Speedmaster 57 - 9906 - Winding Question

With the new Speedmaster 57 is there a stop point when winding?
I've been wearing mine for a couple of days which I wound it a couple of times without feeling a stop point or tension.

Anyone able to answer this one?

Didn't ask the AD because I didn't notice until I left, so I'll ask next time.

Also the chrono is a bit spongy when compared to how crisp the 3861 chrono is but this might be due to the 9906.
Wondering if anyone else has thoughts about the 9906 vs the 3861.

There is a definite stop point when winding. The “feel” of the winding though is very different than a 3861. The 3861 has linear feel to the winding. I believe because of the double or twin barrels on the 57 it has more resistance throughout and a less linear feel to the winding. But the feeling of the stop is identical to the 3861. My 57 is much tougher to wind than the 3861 I had. However winding stiffness can be incredibly watch specific.

As for the chronograph, personal preference issue. To me the 3861 had more of a Valjoux 7750 feel, whereas the 57 has more play in the pushers but a crisper stop/start/reset. That is likely the cam versus column wheel difference, but they both get the job done. Again though, both amazing watches and entirely personal preference on all of these issues.

There is a definite stop point when winding. The “feel” of the winding though is very different than a 3861. The 3861 has linear feel to the winding. I believe because of the double or twin barrels on the 57 it has more resistance throughout and a less linear feel to the winding. But the feeling of the stop is identical to the 3861. My 57 is much tougher to wind than the 3861 I had. However winding stiffness can be incredibly watch specific.

As for the chronograph, personal preference issue. To me the 3861 had more of a Valjoux 7750 feel, whereas the 57 has more play in the pushers but a crisper stop/start/reset. That is likely the cam versus column wheel difference, but they both get the job done. Again though, both amazing watches and entirely personal preference on all of these issues.

Thanks for that. I'll try a full wind now.
Agreed, my 3861 at the time when I got it was one of the first in my state and the pushers would violently click in when I pushed them, I loved it. Whereas the 57 is more refined due to the column wheel.
You're also right about both watches are pretty great.

Assuming you get out of the chair occasionally, you only have to wind it enough to start. There is no "full wind" feeling. Some say they can hear the mainspring slipping, but my ears aren't that good.

BTW, any automatic is different than a hand-cranker. With a hand-cranker, the outside end of the mainspring is solidly attached to the barrel, so upon a full wind it stops turning. An automatic has a "clutch" between the barrel and mainspring so the automatic train doesn't break things (900 turns of the oscillating weight results in seven turns of the mainspring; quite a mechanical advantage).

Assuming you get out of the chair occasionally, you only have to wind it enough to start. There is no "full wind" feeling. Some say they can hear the mainspring slipping, but my ears aren't that good.

BTW, any automatic is different than a hand-cranker. With a hand-cranker, the outside end of the mainspring is solidly attached to the barrel, so upon a full wind it stops turning. An automatic has a "clutch" between the barrel and mainspring so the automatic train doesn't break things (900 turns of the oscillating weight results in seven turns of the mainspring; quite a mechanical advantage).
9906 is not an automatic, it's in the new Speedmaster '57 line.

Pretty sure the first comment Doc O was right, there is a fine stop point. I didn't know until I felt it.