Speedmaster 3861 - Chronograph Issue

Hello, I purchased my first Omega, a Speedmaster 3861, from a boutique a couple months ago. I recently noticed that the central seconds hand appears to have a slight stutter/jump when the chronograph is running. I don't remember seeing this before but being that I am new to the Speedmaster and chronographs in general I'm curious to know whether this is normal behavior. In going back and watching some reviews of the 3861 on Youtube mine doesn't seem to have as 'smooth' of a sweep. I've posted a link to a short video of the issue on my watch for reference down below. Is this something I should have looked at by Omega's Service Center? TIA.

https://imgur.com/a/KUqZfeD

For me, it's difficult to see with the camera moving as it is in your video. This can create an illusion. In fact, just the movement of the hand passing through the second, minute and hour marks can create a stutter illusion.

The fact is that the Speedmaster runs at 3hz frequency (21,600vph), which is slower than other modern Omega movements (3.5hz, 25,200vph) and even slower than many other modern movements that commonly run at 4 Hz or 28,800vph. The slower frequency gives the watch a vintage vibe – the 321 movement ran even slower at 2.5 Hz (18,000vph).

Sometimes it happens that the chronograph gear, when engaged, hits the drive wheel at a point in which the hand "jumps" and might stutter for a few seconds before it settles down. I've seen this happen in my 3861 a few times.
Edited:

Hello, I purchased my first Omega, a Speedmaster 3861, from a boutique a couple months ago. I recently noticed that the central seconds hand appears to have a slight stutter/jump when the chronograph is running. I don't remember seeing this before but being that I am new to the Speedmaster and chronographs in general I'm curious to know whether this is normal behavior. In going back and watching some reviews of the 3861 on Youtube mine doesn't seem to have as 'smooth' of a sweep. I've posted a link to a short video of the issue on my watch for reference down below. Is this something I should have looked at by Omega's Service Center? TIA.

https://imgur.com/a/KUqZfeD

Yes - most likely the friction spring for the chronograph wheel doesn't have enough tension. Or the depth of tooth engagement between the chronograph wheel and the coupling wheel needs adjusting. The stutter can be seen quite clearly.

Get it serviced under warranty. You should get priority so it won't get stuck behind the regular servicing backlog (which can take months).

Yes - most likely the friction spring for the chronograph wheel doesn't have enough tension. Or the depth of tooth engagement between the chronograph wheel and the coupling wheel needs adjusting. The stutter can be seen quite clearly.
Would you happen to know if this is something the Service Center could look at/fix on the spot or would I have to leave it? If the latter, do you have any idea how long one might expect it to take? The nearest Service Center is pretty far from me. Thank you.

Would you happen to know if this is something the Service Center could look at/fix on the spot or would I have to leave it? If the latter, do you have any idea how long one might expect it to take? The nearest Service Center is pretty far from me. Thank you.

They could, but I have no idea if they will.

It would have to go away for diagnosis and repairs, sadly

They could, but I have no idea if they will.

It would have to go away for diagnosis and repairs, sadly

Thank you both! Another quick question (sorry!), in doing some further testing I noticed the stutter appears to happen mostly when the watch is fully wound. When it's down on power after about a day the chrono seconds hand 'sweeps' more smoothly. I presume this function still isn't considered normal?

Thank you both! Another quick question (sorry!), in doing some further testing I noticed the stutter appears to happen mostly when the watch is fully wound. When it's down on power after about a day the chrono seconds hand 'sweeps' more smoothly. I presume this function still isn't considered normal?

Most certainly not normal🙁
It's a warranty job👍

A few people have reported problems just like this with the chronograph on the early 3861 movements. It’ll come back from warranty service working flawlessly!

Unfortunately the linked video no longer works, but based on the description I seem to have the same problem the @yip1234 is describing with my 3861. My watch is mid-2022 production for reference.

This happens very inconsistently - and infrequently. The central chronograph hand will be a somewhat jerky and choppy for the first ten seconds or so before settling down. I’ve only witnessed this happening a few times, and it seems to be when the watch is near a full power reserve (after winding).

The rest of the watch functions perfectly, so unless there is a risk of imminent failure I’m tempted to just keep an eye on this, live with it and rectify near the end of the warranty period if needs be.

@yip1234 did anything else ever result from this? Thanks!

It's best to have the watch looked at by a qualified watchmaker or the Omega Service Center to diagnose and resolve the issue. Since your watch is relatively new, it should still be under warranty, and any repairs or adjustments needed should be covered.

@RushDom sorry to hear you’re having a similar issue with your Speedmaster. I was tempted to do the same as you and wait but my ocd got the best of me. I took it to an Omega Service Center shortly after the original post and had it fixed under warranty. It took about 4-5 weeks and the watch came back like new with no more skip/stuttering. Coincidently, my Speedmaster is a mid-2022 production as well.

Unfortunately the linked video no longer works, but based on the description I seem to have the same problem the @yip1234 is describing with my 3861. My watch is mid-2022 production for reference.

This happens very inconsistently - and infrequently. The central chronograph hand will be a somewhat jerky and choppy for the first ten seconds or so before settling down. I’ve only witnessed this happening a few times, and it seems to be when the watch is near a full power reserve (after winding).

The rest of the watch functions perfectly, so unless there is a risk of imminent failure I’m tempted to just keep an eye on this, live with it and rectify near the end of the warranty period if needs be.

@yip1234 did anything else ever result from this? Thanks!