Forums Latest Members

Speedmaster Anniv. Apollo 11 quote

1. Flintlock May 21, 2019

On the back of the Apollo 11 Anniversary watch (it's so nice with the 18K moonshine gold subdial, blackened and laser-engraved) is an engraved quote by Neil Armstrong. It adds the "a" to the quote. I wonder why a Swiss company decided to go with a revisionist version. I little wiki search seems to show there are some people trying to claim Mr. Armstrong did say "a man." They use some convoluted reasoning.

I remember hearing it live, loud and clear. The strange grammar puzzled me at the time despite the wonderment of the landing.

2. taz101 May 21, 2019

It’s discussed on the other threads supposedly the ‘a’ got lost in interference but he had intended to say it hence Omega is honouring the message he wanted to say

Flintlock likes this.
  3. CaptDngr Jun 9, 2019

That's correct. Otherwise, the quote itself doesn't make sense. :)

And for the past 50 years, 85% of humans on this planet have been remembering it wrong, not wondering or asking why it doesn't make sense as written (without the "a").

txylee likes this.
  4. jpjsavage Jun 10, 2019

I thought it was classy of Omega to go with the quote as Armstrong intended. Good research and a nice tribute.

5. CaptDngr Jun 10, 2019

Completely agree! I'm really glad they used the correct quote exactly as Armstrong said it.

It has irked me over the past few decades that he keeps on getting misquoted simply because the radio cut out briefly.

6. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 10, 2019

This.

CaptDngr likes this.