Speedmaster 60th spring bars...WTF? Owner is brain dead!

Posts
3,893
Likes
23,284
I'm reaching out to the community as my patience has all but ran out.

I'm no novice at this but what the hell is it with these spring bars? I've all but resigned myself to cut my strap off as I can't get those damn things removed with the any of the tools I have. I can't seem to get the fork onto the spring notch,,,

This is where omega falls way short of their competitor in Genève. Sizing the bracelet was a royal PITA and now the struggle with these spring bars?

Help appreciated...

PS; I still love my Speedmaster
 
Posts
4,495
Likes
10,986
This is thinner. Sounds like you have no shoulders on your spring bars. I use this combined with pressure. Work it out a little bit combined with the friction from pressure to keep the bar from springing back into position. Good luck.

 
Posts
2,477
Likes
3,866
Sounds like that one set of aftermarket spring bars I dealt with before. They had nothing to grip on by design, and the only possible way to get it out was to destroy the strap then twisting the whole bar out with a pair of pliers.

I've sized the 60th Speedy before and it's just like the rest of Omega watches... no problem at all except finding 19mm straps. Do you know if your spring bars are the original (including the set that is supplied with the watch hidden inside the back of the tool)?
 
Posts
7,775
Likes
14,367
This is thinner. Sounds like you have no shoulders on your spring bars. I use this combined with pressure. Work it out a little bit combined with the friction from pressure to keep the bar from springing back into position. Good luck.

Be sure to tape the lugs to prevent damage when the bars spring back after they are free of the lug.
 
Posts
3,893
Likes
23,284
Thanks...I'll give it a whirl.

Cheers,

Faz
 
Posts
24,797
Likes
55,079
I have never tried it personally, but there are youtube videos about using dental floss.
 
Posts
30,179
Likes
77,926
This is where omega falls way short of their competitor in Genève. Sizing the bracelet was a royal PITA and now the struggle with these spring bars?

As someone who removes and installs Omega spring bars daily, I have no idea why you are having issues. The spring bars used to hold the bracelet on this watch are standard Omega bars that are easily removed using a tool with the proper fork end. You mention a "strap" and this model came on a bracelet, so I have no idea what spring bars are in your strap.

IMO Omega makes the best spring bars around...
 
Posts
3,893
Likes
23,284
As someone who removes and installs Omega spring bars daily, I have no idea why you are having issues. The spring bars used to hold the bracelet on this watch are standard Omega bars that are easily removed using a tool with the proper fork end. You mention a "strap" and this model came on a bracelet, so I have no idea what spring bars are in your strap.

IMO Omega makes the best spring bars around...
I might have inadvertently used a different set of spring bars while playing with my straps...:whipped:
 
Posts
3,893
Likes
23,284
..but I still think that fitting the bracelet was not simple. 😉
 
Posts
667
Likes
1,219
...IMO Omega makes the best spring bars around...

+1.

Perfect tension, grippy shoulders, and nice long tips. Man, what a weird phrase to type, that was. But you're right. They're the best. And more importantly, they're easy to remove or install.
 
Posts
3,893
Likes
23,284
I managed to remove the wrongly installed by me, shoulderless spring bars :whipped:.
Edited post title accordingly! 😁

And yes...the Omega spring bars are a breeze...
 
Posts
3,893
Likes
23,284
So blaming Omega for having non-Omega spring bars. Fantastic.
Yes..aren't they an abhorrent bunch?
 
Posts
16,900
Likes
48,108
Google
Removing spring bars with dental floss
 
Posts
4,495
Likes
10,986
He really gives it a rip. Don't think I'll be doing that to any of my watches.

 
Posts
2,012
Likes
3,408
Toothpaste for polishing crystals...
Dental floss for removing springbars...
What next, mouthwash for cleaning cases?
 
Posts
3,184
Likes
3,856
Toothpaste for polishing crystals...
Dental floss for removing springbars...
What next, mouthwash for cleaning cases?

Believe it or not, I've seen an overnight dunk in mouthwash recommended for cleaning and disinfecting old harmonicas. I tried it once for the hell of it & it turned out to be as useful as you'd expect 🤦