

12. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Feb 7, 2016

I like Speedmasters on leather straps best. Love seeing all the fine leather strap choices the Omega Forums Speedmaster owners make and show in the photographs posted here. My own Speedmaster is on a leather strap.

The 1499 bracelet that came with my Speedmaster is the most comfortable watch bracelet I've ever worn. It is an attractive bracelet as well.

The NATO strap is most unappealing to me. No matter the supplier, no matter how much it cost, no matter what sort of combination of bright hues it may feature, the NATO strap gives the impression of being a field expedient repair, making do until a proper strap or bracelet can be fitted.

I'm intrigued by the appearance of the mesh bracelets seen in some 1960s photos of Speedmasters.

13. sirish19 Feb 7, 2016

I agree and don't really like the look of the newer bracelets. I put transitional on a brown leather strap and love the way it looks and feels. The plan was to wear it on leather in winter and switch back to the bracelet for the summer but find myself wearing the leather all the time. That might change if I can pick up correct 1039 bracelet for it.

14. LemansBoiler Feb 7, 2016

I must be in the minority, I actually like the look of the new bracelet on my moon watch over previous bracelets. I agree with the statements above about adjustability though.

It may all be a style trend, my wedding ring is part polished and part buffed white gold. 8 years ago, it seemed like half of the ring options were similar.

As for the NATO straps, I love the look and feel of wearing them. I only tend to wear the bracelet if I'm wearing a love sleeve shirt so the cuff doesn't catch on the extra NATO loop.

15. hugo Feb 7, 2016

I do love strap and nato with it
    It will give you different characters time by time due to different strap/nato design
    It would be fun to try on.

mgarelik likes this.
  16. GregH Feb 7, 2016

I generally prefer leather bands and of course ordered one as soon as I won my first Speedy on auction. It came with the 1450 bracelet and I've been surprised by how much I like it in fact the leather strap is still in its package. It rattles a bit and I'm not sure I've got it sized correctly but it's more comfortable than I expected and looks good too. Just not as dressy as I planned on a leather strap.

17. TMas Feb 8, 2016

I agree with @LemansBoiler. I find the newest Speedy Bracelet (1958/957) to be much nicer looking that the previous few. Very elegant. The lack of fine adjustability is just crazy though. $5k for a watch and you have to get lucky to have it fit correctly is anything BUT elegant.

PhilF likes this.
  18. OMEGA1957 Feb 9, 2016

It was the first thing I did when getting mine. Bracelet tossed to the side and black NATO installed. Praying OMEGA will bring back a brushed 3row bracelet like the 300 master co-axial, micro adjust and all, just brushed.

19. E MAN Feb 9, 2016

I like the new bracelet but I did find it hard to size. I had to adjust 3 times to get it right. Could have used just one more fine adjustment in the clasp. Still waiting for a few straps I ordered so I'm very anxious to see the comfort level once I can get them on there. I have a couple gasGasBones and one from Bas& Lokes coming. Shipping times suck butt...

E

20. Perseus Feb 23, 2016

The Speedy bracelet is fairly comfortable but I'm not in love with the look. I'm wondering if it's the polished pieces. I've been thinking of brushing the entire bracelet so it matches the Great White I used to own.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

Al22, Lonestar and seikoskar like this.