Forums Latest Members
  1. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Mar 31, 2015

Not having a lot of experience with the Speedmaster Professional, I'm wondering if the bezel can be knocked off or just come off through any sort of inattentiveness on the part of the wearer. Do they get loose? I'm not familiar with how the bezel is attached. Would it be prudent to acquire a proper spare bezel?

It's said that there are no stupid questions but sometimes we have to strain things a bit.

2. TheCaptainOfTech Mar 31, 2015

It would be very hard and unlikely for the bezel of the Speedmaster to be knocked off unless it was intentional. I have never had an experience were my Speedmaster bezel even moved never the less fallen off. There are videos on YouTube showing you the process to remove the bezel

Hope this answers your question

noelekal likes this.
  3. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Mar 31, 2015

Thanks for the reply.

The Speedmaster kept here only sees office wear so there's small chance of it suffering much while I sit at my desk. I recall reading about a fellow on some watch site or forum that was bemoaning the loss of his Speedmaster bezel which had apparently fallen off. Thought I'd ask here if that was a common problem.

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 1, 2015

Can they fall off?

No.

Can they get torn off by getting caught on the edge of something while your arm is going in another direction?

Possibly.

Maybe if you slipped on some spilled oil in the workshop and flung your arms backward and the bezel got caught in the edge of a 20 litre oil drum, Oh there's a million ways it could happen................................

noelekal likes this.
  5. pascs Apr 1, 2015

It is possible.

The majority of bezels are a tight fit onto the case and require a press to fit correctly. However I do have a combination of bezel / case where the bezel can be pushed on by hand and removed by hand. I think this is an old case and a new bezel and in this circumstance the bezel could fall off if simply knocked against something. Also if the bezel was cracked then it would be loose and could fall off.

But in normal situations with a fairly new watch I dont think the bezel could ever fall off unless as mentioned above where it could be caught on something

Beefylugs, noelekal and JimInOz like this.
  6. ock2915 Apr 1, 2015

Can´t think about loosing a bezel (nightmares:() , must be a horrible sensation :thumbsdown:(specially a base 1000)

noelekal likes this.
  7. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 1, 2015

I lost one after a day of riding around Bangkok on Motorcycle taxis and skytrain. Not a chance in hell of finding it

I suspect it wasnt on properly.

Vintage cases and bezels need careful fitting to make sure they have enough tension to fit.

I know all that now....

gemini4 and noelekal like this.
  8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 1, 2015

Yes it was a DO90

but several years ago so it wasnt as valuable.

Perhaps some enterprising fellow has copied it and making repros....

Oh no, thats next door in Vietnam....and Rolex

noelekal likes this.
  9. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Apr 1, 2015

I've heard of specially trained pick pockets who excel in lifting bezels :)

noelekal likes this.
  10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 1, 2015

"If you keep playing with it, it'll fall off." - Many a young boy's mother

11. kechke Apr 1, 2015

Mine fell off once and I pressed it on with the aid of a pair of padded pliers.
    I wore it regularly on motorcycle enduros, trials and many miles of street riding. It even completed the ISDT in 1970.
    It's still remains on the watch.

12. omega1972 Apr 1, 2015

Suppose anything in life is possible but a speedmaster bezel falling off unlikely.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 1, 2015

Yes it happens...not often in my experience, but it certainly can happen. Not only has it been posted about on forums (with new watches and old), but I also have received watches in for service with no bezel attached, and when I asked about it I was told the bezels had fallen off.

Now you can define "fallen off" any way you like, but the end result is the bezel can certainly go missing.

You can decide if getting a replacement is something you want to do, but if it is a current modern watch, then I would not be too concerned - Omega will be making bezels for a long time for these watches.

Cheers, Al