Forums Latest Members
  1. Febtober Dec 4, 2014

Hello all,
    I am new to this forum and cannot seem to find the answer to my problem. I have had a 140.022 861 Speedy for about 15yrs, and it has always had the following problem. When using the Chrono, it starts and stops fine, but the sub-hour dial does not reset, while the other dials do. I am quite certain that it has never been thoroughly serviced, although it had a non-original crown when I bought it.
    What could be causing this issue?
    Where might I send it repair in the Milwaukee/Chicago area? Or, what are some reputable repair facilities elsewhere in the country? I have been reading some distressing things about the Omega authorized dealers on the East Coast.
    Thanks in advance,
    Ulysses

2. ashleysteadman Dec 4, 2014

Hello and welcome! :)

The 861 uses a cam/hammer system to reset the chronograph hands - I would suggest that the hour sub-dial may need a replacement wheel or similar. Regardless of previous owners, if you have had it for 15 years, but never serviced it, it is well over-due!! Best bet is to get it straight to a watchmaker. I'm not in the US but there's plenty of other members here who can probably recommend someone.

Enjoy your watch but get it serviced more regularly if you can afford to! :thumbsup:

Spacefruit likes this.
  3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 5, 2014

If it hasn't been serviced in 15 years (or more) you will be causing damage to it every time you let it run. Un-lubricated surfaces, that are built to tolerances of fractions of a millimetre, will be moving against each other and possibly worse than that. The old lubricants can form a resin like material that will trap any dirt that may have found its way into the watch and create an abrasive to grind away those moving parts. The result of this is higher bills to replace worn/damaged parts and can even lead to the watch being beyond economical repair.

You should be thinking nearer to 5/6 years for the service interval.

4. Febtober Dec 5, 2014

Great, thank you for the information.

What kind of a price should I be looking at for the sub-hour repair?
    What kind of price should I be looking at for a general servicing?
    What is the correct part numbers for the crown and stem? This is a 69 case back. As I mentioned, it has a crown without the Omega symbol, which I assume is non-original.
    Is there a way to repair the 1039 bracelet where some of the links have lost their "springiness"?
    I am in the Milwaukee/Chicago area. Where can I go locally? Who can I trust nationally?
    Photo Nov 14, 8 34 18 PM.jpg Photo Nov 14, 8 44 58 PM.jpg Photo Nov 14, 8 47 50 PM.jpg Photo Nov 14, 8 50 39 PM.jpg

Thanks again!
    Ulysses

5. jim13x Dec 5, 2014

You might try RGM Watches in PA. I think they charge $450 for chronograph service, plus parts. I've never used them personally but I've read good things about them.

6. ashleysteadman Dec 5, 2014

Totally right. You have a great watch - a classic among classics. Take it to a good watchmaker and get it overhauled - it will last another 15 years :)

@Archer is an amazing watchmaker- he's in Canada, but for the small price of a FedEx, it will be in great hands... Just a thought. We've all seen his work - he'll send you photos and information about the service he does which you'll probably not get anywhere else!

That's just my opinion anyway!

From even amazing watchmakers here in Sydney, Australia they are hard to deal with and won't provide any information about what they've done to your precious!

7. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 5, 2014

You can fix the bracelet. There has been a thread on here about this.

The member (apologies, I cant remember who it was) sourced a similar material to the original springs - I think it was something to do with the materials used to make musical instrument string, but I might be imagining that. A bit of time with the search feature should point you in the right direction.

As for the service, I'll let others guide you as I'm the other side of the Pond.

8. Febtober Feb 11, 2015

I am considering selling this watch, but need an additional 197 posts in order to list it here. Are there any other reputable places where I can list this? I have been selling on the bay of E for many years, but would rather avoid that crowd and the fees.
    Thanks,
    Ulysses

9. Febtober Feb 12, 2015

I contacted Archer, but he is not taking any new work. Any suggestions whom I can trust to have this watch repaired properly in the Milwaukee/Chicago area?
    Thanks much!
    Ulysses

10. Febtober Feb 13, 2015

I am thinking about getting this watch serviced, as opposed to selling it outright. I need help deciding how far to take it. I will have the internal problem fixed and the proper crown put on, I guess my question has more to do with the hands and dial. I have added two photos of the face. Another member commented on "staining" around the Speedmaster text. I have owned this for 15yrs and had never noticed it until he mentioned it. It is nigh undetectable in person, but there is some extremely light discoloration. He also thought there was a water stain on rust on the sub-second dial. The discoloration seen in there in the photo is just a reflection from the lighting. I think it is just the lumen is gone on the hand.
    Anyway, should I have all of the hands replaced? Some of them? Can they just be "re-lumed"? What about the hour markers? I want to replace as few parts as possible, as I am on team "keep it original".
    Thanks in advance,
    Ulysses

Photo Nov 14, 8 29 10 PM.jpg Photo Nov 14, 8 30 13 PM.jpg
  11. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 14, 2015

Keep it original.

Members can post items for sale if they have agreement from the mods first. The 200 post rule is to protect members by having some sort of screening of sales by recent joiners.